* sync() broken for raw devices in 2.4.x??
@ 2001-01-02  0:50 stewart
From: stewart @ 2001-01-02  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

 I have a sync()/fdatasync() intensive application that is designed to work
 on both raw files and raw partitions. Today I upgraded my kernel to the
 new pre-release and found that my benchmark program would no longer finish
 when handed a raw partition. I've written a small Java program (my app is
 in Java) which demonstrates the bug. Make foo.dat a raw scsi partition to
 re-produce. In my case it's "mknod foo.dat b 8 18".

// -----------------------------------------------------
import java.io.*;
public class sync {
        long ops = Long.parseLong(args[0]);
        byte dat[] = new byte[Integer.parseInt(args[1])];
        RandomAccessFile rf = new RandomAccessFile("foo.dat", "rw");
        long time = System.currentTimeMillis();
        long t2 = time;
        for (int i=0; i<ops; i++) {
            rf.write(dat);
            rf.getFD().sync();
            if (i%100 == 0) {
                long tm = System.currentTimeMillis();
                System.out.println("i="+i+"   sync avg ms="+((tm-t2)/100));
                t2 = tm;
            }
        }
        time = System.currentTimeMillis()-time;
        System.out.println("time = "+time+"ms");
        System.out.println(((ops*1000)/time)+" ops/sec");
    }
}
// -----------------------------------------------------

 I've included 2.2.17 as a baseline for comparison w/ 2.4.0-prerelease.
 Watch the avg sync times. The tests were run with the command-line:

   java sync 10000 4096

 2.2.17 on an ext2 file looks like this:

i=0 sync avg ms=0
i=100 sync avg ms=11
i=200 sync avg ms=13
i=9700 sync avg ms=21
i=9800 sync avg ms=21
i=9900 sync avg ms=21
time = 153510ms
65 ops/sec

 2.4.0 on an ext2 file looks like this:

=0 sync avg ms=0
i=100 sync avg ms=13
i=200 sync avg ms=13
i=9700 sync avg ms=16
i=9800 sync avg ms=16
i=9900 sync avg ms=15
time = 140780ms
71 ops/sec

 OK, that's better. My benchmarks confirm that under ext2, 2.4.0 is
 generally superior, though I'm still getting some suspicious hangs.
 I'll report back on that if I can reproduce it with a sample program.

 2.2.17 with a raw partition:

i=0 sync avg ms=0
i=100 sync avg ms=0
i=200 sync avg ms=0
i=9700 sync avg ms=0
i=9800 sync avg ms=1
i=9900 sync avg ms=1
time = 22825ms
438 ops/sec

 2.4.0 with a raw partition:

i=0 sync avg ms=0
i=100 sync avg ms=0
i=200 sync avg ms=0
i=9700 sync avg ms=39
i=9800 sync avg ms=39
i=9900 sync avg ms=40
time = 202406ms
49 ops/sec

 OK, 2.4.0 gets progressively (visibly) slower as the test goes on. Even
 under 2.2.17 the test would cycle between 0-6ms over several thousand
 iterations. This could be sped up/slowed by changing the data volume.
 2.4.0, however, never recovers and sync() times will become infinitely
 large. This explains why my benchmarks never complete.

 The system in this case is a dual p2-450 512MB ram and SCSI disks. I have
 not tested this with IDE drives under 2.4.0 nor have I performed these
 tests under other 2.4.x test kernels.

 Stewart

-

* Re: sync() broken for raw devices in 2.4.x??
@ 2001-01-02  1:35 ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2001-01-02  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stewart; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 07:50:31PM -0500, stewart@neuron.com wrote:

>  I have a sync()/fdatasync() intensive application that is designed to work
>  on both raw files and raw partitions. Today I upgraded my kernel to the
>  new pre-release and found that my benchmark program would no longer finish
>  when handed a raw partition. I've written a small Java program (my app is
>  in Java) which demonstrates the bug. Make foo.dat a raw scsi partition to
>  re-produce. In my case it's "mknod foo.dat b 8 18".

Just a minor correction: this is not a raw partition, but a buffered blockdevice.
If you want a real rawdevice (where sync is a noop because all IO goes
synchronously to disk) you need to bind a character raw device to the
block device first using the raw util.

>From a quick look sync_buffers() [which implements fsync on block devices]
has not changed significantly between 2.2 and 2.4 and uses the same algorithm.

-Andi

-

* Re: sync() broken for raw devices in 2.4.x??
@ 2001-01-02 15:26   ` stewart
From: stewart @ 2001-01-02 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andi Kleen; +Cc: linux-kernel

 Thanks, Andi. In which case sync() for direct buffered block
 device access would seem to be broken in 2.4.0-prerelease.

 stewart

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Andi Kleen wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 07:50:31PM -0500, stewart@neuron.com wrote:
> >
> >  I have a sync()/fdatasync() intensive application that is designed to work
> >  on both raw files and raw partitions. Today I upgraded my kernel to the
> >  new pre-release and found that my benchmark program would no longer finish
> >  when handed a raw partition. I've written a small Java program (my app is
> >  in Java) which demonstrates the bug. Make foo.dat a raw scsi partition to
> >  re-produce. In my case it's "mknod foo.dat b 8 18".
>
> Just a minor correction: this is not a raw partition, but a buffered blockdevice.
> If you want a real rawdevice (where sync is a noop because all IO goes
> synchronously to disk) you need to bind a character raw device to the
> block device first using the raw util.
>
> >From a quick look sync_buffers() [which implements fsync on block devices]
> has not changed significantly between 2.2 and 2.4 and uses the same algorithm.
>
> -Andi

-

* Re: sync() broken for raw devices in 2.4.x??
@ 2001-01-02 17:57   ` stewart
From: stewart @ 2001-01-02 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andi Kleen; +Cc: linux-kernel

 Thanks for the correction. I am using a buffered block device
 then, not a real synchronous raw device.

-