* tulip driver still broken
@ 2001-07-30 22:19 Thomas Zehetbauer
From: Thomas Zehetbauer @ 2001-07-30 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

My genuine digital network interface card ceased to work with the tulip
driver contained in kernel revisions >= 2.4.4 and the development driver from
sourceforge.net.

It seems that the driver incorrectly configures the card for full duplex mode
and I could not figure out how to override this with the new MODULE_PARM
macro.

I am now using the stable driver 0.9.14 from sourceforge.net which works fine.

Further information available by request!

Tom

Quantum Mechanics is God's version of "Trust me."
--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 464 bytes --]

* Re: tulip driver still broken
@ 2001-07-30 22:57 ` Joshua Schmidlkofer
From: Joshua Schmidlkofer @ 2001-07-30 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Zehetbauer; +Cc: linux-kernel

I am afraid of post these days.  However, I must comment that I too am having
trouble with the tulip driver, on several SMC nic's that use the DEC
chipset.  I tried mii_tool, with no success.

I have just been copying the tulip driver from 2.4.4 forward...   because I
don't have enough time to try and create an intelligent error report.

thanks,

 joshua

@ 2001-07-30 23:09   ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2001-07-30 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Schmidlkofer; +Cc: Thomas Zehetbauer, linux-kernel

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Joshua Schmidlkofer wrote:
> I am afraid of post these days.  However, I must comment that I too am having
> trouble with the tulip driver, on several SMC nic's that use the DEC
> chipset.  I tried mii_tool, with no success.
>
> I have just been copying the tulip driver from 2.4.4 forward...   because I
> don't have enough time to try and create an intelligent error report.

Thanks for the report!

Currently there are problems with 21041 old chipsets, which include SMC
and several other cards.  You can use 0.9.14 from
http://sf.net/projects/tulip/ until I get around to fixing it.

(off vacation, but now moving to new house w/ no Internet :))

	Jeff

@ 2001-07-30 23:30     ` Michal Jaegermann
From: Michal Jaegermann @ 2001-07-30 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, Jeff Garzik
  Cc: Joshua Schmidlkofer, Thomas Zehetbauer, linux-kernel

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 06:09:33PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Joshua Schmidlkofer wrote:
> > I am afraid of post these days.  However, I must comment that I too am having
> > trouble with the tulip driver, on several SMC nic's that use the DEC
> > chipset.  I tried mii_tool, with no success.
> >
> > I have just been copying the tulip driver from 2.4.4 forward...   because I
> > don't have enough time to try and create an intelligent error report.
>
> Thanks for the report!
>
> Currently there are problems with 21041 old chipsets, which include SMC
> and several other cards.

Hm, I reported few times problems with DS21143 Tulip rev 65, which is
not exactly old, and with anything above tulip-0.9.14, and did not get
back even a half line acknowledment not mentioning annoucements of fixes.
I also posted mii-diag output from a card in working and not working
state.

I have to admit, though, that I did not test that really recently.
RSN...

  Michal

* Re: tulip driver still broken
@ 2001-07-31 13:23 ` Chris Friesen
From: Chris Friesen @ 2001-07-31 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

How is the sourceforge driver different than the one at www.scyld.com?

--
Chris Friesen                    | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks                  | work: (613) 765-0557

* Re: tulip driver still broken
@ 2001-07-31 18:00   ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2001-07-31 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Chris Friesen wrote:
> Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> >
> > My genuine digital network interface card ceased to work with the tulip
> > driver contained in kernel revisions >= 2.4.4 and the development driver from
> > sourceforge.net.
>
> How is the sourceforge driver different than the one at www.scyld.com?

They are totally different, though they have a common origin.

	Jeff

* Re: tulip driver still broken
@ 2001-08-01 14:36     ` Patrick Cole
From: Patrick Cole @ 2001-08-01 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: linux-kernel

Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 06:09:33PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Joshua Schmidlkofer wrote:
>
> > I am afraid of post these days.  However, I must comment that I too am having
> > trouble with the tulip driver, on several SMC nic's that use the DEC
> > chipset.  I tried mii_tool, with no success.
> >
> > I have just been copying the tulip driver from 2.4.4 forward...   because I
> > don't have enough time to try and create an intelligent error report.
>
> Thanks for the report!
>
> Currently there are problems with 21041 old chipsets, which include SMC
> and several other cards.  You can use 0.9.14 from
> http://sf.net/projects/tulip/ until I get around to fixing it.

My 21041 is also not working with late 2.4 series tulip drver. I've heard the
de4x5 driver does however work.

--
Patrick Cole - Debian Developer    <ltd@debian.org>
             - Linux.com Volunteer <z@linux.com>

* Re: tulip driver still broken
@ 2001-08-01 15:51   ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2001-08-01 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Friesen wrote:

> Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> >
> > My genuine digital network interface card ceased to work with the tulip
> > driver contained in kernel revisions >= 2.4.4 and the development driver from
> > sourceforge.net.
>
> How is the sourceforge driver different than the one at www.scyld.com?

Becker (Scyld) has only recently gotten his drivers to even compile
on 2.4 kernel, and they are still beta quality for 2.4, evidently.

There seem to be attempts to keep the drivers in sync, functionally,
but the architectures have diverged quite a lot...

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>          <Ben_Greear@excite.com>

* Re: tulip driver still broken
@ 2001-08-01 16:45     ` joseph.bueno
From: joseph.bueno @ 2001-08-01 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ben Greear wrote:

> Chris Friesen wrote:
> >
> > Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> > >
> > > My genuine digital network interface card ceased to work with the tulip
> > > driver contained in kernel revisions >= 2.4.4 and the development driver from
> > > sourceforge.net.
> >
> > How is the sourceforge driver different than the one at www.scyld.com?
> >

> Becker (Scyld) has only recently gotten his drivers to even compile
> on 2.4 kernel, and they are still beta quality for 2.4, evidently.
>
> There seem to be attempts to keep the drivers in sync, functionally,
> but the architectures have diverged quite a lot...
>
> Ben
>
> --
> Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>          <Ben_Greear@excite.com>
> President of Candela Technologies Inc      http://www.candelatech.com
> ScryMUD:  http://scry.wanfear.com     http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear

Hi,

I am currently using a Xircom Ethernet adapter (tulip_cb module) with a
2.4.5 kernel.

The only way I have found to make it work is to turn on promiscuous mode
(with 'tcpdump -i eth0 -n > /dev/null') after bootup. I can turn it off
after a few minutes without problem.

I don't know if tulip driver I am using has been patched since I haven't
compiled this 2.4.5 kernel myself. Here is driver bootup information:

tulip.c:v0.91g-ppc 7/16/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov (modified by danilo@cs.uni-magdeburg.de for XIRCOM CBE, fixed by Doug Ledford)
eth0: Xircom Cardbus Adapter (DEC 21143 compatible mode) rev 3 at 0x200, 00:10:A4:C0:2A:30, IRQ 9.
eth0:  MII transceiver #0 config 3100 status 7809 advertising 01e1.

Hope this helps
Regards
--
Joseph Bueno

* Re: tulip driver still broken
@ 2001-08-01 21:14       ` Justin Guyett
From: Justin Guyett @ 2001-08-01 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 joseph.bueno@trader.com wrote:

> I am currently using a Xircom Ethernet adapter (tulip_cb module) with a
> 2.4.5 kernel.
>
> The only way I have found to make it work is to turn on promiscuous mode
> (with 'tcpdump -i eth0 -n > /dev/null') after bootup. I can turn it off
> after a few minutes without problem.

i saw something like that with a wireless ethernet card, but presumed it
to be something wrong with WAP+multicast, plus it doesn't happen with new
card firmware.

at any rate, this made my card work, and sounds like it would be better
than running tcpdump and killing it after a few minutes.  the critical
element in getting things working was getting traffic while the interface
was in promisc mode (arp replies to wrong mac address maybe?)

ifconfig ethX promisc
ping -n -c 5 <pick a remote ip>
ifconfig ethX -promisc

if you have no traffic for a few minutes, it might break again.

justin

* Re: tulip driver still broken
@ 2001-08-01 21:52       ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2001-08-01 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joseph.bueno

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 joseph.bueno@trader.com wrote:
> I am currently using a Xircom Ethernet adapter (tulip_cb module) with a
> 2.4.5 kernel.
>
> The only way I have found to make it work is to turn on promiscuous mode
> (with 'tcpdump -i eth0 -n > /dev/null') after bootup. I can turn it off
> after a few minutes without problem.

To fix this problem, either use the xircom_tulip_cb driver in 2.4.x, or
use the recently updated tulip_cb driver that comes with the pcmcia_cs
package.

* Re: tulip driver still broken
@ 2001-08-02  7:35         ` joseph.bueno
From: joseph.bueno @ 2001-08-02  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin Guyett wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 joseph.bueno@trader.com wrote:
>
> > I am currently using a Xircom Ethernet adapter (tulip_cb module) with a
> > 2.4.5 kernel.
> >
> > The only way I have found to make it work is to turn on promiscuous mode
> > (with 'tcpdump -i eth0 -n > /dev/null') after bootup. I can turn it off
> > after a few minutes without problem.
>
> i saw something like that with a wireless ethernet card, but presumed it
> to be something wrong with WAP+multicast, plus it doesn't happen with new
> card firmware.
>
> at any rate, this made my card work, and sounds like it would be better
> than running tcpdump and killing it after a few minutes.  the critical
> element in getting things working was getting traffic while the interface
> was in promisc mode (arp replies to wrong mac address maybe?)

That's right.
In fact, I generally start a ping to a remote IP address after bootup
and, if I don't get any response (which is always the case), I start
tcpdump and I do some network activity before stopping it.

> ifconfig ethX promisc
> ping -n -c 5 <pick a remote ip>
> ifconfig ethX -promisc

In fact, I ran tcpdump to check what was going on and, since it "solved"
the problem, I didn't check for a better way to do it.
Obviously, your solution is better.

> if you have no traffic for a few minutes, it might break again.

Hopefully, there is some periodic network activity on my machine (at
least checking of my POP account), so it doesn't break.

> justin

Thanks
--
Joseph Bueno