* List of SCO files
@ 2003-11-12 23:32 Dax Kelson
From: Dax Kelson @ 2003-11-12 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

"I used it for comparison to file listings of different kernel versions,
and my conclusion is that this list is either based on 2.5.68 (released
April 20, 2003) or on 2.5.69 (released May 5, 2003). Those are the only
two versions that contain all of the listed files." -- Groklaw reader
"Lev"

Maybe they just did a grep for anything with the three letters SMP
(among other things).  Interesting files in the list that might support
this.

fs/reiserfs/fix_node.c

2246 : * When ported to SMP kernels, only at the last

net/ipv4/devinet.c

525- /* Note that these ioctls will not sleep,
526- so that we do not impose a lock.
527: One day we will be forced to put shlock here (I mean SMP)
528- */

net/atm/pppoatm.c

/*
* We don't really always want to do this since it's
* really inefficient - it would be much better if we could
* test if we had actually throttled the generic layer.
* Unfortunately then there would be a nasty SMP race where
* we could clear that flag just as we refuse another packet.
* For now we do the safe thing.
*/

* Re: List of SCO files
@ 2003-11-13  2:49 ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2003-11-13  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dax Kelson; +Cc: Linux Kernel list

Or just include/asm-m68k/spinlock.h :)

The whole file is just:

#ifndef __M68K_SPINLOCK_H
#define __M68K_SPINLOCK_H

#error "m68k doesn't do SMP yet"

#endif

* Re: List of SCO files
@ 2003-11-13  4:50   ` Steven Cole
From: Steven Cole @ 2003-11-13  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt, Dax Kelson; +Cc: Linux Kernel list

On Wednesday 12 November 2003 07:49 pm, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> Or just include/asm-m68k/spinlock.h :)
>
> The whole file is just:
>
> #ifndef __M68K_SPINLOCK_H
> #define __M68K_SPINLOCK_H
>
> #error "m68k doesn't do SMP yet"
>
> #endif

Here's my personal favorite, file 490 of 591.
See if you can spot the purloined Intellectual Property:

[steven@spc 2.6-bk-current]$ cat include/asm-v850/percpu.h
#ifndef __V850_PERCPU_H__
#define __V850_PERCPU_H__

#include <asm-generic/percpu.h>

/* This is a stupid hack to satisfy some grotty implicit include-file
   dependency; basically, <linux/smp.h> uses BUG_ON, which calls BUG, but
   doesn't include the necessary headers to define it.  In the twisted
   festering mess of includes this must all be resolved somehow on other
   platforms, but I haven't the faintest idea how, and don't care; here will
   do, even though doesn't actually make any sense.  */
#include <asm/page.h>

#endif /* __V850_PERCPU_H__ */

I'm betting on the "This is a stupid hack" phrase.  Undoubtably SCO's code
is littered with comments like that.

Steven

* Re: List of SCO files
@ 2003-11-13  9:36   ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2003-11-13  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt; +Cc: Dax Kelson, Linux Kernel list

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> Or just include/asm-m68k/spinlock.h :)
>
> The whole file is just:
>
> #ifndef __M68K_SPINLOCK_H
> #define __M68K_SPINLOCK_H
>
> #error "m68k doesn't do SMP yet"
>
> #endif

Ah, thank you for checking out the m68k-specific files :-)

Although I don't think I wrote that one, I'm quite sure it was written from
scratch, probably by Jes. I can dig it up if we really need to know...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: List of SCO files
@ 2003-11-13 12:57   ` Rik van Riel
From: Rik van Riel @ 2003-11-13 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt; +Cc: Dax Kelson, Linux Kernel list

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> Or just include/asm-m68k/spinlock.h :)

> #ifndef __M68K_SPINLOCK_H
> #define __M68K_SPINLOCK_H
> #error "m68k doesn't do SMP yet"
> #endif

I wonder if that reflects the state SCO's OSes are in,
with respect to the technologies they claim that IBM
misappropriated ;)

* Re: List of SCO files
@ 2003-11-13 15:19     ` Jes Sorensen
From: Jes Sorensen @ 2003-11-13 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: Benjamin Herrenschmidt, Dax Kelson, Linux Kernel list

Geert> Ah, thank you for checking out the m68k-specific files :-)

Geert> Although I don't think I wrote that one, I'm quite sure it was
Geert> written from scratch, probably by Jes. I can dig it up if we
Geert> really need to know...

It goes so far back I can't even remember - who would have known that
I was able to steal valueable IP from SCO without even knowing and
that so many years ago!

Cheers,
Jes

* Re: List of SCO files
@ 2003-11-13 15:26       ` Richard B. Johnson
From: Richard B. Johnson @ 2003-11-13 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jes Sorensen
  Cc: Geert Uytterhoeven, Benjamin Herrenschmidt, Dax Kelson,
	Linux Kernel list

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Jes Sorensen wrote:

> Geert> Ah, thank you for checking out the m68k-specific files :-)
>
> Geert> Although I don't think I wrote that one, I'm quite sure it was
> Geert> written from scratch, probably by Jes. I can dig it up if we
> Geert> really need to know...
>
> It goes so far back I can't even remember - who would have known that
> I was able to steal valueable IP from SCO without even knowing and
> that so many years ago!
>
> Cheers,
> Jes

Yeh. Watch out for "#include". They probably own that syntax, too.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.22 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

* Re: List of SCO files
@ 2003-11-14  9:35     ` Jon Evans
From: Jon Evans @ 2003-11-14  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Linux Kernel list

Steven Cole wrote:

> Here's my personal favorite, file 490 of 591.
> See if you can spot the purloined Intellectual Property:

[...]

> #include <asm/page.h>
              ^^ ^
Another infringement!

Jon

* Re: List of SCO files
@ 2003-11-16 16:03 ` Dick Streefland
From: Dick Streefland @ 2003-11-16 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Dax Kelson <dax@gurulabs.com> wrote:
| http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2003111203544653
|
| "I used it for comparison to file listings of different kernel versions,
| and my conclusion is that this list is either based on 2.5.68 (released
| April 20, 2003) or on 2.5.69 (released May 5, 2003). Those are the only
| two versions that contain all of the listed files." -- Groklaw reader
| "Lev"

I think they used 2.5.69. Their list includes net/bridge/br_if.c, and
patch 2.5.69 adds code containing the word "rcu", which is probably
one of the keywords they searched for. The following script generates
a list very close to SCOs list:

#!/bin/sh
# to be run in the linux-2.5.69 kernel tree
(
  find * -name '*.[ch]' |
  egrep -v '^(drivers|sound)|(arch/|include/asm-)(sparc|alpha|parisc)' |
  xargs egrep -iwl '(smp|numa|rcu)'
  ls fs/jfs/*.[ch]
) |
sort -u

The only files not on SCOs list are:

arch/um/drivers/harddog_kern.c
arch/um/drivers/harddog_user.c
arch/um/drivers/mconsole_kern.c
include/asm-h8300/smplock.h

--
Dick Streefland                    ////               De Bilt
dick.streefland@xs4all.nl         (@ @)       The Netherlands