* Broken NFS (perhaps Cache invalidation bug ?)
@ 2006-02-07  2:49 L. D. Marks
From: L. D. Marks @ 2006-02-07  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have a problem which appears to be very similar to a cache invalidation
bug previously reported:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0510.1/0582.html

With a conventional nfs mount (not automount), c0-0 a client node,
running on the nfs server:

echo 10 > Probe
ssh -x c0-0 cat Probe
echo 11 > Probe
ssh -x c0-0 cat Probe

Will give, most times, 10 & 10 rather than 10 & 11.

I've tried a wide range of things (including consulting local experts),
so far nothing. I'm not a kernel developer, so please be gentle. This
problem has occurred ever since we moved to the 4.X releases of rocks
(http://www.rocksclusters.org), X=0 or 1 although it's hidden by their
default use of automounting and it's taken some time to reduce it to
something simple.

Laurence Marks
MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
2220 N Campus Drive
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60201, USA
Tel: (847) 491-3996 Fax: (847) 491-7820
email: L-marks at northwestern dot edu
http://www.numis.northwestern.edu

* Re: Broken NFS (perhaps Cache invalidation bug ?)
@ 2006-02-07  2:52 ` L. D. Marks
From: L. D. Marks @ 2006-02-07  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I should have added the kernel: 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP with
nfs-utils-1.0.6-65.EL4

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, L. D. Marks wrote:

> I have a problem which appears to be very similar to a cache invalidation bug
> previously reported:
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0510.1/0582.html
>
> With a conventional nfs mount (not automount), c0-0 a client node, running on
> the nfs server:
>
> echo 10 > Probe
> ssh -x c0-0 cat Probe
> echo 11 > Probe
> ssh -x c0-0 cat Probe
>
> Will give, most times, 10 & 10 rather than 10 & 11.
>
> I've tried a wide range of things (including consulting local experts), so
> far nothing. I'm not a kernel developer, so please be gentle. This problem
> has occurred ever since we moved to the 4.X releases of rocks
> (http://www.rocksclusters.org), X=0 or 1 although it's hidden by their
> default use of automounting and it's taken some time to reduce it to
> something simple.

> Laurence Marks
> Department of Materials Science and Engineering
> MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall
> 2220 N Campus Drive
> Northwestern University
> Evanston, IL 60201, USA
> Tel: (847) 491-3996 Fax: (847) 491-7820
> email: L-marks at northwestern dot edu
> http://www.numis.northwestern.edu

Note: if you have an old email address for me, please note that "nwu" has
been changed to "northwestern".

@ 2006-02-07  3:10 ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2006-02-07  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: L. D. Marks; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 20:49 -0600, L. D. Marks wrote:
> I have a problem which appears to be very similar to a cache invalidation
> bug previously reported:
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0510.1/0582.html

Which should be fixed.

Cheers,
  Trond

* Re: Broken NFS (perhaps Cache invalidation bug ?)
@ 2006-02-07 12:31   ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2006-02-07 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: L. D. Marks; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Llu, 2006-02-06 at 20:52 -0600, L. D. Marks wrote:
> I should have added the kernel: 2.6.9-22.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP with
> nfs-utils-1.0.6-65.EL4

Vendor kernels diverge quite a bit from the base tree (because they
freeze a kernel and backport the critical fixes from thereon). So really
you are best advised to ask your vendor (Red Hat or Centos or whoever)
rather than ask here for that kernel.

Alan