* IPX and PCMCIA
@ 2001-09-01  0:20 Ricky Beam
From: Ricky Beam @ 2001-09-01  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel Mail List

(don't ask why I activated IPX on my laptop)

Kernel: 2.4.9 [Linus variety]
Network Adapter: Intel EtherExpress 100 + 56k modem

Here's an interesting bug(let)... load any old PCMCIA network adapater and
then activate IPX.  Then, rmmod the module without taking any steps to
shutdown IPX.  You end up with the interface (eth0) actually gone with IPX
still hanging on to it -- that makes it very hard to delete IPX.  The module
is still loaded, however in the "deleted" state.  And unregister_netdev()
keeps spewing busy alerts to every tty.

In my case, I have to shutdown the PCMCIA adapter before I suppend or the
card will never come back up without physically removing it from the laptop.

--Ricky

* Re: IPX and PCMCIA
@ 2001-09-09  2:51 ` acme
From: acme @ 2001-09-09  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricky Beam; +Cc: Linux Kernel Mail List

Citando Ricky Beam <jfbeam@bluetopia.net>:

> (don't ask why I activated IPX on my laptop)
>
> Kernel: 2.4.9 [Linus variety]
> Network Adapter: Intel EtherExpress 100 + 56k modem
>
> Here's an interesting bug(let)... load any old PCMCIA network adapater
> and
> then activate IPX.  Then, rmmod the module without taking any steps to
> shutdown IPX.  You end up with the interface (eth0) actually gone with
> IPX
> still hanging on to it -- that makes it very hard to delete IPX.  The
> module
> is still loaded, however in the "deleted" state.  And
> unregister_netdev()
> keeps spewing busy alerts to every tty.
>
> In my case, I have to shutdown the PCMCIA adapter before I suppend or
> the
> card will never come back up without physically removing it from the
> laptop.

I´m now away from my base, so I´ll only have time to work on this late next
week, but I´ll analyse this and try to see if I can come up with a fix,
thanks for the report. Oh, if somebody comes up with a fix in the meantime,
that would be great 8)

- Arnaldo

* Re: IPX and PCMCIA
@ 2001-09-09  8:02   ` Ricky Beam