* Re: Small Help required!!!
       [not found] <BLEAIJDEHOOAGALIAAKBMEPCCCAA.pranav@nodeinfotech.com>
@ 2004-11-01 21:49 ` David Stevens
From: David Stevens @ 2004-11-01 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pranav; +Cc: linux-kernel, netdev

netdev-bounce@oss.sgi.com wrote on 10/30/2004 08:32:55 AM:

> hi,
> I needed some information about how to proceed with implementing a Name
> Switch Server plugin that
> allows to resolve multicast DNS names using normal libc calls(such as
> gethostbyname()).

> If someone has knowledge in this regard,please mail me back.

I think this will already work as-is. All you should need to do is
register the multicast address in the DNS server.

Have you tried it? Some well-known multicast addresses (like NTP's) are
commonly registered with root servers already.

I haven't tried using "gethostbyame()" on a multicast address that is
registered, but I'm not aware of any checks on the class of the address
in any of the code.

                                        +-DLS

only message in thread, other threads:[~2004-11-01 23:01 UTC | newest]