* What happened to lookup_dentry?
@ 2001-06-18 21:44 Timur Tabi
From: Timur Tabi @ 2001-06-18 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I'm porting a driver from 2.2 to 2.4, and this driver calls lookup_dentry,
which doesn't exist in 2.4.  I've read through the source code and searched the
web and newsgroups, and I can't find any explanation as to why lookup_dentry no
longer exists or how I'm supposed to change code that uses it.  Can anyone help
me?

--
Timur Tabi - ttabi@interactivesi.com
Interactive Silicon - http://www.interactivesi.com

* Re: What happened to lookup_dentry?
@ 2001-06-18 23:45 ` Alexander Viro
From: Alexander Viro @ 2001-06-18 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timur Tabi; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Timur Tabi wrote:

> I'm porting a driver from 2.2 to 2.4, and this driver calls lookup_dentry,
> which doesn't exist in 2.4.  I've read through the source code and searched the
> web and newsgroups, and I can't find any explanation as to why lookup_dentry no
> longer exists or how I'm supposed to change code that uses it.  Can anyone help
> me?

It depends on what kind of use 2.2 code had for it. There are several
situations in which it used to be called and proper replacements depend
on the context. Details, please... (alternatively, send an URL of patch
and I'll see what to do with the thing)

* Re: What happened to lookup_dentry?
@ 2001-06-19 16:12 ` Timur Tabi
From: Timur Tabi @ 2001-06-19 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

** Reply to message from Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> on Mon, 18 Jun 2001
19:45:11 -0400 (EDT)

> It depends on what kind of use 2.2 code had for it. There are several
> situations in which it used to be called and proper replacements depend
> on the context. Details, please... (alternatively, send an URL of patch
> and I'll see what to do with the thing)

Well, I didn't write the driver that I'm trying to port, so it's a little
difficult.  The code in question is:

struct dentry *	de = lookup_dentry(zfcdb[i].fullname, NULL, LOOKUP_FOLLOW);
if (IS_ERR(de))
	continue;
if (de != zfcdb[i].dentry)
{
	print("zfc: dentry changed for %s\n", zfcdb[i].fullname);
	zfc_file_init(&zfcdb[i], de);
}

So it appears it's just checking to see if the dentry for a particular file has
changed.

--

@ 2001-06-22 17:00   ` Alexander Viro
From: Alexander Viro @ 2001-06-22 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timur Tabi; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Timur Tabi wrote:

> Well, I didn't write the driver that I'm trying to port, so it's a little
> difficult.  The code in question is:
>
> struct dentry *	de = lookup_dentry(zfcdb[i].fullname, NULL, LOOKUP_FOLLOW);
> if (IS_ERR(de))
> 	continue;
> if (de != zfcdb[i].dentry)
> {
> 	print("zfc: dentry changed for %s\n", zfcdb[i].fullname);
> 	zfc_file_init(&zfcdb[i], de);
> }
>
> So it appears it's just checking to see if the dentry for a particular file has
> changed.

Apparently, more than that. You'll need at least vfsmount in addition to
dentry. Could you send me the source? In principle, situation looks like
you need path_init() and path_walk(), but you almost definitely will need
to make changes in more places than that.

It should be easy to fix, but it's easier to mark the places that need
fixing in the source than try to describe how to find them ;-)