* __FD_SETSIZE question
@ 2001-11-06 18:25 Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk @ 2001-11-06 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi

I heard the __FD_SETSIZE setting limits the number of open files to a
process... Is this the fact? What happens if I double it?

Thanks

roy
--
from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/posix_types.h

#define __FD_SETSIZE    1024
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, MCSE, MCNE, CLS, LCA

Computers are like air conditioners.

* Re: __FD_SETSIZE question
@ 2001-11-06 18:38   ` Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk @ 2001-11-06 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: linux-kernel

> It did long ago. Nowdays its limited by proc tunable variables - you do
> however want to use poll() not select()

ok... thanks. That someone mentioned in a discussion about Tux - may I
guess he was mistaken?

roy
--

@ 2001-11-06 18:44 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-11-06 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2001-11-06 19:04 ` Richard B. Johnson
From: Richard B. Johnson @ 2001-11-06 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> Hi
>
> I heard the __FD_SETSIZE setting limits the number of open files to a
> process... Is this the fact? What happens if I double it?
>
> Thanks
>
> roy

This just limits the number of fds you can use with select().
Use poll() instead.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

    was handled in the BIOS, I found that there aren't any.