* Thinkpad T42, keyboard sometimes hosed when waking from sleep
@ 2004-12-13 22:56 Juergen Botz
From: Juergen Botz @ 2004-12-13 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have a new IBM Thinkpad T42, FC3 with all updates, stock
2.6.9-1.681_FC3 kernel + iwp2200 driver (0.13).  Everyone once
in a while when I wake from ACPI S3 sleep my keyboard is hosed...
the first key I press starts rapidly auto-repeating, which can't
be stopped, and pressing any key produces either no visible
action or some other character (not the one normally on that
key) which also auto repeats madly.

It doesn't always happen, only maybe 10% of the time I come
out of S3.  I can't switch to different vt since ctrl-alt-fN
don't work, and since I am rarely on a text console I have
no idea whether it would happen there.  Putting the machine
back to sleep and re-waking doesn't fix it, so my only option
has been to reboot via the 'Actions' menu (mouse is ok through
all this.)

Others have also reported this happening with APM, so it
doesn't seem to be an ACPI bug per se.

Any ideas?

:j

* Re: Thinkpad T42, keyboard sometimes hosed when waking from sleep
@ 2004-12-13 23:55 ` Adam Sulmicki
From: Adam Sulmicki @ 2004-12-13 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Botz; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Juergen Botz wrote:

> I have a new IBM Thinkpad T42, FC3 with all updates, stock
> 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 kernel + iwp2200 driver (0.13).  Everyone once
> in a while when I wake from ACPI S3 sleep my keyboard is hosed...
> the first key I press starts rapidly auto-repeating, which can't
> be stopped, and pressing any key produces either no visible
> action or some other character (not the one normally on that
> key) which also auto repeats madly.
>
> It doesn't always happen, only maybe 10% of the time I come
> out of S3.  I can't switch to different vt since ctrl-alt-fN
> don't work, and since I am rarely on a text console I have
> no idea whether it would happen there.  Putting the machine
> back to sleep and re-waking doesn't fix it, so my only option
> has been to reboot via the 'Actions' menu (mouse is ok through
> all this.)
>
> Others have also reported this happening with APM, so it
> doesn't seem to be an ACPI bug per se.
>
> Any ideas?

just another data point. I had seen the same thing happen for me once with
my T41p. Same config as above ie FC3, 2.6.9-1.681_FC3.

might be some RH-FC specific thing since I did not see it happen with
earlier incarnations of kernel.

* Re: Thinkpad T42, keyboard sometimes hosed when waking from sleep
@ 2004-12-14 16:25   ` Michael Clark
From: Michael Clark @ 2004-12-14 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sulmicki, Juergen Botz; +Cc: linux-kernel

Adam Sulmicki wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Juergen Botz wrote:
>
>> I have a new IBM Thinkpad T42, FC3 with all updates, stock
>> 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 kernel + iwp2200 driver (0.13).  Everyone once
>> in a while when I wake from ACPI S3 sleep my keyboard is hosed...
>> the first key I press starts rapidly auto-repeating, which can't
>> be stopped, and pressing any key produces either no visible
>> action or some other character (not the one normally on that
>> key) which also auto repeats madly.
>>
>> It doesn't always happen, only maybe 10% of the time I come
>> out of S3.  I can't switch to different vt since ctrl-alt-fN
>> don't work, and since I am rarely on a text console I have
>> no idea whether it would happen there.  Putting the machine
>> back to sleep and re-waking doesn't fix it, so my only option
>> has been to reboot via the 'Actions' menu (mouse is ok through
>> all this.)
>>
>> Others have also reported this happening with APM, so it
>> doesn't seem to be an ACPI bug per se.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>

> just another data point. I had seen the same thing happen for me once
> with my T41p. Same config as above ie FC3, 2.6.9-1.681_FC3.
>
> might be some RH-FC specific thing since I did not see it happen with
> earlier incarnations of kernel.

I get the same thing on Debian/sid with pretty much stock 2.6.9
on a T42 - so probably not a RH-FC think - and I'm using APM.

~mc

* Re: Thinkpad T42, keyboard sometimes hosed when waking from sleep
@ 2004-12-20 19:02 ` Paul Walmsley
From: Paul Walmsley @ 2004-12-20 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Botz; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Juergen Botz wrote:

> I have a new IBM Thinkpad T42, FC3 with all updates, stock
> 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 kernel + iwp2200 driver (0.13).  Everyone once
> in a while when I wake from ACPI S3 sleep my keyboard is hosed...
> the first key I press starts rapidly auto-repeating, which can't
> be stopped, and pressing any key produces either no visible
> action or some other character (not the one normally on that
> key) which also auto repeats madly.

I'm also seeing this behavior on an HP Omnibook 6000 laptop running Red
Hat's latest release of 2.6.9 - same kernel version as the above poster.
Upon resume, the keyboard malfunctions but the touchpad works fine. It
happens with either ACPI or APM.  (I did notice that during ACPI resume,
the machine spits out several error messages from atkbd.c to the kernel
message log - when I've next got serial console access, I'll post them
here.)

This behavior happens about 2/3rds of the time that the machine comes out
of suspend.  It did not occur with any of the 2.6 kernels that shipped
with Fedora Core 2 before FC3 came out.

- Paul

* Re: Thinkpad T42, keyboard sometimes hosed when waking from sleep
       [not found] ` <3b7Xs-6uL-23@gated-at.bofh.it>
@ 2004-12-14  1:41   ` Vincent C Jones
From: Vincent C Jones @ 2004-12-14  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <3b7Xs-6uL-23@gated-at.bofh.it> you write:

>On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Juergen Botz wrote:
>
>> I have a new IBM Thinkpad T42, FC3 with all updates, stock
>> 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 kernel + iwp2200 driver (0.13).  Everyone once
>> in a while when I wake from ACPI S3 sleep my keyboard is hosed...
>> the first key I press starts rapidly auto-repeating, which can't
>> be stopped, and pressing any key produces either no visible
>> action or some other character (not the one normally on that
>> key) which also auto repeats madly.
>>
>> It doesn't always happen, only maybe 10% of the time I come
>> out of S3.  I can't switch to different vt since ctrl-alt-fN
>> don't work, and since I am rarely on a text console I have
>> no idea whether it would happen there.  Putting the machine
>> back to sleep and re-waking doesn't fix it, so my only option
>> has been to reboot via the 'Actions' menu (mouse is ok through
>> all this.)
>>
>> Others have also reported this happening with APM, so it
>> doesn't seem to be an ACPI bug per se.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
>just another data point. I had seen the same thing happen for me once with
>my T41p. Same config as above ie FC3, 2.6.9-1.681_FC3.
>
>might be some RH-FC specific thing since I did not see it happen with
>earlier incarnations of kernel.

Nothing to do with RH-FC-- Same problem started happening here
on a SuSE 9.1 with Xorg X and KDE 3.3+ using APM, not ACPI.
Linux 2.6.9-ac8 on a ThinkPad X31.

--
VCJones@NetworkingUnlimited.com     http://www.networkingunlimited.com