* LILO wont boot  my kernel image: More details...
@ 2001-01-23  4:52 Gregg Lloyd
From: Gregg Lloyd @ 2001-01-23  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,
I have a 2.2.5-15 kernel linux system (red Hat 6.0) that is installed on /dev/hdc2. I boot it from a floppy.
Recently, I did compile my new kernel 2.4 on my Linux System.
On the boot floppy, I have LILO (On the hard drive, there's also LILO).
For booting my new kernel (/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0), I added following stanza to /etc/lilo.conf (the one on the hard drive):
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0
label=linux2.4
root=/dev/hdc2
read-only.
Lilo was correctly saved (/sbin/lilo..or lilo would display "Added linux2.2 *
Added linux2.4, Added dos).
But when I rebooted the system
with the boot floppy, LILO wont display linux2.4 so that I can boot with it!
LILO would only show up the old linux.
I went adding the same stanza (as previously mentionned) to /etc/lilo.conf
that is on the floppy. But the problem is still the same: I do not have the choice to boot with linux2.4!
I tried "lilo -b /dev/fd0" (after /dev/fd0
have been correctly mounted), but system
weirdly complained that "open /boot/message: No such file or directory" (which is wrong!).
I got same error message when trying "lilo -C /mnt/floppy/etc/lilo.conf"!
******Here is my /etc/lilo.conf on hard drive*********
boot=/dev/hdc2
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15
label=linux2.2
root=/dev/hdc2
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0
label=linux2.4
root=/dev/hdc2
read-only
other=/dev/hda1
label=dos
table=/dev/hda
*******Here's lilo.conf on boot floppy*****
boot=/dev/fd0
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
prompt
image=/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15
label=linux2.2
root=/dev/hdc2
image=/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15
label=rescue
append="load_ramdisk=2 prompt_ramdisk=1"
root=/dev/fd0
image=/vmlinuz-2.4.0
label=linux2.4
root=/dev/hdc2
other=/dev/hda1
label=dos
table=/dev/hda

Get your small business started at Lycos Small Business at http://www.lycos.com/business/mail.html
-

* Probably Off-topic Question...
@ 2001-01-23  5:40 ` Alan Olsen
From: Alan Olsen @ 2001-01-23  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

This is probably a user-land and/or undocumented thing, but I am not
certain where to get the correct info.

Does anyone know how to get the screen brightness control to work on a
Sony Vaio N505VE?  There seems to be some sort of proprietary hook to get
it to work that requires their install of Windows.  (This is a problem as
it was removed immediatly after purchacing the laptop.)

I figured someone here might know, since at least one person on this list
has a Vaio.  (Unless Linus sold it to buy more beer. ]:> )

Pointers to a non-Windows solution would be appreciated, as it is hell on
my battery life.

BTW, the Yamaha sound chip in the Vaio is supported under Alsa.  You might
ask them what they did to get it to work, so it can be included in the
stock kernel. (Or maybe it already has and I have just not been looking.)

And as for code comments, they should be written in Ancient Greek with
code examples taken from APL and BCPL and written using the ISO character
set for Sanscrit.  (To avoid complaints of swear words appearing in them
by the morally clenched.)

alan@ctrl-alt-del.com | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.
    "In the future, everything will have its 15 minutes of blame."

-

* Re: Probably Off-topic Question...
@ 2001-01-23 20:32   ` Adam Fritzler
From: Adam Fritzler @ 2001-01-23 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Olsen; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Alan Olsen wrote:

> BTW, the Yamaha sound chip in the Vaio is supported under Alsa.  You might
> ask them what they did to get it to work, so it can be included in the
> stock kernel. (Or maybe it already has and I have just not been looking.)

The ymf_pci driver in any recent kernel works just fine on the yamaha in
the vaio's.  That is, unless you want to record.

-

* Re: Probably Off-topic Question...
@ 2001-01-24 17:14   ` Steve Underwood
From: Steve Underwood @ 2001-01-24 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Alan Olsen wrote:

> This is probably a user-land and/or undocumented thing, but I am not
> certain where to get the correct info.
>
> Does anyone know how to get the screen brightness control to work on a
> Sony Vaio N505VE?  There seems to be some sort of proprietary hook to get
> it to work that requires their install of Windows.  (This is a problem as
> it was removed immediatly after purchacing the laptop.)

All the newer Vaios seem to have this problem. They rely on support from
Windows to control the brightness, instead of doing it through the BIOS,
like older machines. I don't know a solution. More annoyingly, they
won't hibernate, as they rely on Windows Me or 2000 doing it for them.
The APM hibernate in the BIOS seems to have gone. I have a Z505GAT,
which I think is the Asian version of the model sold in the US as the
Z505LE. I guess this will become the norm now none of the current
versions of Windows require any hibernation support from the BIOS. The
hibernate to swap patch for Linux really needs to get into the
mainstream, and be more thoroughly exercised.

> And as for code comments, they should be written in Ancient Greek with
> code examples taken from APL and BCPL and written using the ISO character
> set for Sanscrit.  (To avoid complaints of swear words appearing in them
> by the morally clenched.)

If they aren't in ASCII, they don't follow the C standard.

Regards,
Steve
-

* Re: Probably Off-topic Question...
@ 2001-01-24 17:30     ` Mark Smith
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Mark Smith @ 2001-01-24 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Underwood; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 01:14:19AM +0800, Steve Underwood wrote:
> > This is probably a user-land and/or undocumented thing, but I am not
> > certain where to get the correct info.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to get the screen brightness control to work on a
> > Sony Vaio N505VE?  There seems to be some sort of proprietary hook to get
> > it to work that requires their install of Windows.  (This is a problem as
> > it was removed immediatly after purchacing the laptop.)
>
> All the newer Vaios seem to have this problem. They rely on support from
> Windows to control the brightness, instead of doing it through the BIOS,
> like older machines. I don't know a solution. More annoyingly, they
> won't hibernate, as they rely on Windows Me or 2000 doing it for them.
> The APM hibernate in the BIOS seems to have gone. I have a Z505GAT,
> which I think is the Asian version of the model sold in the US as the
> Z505LE. I guess this will become the norm now none of the current
> versions of Windows require any hibernation support from the BIOS. The
> hibernate to swap patch for Linux really needs to get into the
> mainstream, and be more thoroughly exercised.

if anyone finds a way of dimming the brightness make sure you post!
besides killing the battery, it also makes it hard to use in dark
places such as night flights.  i feel as if i'm lighting up the
cabin in these cases.

my vaio F-series used to sleep correctly under RH6.1.  it now hangs
forever making the sleep mode much less useful.

--
Mark Smith
mark@winksmith.com

* Re: Probably Off-topic Question...
@ 2001-01-24 19:40       ` Steven Ellmore
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Steven Ellmore @ 2001-01-24 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mark; +Cc: Steve Underwood, linux-kernel

My VAIO Z505HS brightness control works under Linux.

Shift + Fn + Brightness (F5) dims
Fn + Brightness brightens

If it makes a difference I'm using Left Shift and Left Fn and as you
might expect I'm holding both of those down and then tapping F5 the
required number of times.

-Steve Ellmore

-

* Re: Probably Off-topic Question...
@ 2001-01-24 22:38         ` Mark Smith
From: Mark Smith @ 2001-01-24 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Ellmore; +Cc: Steve Underwood, linux-kernel

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 07:40:14PM +0000, Steven Ellmore wrote:
> My VAIO Z505HS brightness control works under Linux.
>
> Shift + Fn + Brightness (F5) dims
> Fn + Brightness brightens
>
> If it makes a difference I'm using Left Shift and Left Fn and as you
> might expect I'm holding both of those down and then tapping F5 the
> required number of times.

none of these things change my brightness one way or the other.
in particular, which part of the OS would be responsible for
watching these keystrokes and making the appropriate changes?

others have told me about this keystroke.  someone had suggested
that this works differently on my system because i have a newer
bios?

--
Mark Smith
mark@winksmith.com

* Re: Probably Off-topic Question...
@ 2001-01-24 22:51           ` alex
From: alex @ 2001-01-24 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Smith; +Cc: Steven Ellmore, Steve Underwood, linux-kernel

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 05:38:54PM -0500, Mark Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 07:40:14PM +0000, Steven Ellmore wrote:
> > My VAIO Z505HS brightness control works under Linux.
> >
> > Shift + Fn + Brightness (F5) dims
> > Fn + Brightness brightens
[...]
> none of these things change my brightness one way or the other.
> in particular, which part of the OS would be responsible for
> watching these keystrokes and making the appropriate changes?

With the Z505H/J series, this is handled entirely by the BIOS and the OS has
no part of it.  I'm not sure about the L's, but they're otherwise fairly
similar to the H/J's.  (I have absolutely no idea about other lines like the
picturebooks, of course, as the different lines from Sony are effectively
completely unrelated.)

> others have told me about this keystroke.  someone had suggested
> that this works differently on my system because i have a newer
> bios?

This is possible.  I don't know why they would change this, unless it was some
requirement of propertly integrating the newer Windows versions, which is
possible.  In this case, my guess is that it's probably exposed via ACPI or
something similar.  Any ACPI folks got thoughts on this as a possibility (and
how one might find out)?  I have to admit I haven't played with it much.

-alex
-

* Re: Probably Off-topic Question...
@ 2001-01-24 23:04             ` mirabilos
From: mirabilos @ 2001-01-24 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-Kernel ML

Nono it can't be the BIOS coz then it won't work under Losedoze (old vers, e.g. Wfw 3.11 with Win32s).
AFAIK it's the "keyboard controller" (i.e. the chipset)

For my Scenic Mobile 510 everything works fine under DOS, NT 5 (though _this_ Windoze _has_ advanced features) and Linnux.

mirabilos

-

* Re: Probably Off-topic Question...
@ 2001-01-25  1:26       ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-01-25  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mark; +Cc: Steve Underwood, linux-kernel

> if anyone finds a way of dimming the brightness make sure you post!
> besides killing the battery, it also makes it hard to use in dark
> places such as night flights.  i feel as if i'm lighting up the
> cabin in these cases.

http://samba.org/picturebook

should have it

-

* Re: Probably Off-topic Question...
@ 2001-01-25  2:22         ` Steve Underwood
From: Steve Underwood @ 2001-01-25  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: linux-kernel

Alan Cox wrote:

> > if anyone finds a way of dimming the brightness make sure you post!
> > besides killing the battery, it also makes it hard to use in dark
> > places such as night flights.  i feel as if i'm lighting up the
> > cabin in these cases.
>
> http://samba.org/picturebook
>
> should have it

Ah, Mr Cox. You are a truly warm and wonderful human being. I can
confirm the setbrightness utility at the above URL not only works for a
picturebook. It works for a Z505GAT as well. That should mean it is OK
for a Z505LE in the US, too. The LE and GAT are significantly different
from older Vaios. The older ones all seem to use Neomagic video
controllers. These new models, and the new Crusoe picturebook, use ATI
Rage mobility. There might, therefore, be a number of subtle differences
from the behaviour of older models.

Now I just need ACPI hibernate to swap space, and a Gnome utility to
control this brightness thingy in my control panel! Oh, and of course
that Conexant modem port might be useful sometimes, if it worked!

Regards,
Steve
-

* Re: Probably Off-topic Question...
@ 2001-01-25  3:04           ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-01-25  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Underwood; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel

> > http://samba.org/picturebook
> >
> > should have it
>
> Ah, Mr Cox. You are a truly warm and wonderful human being. I can

Thank Tridge not me, all I had to do was ask him the URL 8)
-

* Re: Probably Off-topic Question...
@ 2001-01-25 18:26     ` Thunder from the hill
From: Thunder from the hill @ 2001-01-25 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Underwood wrote:

> Alan Olsen wrote:
> >
> > This is probably a user-land and/or undocumented thing, but I am not
> > certain where to get the correct info.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to get the screen brightness control to work on a
> > Sony Vaio N505VE?  There seems to be some sort of proprietary hook to get
> > it to work that requires their install of Windows.  (This is a problem as
> > it was removed immediatly after purchacing the laptop.)
>
> All the newer Vaios seem to have this problem. They rely on support from
> Windows to control the brightness, instead of doing it through the BIOS,
> like older machines. I don't know a solution. More annoyingly, they
> won't hibernate, as they rely on Windows Me or 2000 doing it for them.
> The APM hibernate in the BIOS seems to have gone. I have a Z505GAT,
> which I think is the Asian version of the model sold in the US as the
> Z505LE. I guess this will become the norm now none of the current
> versions of Windows require any hibernation support from the BIOS. The
> hibernate to swap patch for Linux really needs to get into the
> mainstream, and be more thoroughly exercised.
Couldn't it be possible to write a "hole" or such into the kernel's vaio
driver - or even a /dev file - which can be used by some program to set
screen brightness?

Cheers!
Thunder
-

* Re: Probably Off-topic Question...
@ 2001-01-25 18:36       ` Thunder from the hill
       [not found]         ` <20010125155809.26969@winksmith.com>
From: Thunder from the hill @ 2001-01-25 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Smith wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 01:14:19AM +0800, Steve Underwood wrote:
> > > This is probably a user-land and/or undocumented thing, but I am not
> > > certain where to get the correct info.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know how to get the screen brightness control to work on a
> > > Sony Vaio N505VE?  There seems to be some sort of proprietary hook to get
> > > it to work that requires their install of Windows.  (This is a problem as
> > > it was removed immediatly after purchacing the laptop.)
> >
> > All the newer Vaios seem to have this problem. They rely on support from
> > Windows to control the brightness, instead of doing it through the BIOS,
> > like older machines. I don't know a solution. More annoyingly, they
> > won't hibernate, as they rely on Windows Me or 2000 doing it for them.
> > The APM hibernate in the BIOS seems to have gone. I have a Z505GAT,
> > which I think is the Asian version of the model sold in the US as the
> > Z505LE. I guess this will become the norm now none of the current
> > versions of Windows require any hibernation support from the BIOS. The
> > hibernate to swap patch for Linux really needs to get into the
> > mainstream, and be more thoroughly exercised.
>
> if anyone finds a way of dimming the brightness make sure you post!
> besides killing the battery, it also makes it hard to use in dark
> places such as night flights.  i feel as if i'm lighting up the
> cabin in these cases.
>
> my vaio F-series used to sleep correctly under RH6.1.  it now hangs
> forever making the sleep mode much less useful.
Maybe it has some problems with the way you send it to sleep. It could
have changed through the times...

Cheers!
Thunder
---
I did a "cat /boot/vmlinuz >> /dev/audio" - and I think I heard god...
-

* [OT] Vaio Brightness [WAS: Probably Off-topic Question...]
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-01-27  0:38       ` Drew Bertola
From: Drew Bertola @ 2001-01-27  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, I stuffed Tridge's inb / outb program into a little gnome window.  Just
seems easier to have a spinbox to adjust brightness.  Shits and giggles.

You can find it at: http://drew.serialhacker.net/vaio_control.tar.gz

You either have to run it as root or throw the executable into
/usr/local/bin and set the sticky bit.

Drew

Thunder from the hill writes:
> Mark Smith wrote:

> > > All the newer Vaios seem to have this problem. They rely on support from
> > > Windows to control the brightness, instead of doing it through the BIOS,
> > > like older machines. I don't know a solution. More annoyingly, they
> > > won't hibernate, as they rely on Windows Me or 2000 doing it for them.
> > > The APM hibernate in the BIOS seems to have gone. I have a Z505GAT,
> > > which I think is the Asian version of the model sold in the US as the
> > > Z505LE. I guess this will become the norm now none of the current
> > > versions of Windows require any hibernation support from the BIOS. The
> > > hibernate to swap patch for Linux really needs to get into the
> > > mainstream, and be more thoroughly exercised.
> >
> > if anyone finds a way of dimming the brightness make sure you post!
> > besides killing the battery, it also makes it hard to use in dark
> > places such as night flights.  i feel as if i'm lighting up the
> > cabin in these cases.
> >
> > my vaio F-series used to sleep correctly under RH6.1.  it now hangs
> > forever making the sleep mode much less useful.
> Maybe it has some problems with the way you send it to sleep. It could
> have changed through the times...
>
> Cheers!
> Thunder
> ---
> I did a "cat /boot/vmlinuz >> /dev/audio" - and I think I heard god...
> -

Drew Bertola  | Send a text message to my pager or cell ...
              |   http://jpager.com/Drew

-

* Re: Probably Off-topic Question...
       [not found]             ` <20010126223246.34429@winksmith.com>
@ 2001-01-27 23:17               ` Thunder from the hill
From: Thunder from the hill @ 2001-01-27 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Smith wrote:

> > > i just push the sleep button.  it used to work under RH6.1.  under RH7.0
> > > it never wakes up.
> > Well, this seems not to be right...
> > Already any idea?
>
> i haven't had a chance to look at it.  i'm not quite sure where to start
> looking either.  i suppose i could track down if there's any resource
> still running?  trying out different configurations.  it's kinda annoying.
> the battery drain on linux is pretty high so it would be useful to sleep
> to save juice.  not quite annoying enough yet to start debugging though.
> too many other things above it on the sliding scale.
Hmmm... Can you access objects on the penguin via network? Try using
telnet, or better ssh, to be sure if it is a crash or a graphic error.

Thunder
---
Woah... I did a "cat /boot/vmlinuz >> /dev/audio" - and I think I heard
god...

-