* Athlon Thunderbird, Abit KT7 Raid, Kernel 2.4: DESKTOP FROZEN!
@ 2001-07-10 21:39 Antonio Pagliaro
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Antonio Pagliaro @ 2001-07-10 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

My box: Athlon Thunderbird 900 MHz, MotherboardAbit KT7 Raid,
Kernel 2.4 (the one that comes with Red Hat 7.1 no updates)

I get apparently random desktop freezing.

Last time:

I was just doing nothing so the screensaver
was on when I noticed the screen was frozen. Nor the keyboard
neither the mouse worked. No combination of CTRL-ALT keys.
Only choice left: reset. I did it.  When it booted again I got a

Kernel Panic: Attempted to kill the idle task
In idle: not syncing.

(by the way: what is the SysRq magic or something similar?
Does it help? Which keys??)

This time I had to unplug the computer. After 5 minutes I tried again.
In many trials I got hundreds of errors. These:

-After checking /root (passed), it stopped checking /home (failed)
and trying to repair it with fsck gave no result (when the computer
tried to reboot, it freezes again)

-After checking both /root and /home (passed), it stopped at sshd
saying: /etc/rc.d/rc line 117 951 segmentation fault  $i start

-At the end of the startup, black screen and message:
Id "x" respawning too fast disabled for 5 minutes (and waiting
produces the same message again: I had to unplug)

-Inside KDE, trying to open anything gave an error related to
inode and in a few seconds X was disabled again for 5 minutes.

Since somebody tells me the Oops is important, I noticed that
when this appeared it was 0002. If this helps..

After a couple of hours I tried and I was succesfull. Now it seems
to be everything ok.

Anyway, a desktop freezing happens every now and again and
no ctrl-alt-anything combination works. Just reset.
This is very dangerous, and even if so far the fsck was always ok,
I feel my data are at high risk this way.

At Red Hat support I got this suggestion:
>Since you are using KDE, there has been a few bugs in terms of memory hole
>that
>have been fixed.  You can check them out and apply the updtes to your
>machine
>and we'll see if that could the problem.
>
>http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHSA-2001-059.html

Is this really a KDE problem? I myself doubt...
It could be a kernel problem or maybe hardware (I checked
all the ram and removed one, but freezing is still there)

Thanks for any help, I am in trouble!!

Antonio

* Re: Athlon Thunderbird, Abit KT7 Raid, Kernel 2.4: DESKTOP FROZEN!
@ 2001-07-10 22:47 ` David Grant
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Grant @ 2001-07-10 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: antoniopagliaro, linux-kernel

I've had almost identical problems using Redhat 7.1 (2.4.2-2 kernel) on
Athlon 1.2 GHz Asus A7V133 with the VIA on-board IDE (686b).

Try switching to the other on-board IDE controller, should be HTP370 IDE.
It's probably the VIA southbridge that's causing you these troubles.  I
upgraded my kernel to 2.4.5 and 2.4.6 and nothing helped for me (I have a
686b, you have a 686a).  The only thing I could do was switch to my on-board
Promise IDE controller.  I have no idea what the HTP370 is, but I'm guessing
it won't cause you problems like the VIA will.

You could try compiling a new kernel 2.4.5 or 2.4.6.  There were many IDE
fixes between 2.4.2 and 2.4.6.  Especially with the VIA stuff I think,
thanks to Vojtech Pavlick.  However, I never got my VIA controller to work.
Even if I disabled all DMA it still crashed the kernel every time.

David Grant

@ 2001-07-11  8:42 ` Ookhoi
From: Ookhoi @ 2001-07-11  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Pagliaro; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi Antonio,

> (by the way: what is the SysRq magic or something similar?
> Does it help? Which keys??)

You can find more on this in the kernel source:
linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt

	Ookhoi

* Re: Athlon Thunderbird, Abit KT7 Raid, Kernel 2.4: DESKTOP FROZEN!
@ 2001-07-11  8:56 ` Chris Vandomelen
From: Chris Vandomelen @ 2001-07-11  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Pagliaro; +Cc: linux-kernel

> My box: Athlon Thunderbird 900 MHz, MotherboardAbit KT7 Raid,
> Kernel 2.4 (the one that comes with Red Hat 7.1 no updates)
>
> I get apparently random desktop freezing.

Hmm, I have a similar machine.
	K7-800, KT7 RAID, 2.4.5 kernel (was .0 at install time).

> Last time:
>
> I was just doing nothing so the screensaver
> was on when I noticed the screen was frozen. Nor the keyboard
> neither the mouse worked. No combination of CTRL-ALT keys.
> Only choice left: reset. I did it.  When it booted again I got a
>
> Kernel Panic: Attempted to kill the idle task
> In idle: not syncing.

Err.. attempted to kill the idle task? Are you sure you don't have an
overheating processor?

> (by the way: what is the SysRq magic or something similar?
> Does it help? Which keys??)

SysRq will only help if the machine is responsive; and then even still
it's not going to correct issues like overheating processors and etc.

<snip>

> Is this really a KDE problem? I myself doubt...
> It could be a kernel problem or maybe hardware (I checked
> all the ram and removed one, but freezing is still there)

Shhouldn't be a problem with KDE. It *could* be with X, since (unless
you're using the framebuffer driver), it's directly accessing the
hardware.

Try starting up to a console and building a kernel with fb support, and
then use X through that and see if that solves any problems. (I haven't
had a single crash since; just that, for some reason, the sysrq key gets
disabled on startup and occasionally a framebuffer program will crash and
take my keyboard along with it. "Oops".)

> Thanks for any help, I am in trouble!!
>
> Antonio
>
> -

* Re: Athlon Thunderbird, Abit KT7 Raid, Kernel 2.4: DESKTOP FROZEN!
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-07-11  8:56 ` Jean Schurger
From: Jean Schurger @ 2001-07-11  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: antoniopagliaro; +Cc: linux-kernel

In alcove.lists.linux.kernel, you wrote:

> My box: Athlon Thunderbird 900 MHz, MotherboardAbit KT7 Raid,
> Kernel 2.4 (the one that comes with Red Hat 7.1 no updates)
>
> I get apparently random desktop freezing.
>
> Last time:
>
> I was just doing nothing so the screensaver
> was on when I noticed the screen was frozen. Nor the keyboard
> neither the mouse worked. No combination of CTRL-ALT keys.
> Only choice left: reset. I did it.  When it booted again I got a
>
> Kernel Panic: Attempted to kill the idle task
> In idle: not syncing.
>
> (by the way: what is the SysRq magic or something similar?
> Does it help? Which keys??)
>
> This time I had to unplug the computer. After 5 minutes I tried again.
> In many trials I got hundreds of errors. These:

Try to compile a kernel without the Athlon optimization (just K6...).

--
Jean.Schurger@fr.alcove.com - Open Source Software Engineer
Alcove - (+33) 1 49 22 68 00 - http://www.alcove.com