* SCSI Tape Corruption - update
@ 2001-04-12  8:43 lomarcan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: lomarcan @ 2001-04-12  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Still experimenting with my SDT-9000... tried connecting it to another
controller
(2940AU in place of 2904, sorry but I've only Adaptec stuff :). Same
problem.
Tried with another tape (even with an old DDS-2 tape). Same. Even tried
another
cable/removing the CDWR drive from the bus.

It seems that the tape is written incorrectly. I wrote some large file
(300MB)
and read it back four time. The read copies are all the same. They differ
from the original only in 32 consecutive bytes (the replaced values SEEM
random). Of course, 32 bytes in 300MB tar.gz files are TOO MUCH to be
accepted :)

Now I'll build some old 2.2 kernel to try...

				-- Lorenzo Marcantonio

* Re: SCSI Tape Corruption - update
@ 2001-04-12 12:43 ` Bob_Tracy
From: Bob_Tracy @ 2001-04-12 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lomarcan; +Cc: linux-kernel

lomarcan@tin.it wrote:
> It seems that the tape is written incorrectly. I wrote some large file
> (300MB)
> and read it back four time. The read copies are all the same. They differ
> from the original only in 32 consecutive bytes (the replaced values SEEM
> random). Of course, 32 bytes in 300MB tar.gz files are TOO MUCH to be
> accepted :)

Several years ago I ran into a problem with similar symptoms on an old
Adaptec AHA-154X controller.  Files (and most certainly "file systems"
if I had persisted) on my hard disk were getting corrupted in random
places with constant length strings of garbage.  This turned out to be
an inappropriate setting for the AHA1542_SCATTER constant: it *was* 16,
and setting it to 8 fixed my problem.  I'd look for a similar "#define"
in the header file for your SCSI device driver and try cutting the value
by half.  Why "half"?  No justification other than it worked for me, and
it's a power-of-two kind of thing that hardware seems to like :-).

--Bob

* Re: SCSI Tape Corruption - update
@ 2001-04-12 15:43 ` Gérard Roudier
From: Gérard Roudier @ 2001-04-12 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lomarcan; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 lomarcan@tin.it wrote:

> Still experimenting with my SDT-9000... tried connecting it to another
> controller
> (2940AU in place of 2904, sorry but I've only Adaptec stuff :). Same
> problem.
> Tried with another tape (even with an old DDS-2 tape). Same. Even tried
> another
> cable/removing the CDWR drive from the bus.
>
> It seems that the tape is written incorrectly. I wrote some large file
> (300MB)
> and read it back four time. The read copies are all the same. They differ
> from the original only in 32 consecutive bytes (the replaced values SEEM
> random). Of course, 32 bytes in 300MB tar.gz files are TOO MUCH to be
> accepted :)

A similar problem has been reported under Linux/PPC a couple of weeks ago
using a sym53c875 controller. In this case, kernel 2.2 was fine.

> Now I'll build some old 2.2 kernel to try...

If 2.2 is ok with your tape, a software error in 2.4 gets very likely, in
my opinion.

  Gérard.

* Re: SCSI Tape Corruption - update 2
@ 2001-04-12 20:06   ` Lorenzo Marcantonio
From: Lorenzo Marcantonio @ 2001-04-12 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Gérard Roudier wrote:

> using a sym53c875 controller. In this case, kernel 2.2 was fine.
>
> > Now I'll build some old 2.2 kernel to try...
>
> If 2.2 is ok with your tape, a software error in 2.4 gets very likely, in
> my opinion.

Well, the 2.2 distributed with Mandrake 7.2 works fine ... :)

Hmmm... 32 CONSECUTIVE bytes are a very peculiar error. What can it be?

Still experimenting...

@ 2001-04-13  7:02 ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2001-04-13  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lomarcan; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 lomarcan@tin.it wrote:
> Still experimenting with my SDT-9000... tried connecting it to another
> controller
> (2940AU in place of 2904, sorry but I've only Adaptec stuff :). Same
> problem.
> Tried with another tape (even with an old DDS-2 tape). Same. Even tried
> another
> cable/removing the CDWR drive from the bus.
>
> It seems that the tape is written incorrectly. I wrote some large file
> (300MB)
> and read it back four time. The read copies are all the same. They differ
> from the original only in 32 consecutive bytes (the replaced values SEEM
> random). Of course, 32 bytes in 300MB tar.gz files are TOO MUCH to be
> accepted :)

As Gérard already replied, I have the same problem on my PPC box (cfr. my
postings last month) with DDS-1 tape drive. It has 2 SCSI adapters (MESH and
Sym53c875), and it seems to happen with the '875 only (but the MESH sucks
anyway and has other problems making it unusable for my DDS-1).

In my case, the 32 bad bytes are always a copy of the 32 bytes 10K before (10K
= blocksize of tar). Can you verify that's the case for you as well? For
reference, I have approx. 6 sequences of corrupted data when writing 256 MB to
tape. Reading gives no problems.

The problem does not appear in 2.2.13 (yep, that's old, but so far the latest
2.2.x kernel that runs on my CHRP LongTrail). I have to fix later kernels
first.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: SCSI Tape Corruption - update
@ 2001-04-13  7:13   ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2001-04-13  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lomarcan; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 lomarcan@tin.it wrote:
> > It seems that the tape is written incorrectly. I wrote some large file
> > (300MB)
> > and read it back four time. The read copies are all the same. They differ
> > from the original only in 32 consecutive bytes (the replaced values SEEM
> > random). Of course, 32 bytes in 300MB tar.gz files are TOO MUCH to be
> > accepted :)
>
> In my case, the 32 bad bytes are always a copy of the 32 bytes 10K before (10K
> = blocksize of tar). Can you verify that's the case for you as well? For
> reference, I have approx. 6 sequences of corrupted data when writing 256 MB to
> tape. Reading gives no problems.

Forgot some things...

It also happens with dd, so it's not a bug in tar.
If I set the tar blocksize to 512 bytes, the offset changes to 512 bytes as
well.
If I set the tar blocksize to 57*512 bytes, I didn't see a problem (however,
could have been `good luck').

The problem seems to be there since at least 2.4.0-test1-ac10, which means
quite some people may no longer have known good backups of their valuable data
(of course we should not run 2.[34].x kernels on our systems, right? :-)

Since you have a different SCSI host adapter, the problem is most likely in
st.c. I was thinking of writing `predictable' data (or checksummed blocks or
so) to tape and add some data verification tests to st.c at the very last
moment before it sends a write command to the SCSI host adapter, but I haven't
found time for that yet.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: SCSI Tape corruption - update
@ 2001-12-05 15:32                       ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2001-12-05 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gérard Roudier; +Cc: Linux Kernel Development

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, [ISO-8859-1] Gérard Roudier wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> As driver sym-2 is planned to replace sym53c8xx in the future, it would be
> interesting to give it a try on your hardware. There are some source
> available from ftp.tux.org, but I can provide you with a flat patch
> against the stock kernel version you want. You may let me know.

I tried sym-2 (2.4.17-pre2) and it didn't show up the problem, which is good!

More news from the old driver:

    1.5c            OK
    1.5d            OK
    1.5e            page fault in interrupt handler 0xa53c0c68
    1.5f            lock up
    1.5pre-g1       lock up
    1.5pre-g2       lock up
    1.5pre-g3       corruption
    1.5g            corruption

So it happened somewhere in between 1.5d and 1.5pre-g3. I'll see whether I can
get any of the intermediates to run...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: SCSI Tape corruption - update
@ 2001-11-07 15:26                       ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2001-11-07 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gérard Roudier; +Cc: Linux Kernel Development

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, [ISO-8859-1] Gérard Roudier wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > [ About SCSI tape corruption with sym53c8xx, some months ago ]

> > > Fine! But diffs between 1.5a and 1.5g are still large. :(
> > > Results with 1.5c would have divided the diffs by about 2. :(

1.5c seems to be fine!

Still have to try 1.5d, 1.5g1, 1.5g2 and 1.5g3.
1.5e and 1.5f are nowhere available?

> As driver sym-2 is planned to replace sym53c8xx in the future, it would be
> interesting to give it a try on your hardware. There are some source
> available from ftp.tux.org, but I can provide you with a flat patch
> against the stock kernel version you want. You may let me know.

I just saw the sym-2 driver enter the ac-series. As soon as I have a recent
2.4.x kernel on this box, I can give it a try...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: SCSI Tape corruption - update
@ 2001-11-02  7:04                     ` Gérard Roudier
From: Gérard Roudier @ 2001-11-02  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: Linux Kernel Development

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> [ About SCSI tape corruption with sym53c8xx, some months ago ]
>
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Gérard Roudier wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > With some small modifications, I made 1.5a to work fine. No error burst. So the
> > > problem is introduced between 1.5a and 1.5g.
> >
> > Fine! But diffs between 1.5a and 1.5g are still large. :(
> > Results with 1.5c would have divided the diffs by about 2. :(
> >
> > > Unfortunately my DDS-1 drive seems to have died for real after this test :-(
> > > I don't know yet whether I will replace it with a new tape drive or with a
> > > CD-RW. Which means I may never find out which change caused the problem...
> >
> > I expect the problem to pong again to me. For now, I plan to look into the
> > 1.5g-1.5a source diffs and inspect each change. But as I will be in
> > vacation for the next two weeks, I will not be able to work on this
> > problem immediately.
>
> Any progress on this?

I looked into the diffs, but stuff was too large to get any clue from. :(

> > > I assume other people suffer from the same error burst problem, but they never
> > > notice until they really want to restore data. Me myself only notived it by
> > > accident, too.
> >
> > Thanks for your testings and results.
>
> I have good news and bad news. First the bad news...

/* Let's rearrange your report */
goto good_news:	/* :-) */

> [...]
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x3523f3 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 18 bytes detected at offset 0x6a8ba0
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x6993a0 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 13 bytes detected at offset 0x6a8bb3
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x6993b3 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0x2b96980
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x2b87180 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0x3f351a0
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x3f259a0 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0x46d4de0
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x46c55e0 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0x8d2e7e0
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x8d1efe0 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0x8f5dea0
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x8f4e6a0 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0xce732a0
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0xce63aa0 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0xd0455a0
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0xd035da0 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0x114746a0
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x11464ea0 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0x1229e0a0
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x1228e8a0 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0x1246e620
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x1245ee20 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0x162cd2e0
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x162bdae0 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0x16f82de0
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x16f735e0 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0x16f84420
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x16f74c20 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0x1703e6e0
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x1702eee0 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0x1760eaa0
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x175ff2a0 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0x177ddbc0
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x177ce3c0 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0x1bcc5560
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x1bcb5d60 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0x1bcc55e0
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x1bcb5de0 (shift = 63488)
> | Error burst of 32 bytes detected at offset 0x1d0fd260
> |   Error data is a copy of the data at offset 0x1d0eda60 (shift = 63488)
> | Found a total of 670 errors (max 32 consecutive) in 23 error bursts
>
> Thus the problem exists not only for tape drives, but also for CD writers! Main
> difference is the shift of 63488 (= 31*2048) for CDs, compared to 10240 (block

good_news:	/* :) */

> So far I haven't found any evidence of a similar problem for hard disks.
>
> Now the good news: I have hardware to try finding the source of this problem
> again ;-) If I'll find some time, I'll try driver version 1.5c.

I have CD/RW. I can run your test process on my machines and see how it
behaves (2xPIII/LE chipset and 1xAthlon/KT266 chipset).

As driver sym-2 is planned to replace sym53c8xx in the future, it would be
interesting to give it a try on your hardware. There are some source
available from ftp.tux.org, but I can provide you with a flat patch
against the stock kernel version you want. You may let me know.

Regards,
  Gérard.

* Re: SCSI Tape corruption - update
@ 2001-11-01 19:09                   ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2001-11-01 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gérard Roudier; +Cc: Gérard Roudier, Linux Kernel Development

[ About SCSI tape corruption with sym53c8xx, some months ago ]

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Gérard Roudier wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > With some small modifications, I made 1.5a to work fine. No error burst. So the
> > problem is introduced between 1.5a and 1.5g.
>
> Fine! But diffs between 1.5a and 1.5g are still large. :(
> Results with 1.5c would have divided the diffs by about 2. :(
>
> > Unfortunately my DDS-1 drive seems to have died for real after this test :-(
> > I don't know yet whether I will replace it with a new tape drive or with a
> > CD-RW. Which means I may never find out which change caused the problem...
>
> I expect the problem to pong again to me. For now, I plan to look into the
> 1.5g-1.5a source diffs and inspect each change. But as I will be in
> vacation for the next two weeks, I will not be able to work on this
> problem immediately.

Any progress on this?

@ 2001-07-28  9:57                   ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2001-07-28  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gérard Roudier; +Cc: Gérard Roudier, Linux Kernel Development

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Gérard Roudier wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > >
> > > That's an interesting result. But 1.5g - 1.3g diffs are probably very
> > > large. Patches available from ftp.tux.org should allow to resurrect
> > > driver versions 1.4, 1.5, 1.5a, 1.5b, 1.5c, 1.5d.
> > >
> > > ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/roudier/drivers/linux/sym53c8xx/README
> > >
> > > You may, for example, apply incremental patches that address kernel 2.2.5
> > > to a fresh kernel 2.2.5 tree and extract driver files accordingly.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > With some small modifications, I made 1.5a to work fine. No error burst. So the
> > problem is introduced between 1.5a and 1.5g.
>
> Fine! But diffs between 1.5a and 1.5g are still large. :(
> Results with 1.5c would have divided the diffs by about 2. :(
>
> > Unfortunately my DDS-1 drive seems to have died for real after this test :-(
> > I don't know yet whether I will replace it with a new tape drive or with a
> > CD-RW. Which means I may never find out which change caused the problem...
>
> I expect the problem to pong again to me. For now, I plan to look into the
> 1.5g-1.5a source diffs and inspect each change. But as I will be in
> vacation for the next two weeks, I will not be able to work on this
> problem immediately.

Just in case the fix is in the changes between the official 1.5a and the 1.5a
in my tree, here are the diffs. But I doubt it.

Good luck!

diff -ur sym53c8xx-s01-d07-2.2.5-1.5a/drivers/scsi/Config.in longtrail-2.2.18-pre1/drivers/scsi/Config.in
--- sym53c8xx-s01-d07-2.2.5-1.5a/drivers/scsi/Config.in	Thu Jul 26 20:14:50 2001
+++ longtrail-2.2.18-pre1/drivers/scsi/Config.in	Thu Jul 26 20:07:03 2001
@@ -18,6 +18,9 @@
 mainmenu_option next_comment
 comment 'SCSI low-level drivers'

+if [ "$CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL" = "y" ]; then
+   dep_tristate '3ware Hardware ATA-RAID support (EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_BLK_DEV_3W_XXXX_RAID $CONFIG_SCSI
+fi
 dep_tristate '7000FASST SCSI support' CONFIG_SCSI_7000FASST $CONFIG_SCSI
 dep_tristate 'ACARD SCSI support' CONFIG_SCSI_ACARD $CONFIG_SCSI
 dep_tristate 'Adaptec AHA152X/2825 support' CONFIG_SCSI_AHA152X $CONFIG_SCSI
@@ -25,13 +28,12 @@
 dep_tristate 'Adaptec AHA1740 support' CONFIG_SCSI_AHA1740 $CONFIG_SCSI
 dep_tristate 'Adaptec AIC7xxx support' CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX $CONFIG_SCSI
 if [ "$CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX" != "n" ]; then
-    bool '   Override driver defaults for commands per LUN' CONFIG_OVERRIDE_CMDS N
-    if [ "$CONFIG_OVERRIDE_CMDS" != "n" ]; then
-      int  '   Maximum number of commands per LUN' CONFIG_AIC7XXX_CMDS_PER_LUN 24
-    fi
+    bool '   Enable Tagged Command Queueing (TCQ) by default' CONFIG_AIC7XXX_TCQ_ON_BY_DEFAULT
+    int  '   Maximum number of TCQ commands per device' CONFIG_AIC7XXX_CMDS_PER_DEVICE 8
     bool '   Collect statistics to report in /proc' CONFIG_AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS N
     int  '   Delay in seconds after SCSI bus reset' CONFIG_AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY 5
 fi
+dep_tristate 'IBM ServeRAID support' CONFIG_SCSI_IPS $CONFIG_SCSI
 dep_tristate 'AdvanSys SCSI support' CONFIG_SCSI_ADVANSYS $CONFIG_SCSI
 dep_tristate 'Always IN2000 SCSI support' CONFIG_SCSI_IN2000 $CONFIG_SCSI
 dep_tristate 'AM53/79C974 PCI SCSI support' CONFIG_SCSI_AM53C974 $CONFIG_SCSI
@@ -52,9 +54,7 @@
 dep_tristate 'EATA-PIO (old DPT PM2001, PM2012A) support' CONFIG_SCSI_EATA_PIO $CONFIG_SCSI
 dep_tristate 'Future Domain 16xx SCSI/AHA-2920A support' CONFIG_SCSI_FUTURE_DOMAIN $CONFIG_SCSI
 if [ "$CONFIG_MCA" = "y" ]; then
-  if [ "$CONFIG_SCSI" = "y" ]; then
-    bool 'Future Domain MCS-600/700 SCSI support' CONFIG_SCSI_FD_MCS
-  fi
+    dep_tristate 'Future Domain MCS-600/700 SCSI support' CONFIG_SCSI_FD_MCS $CONFIG_SCSI
 fi
 dep_tristate 'GDT SCSI Disk Array Controller support' CONFIG_SCSI_GDTH $CONFIG_SCSI
 dep_tristate 'Generic NCR5380/53c400 SCSI support' CONFIG_SCSI_GENERIC_NCR5380 $CONFIG_SCSI
@@ -78,6 +78,7 @@
 fi
 dep_tristate 'NCR53c406a SCSI support' CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C406A $CONFIG_SCSI
 dep_tristate 'symbios 53c416 SCSI support' CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C416 $CONFIG_SCSI
+dep_tristate 'Simple 53c710 SCSI support (Compaq, NCR machines)' CONFIG_SCSI_SIM710 $CONFIG_SCSI
 if [ "$CONFIG_PCI" = "y" ]; then
   dep_tristate 'NCR53c7,8xx SCSI support'  CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C7xx $CONFIG_SCSI
   if [ "$CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C7xx" != "n" ]; then
@@ -95,8 +96,9 @@
     int  '  synchronous transfers frequency in MHz' CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYNC 20
     bool '  enable profiling' CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_PROFILE
     bool '  use normal IO' CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_IOMAPPED
-    bool '  include support for the NCR PQS/PDS SCSI card' CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_PQS_PDS
-    bool '  enable immediate arbitration' CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_IARB
+    if [ "$CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX" != "n" ]; then
+      bool '  include support for the NCR PQS/PDS SCSI card' CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_PQS_PDS
+    fi
     if [ "$CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS" = "0" ]; then
       bool '  not allow targets to disconnect' CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_NO_DISCONNECT
     fi
diff -ur sym53c8xx-s01-d07-2.2.5-1.5a/drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx.c longtrail-2.2.18-pre1/drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx.c
--- sym53c8xx-s01-d07-2.2.5-1.5a/drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx.c	Thu Jul 26 20:14:05 2001
+++ longtrail-2.2.18-pre1/drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx.c	Thu Jul 26 22:43:12 2001
@@ -73,6 +73,7 @@
 **		53C895	  (Wide,   Fast 40,	 on-board rom BIOS)
 **		53C895A	  (Wide,   Fast 40,	 on-board rom BIOS)
 **		53C896	  (Wide,   Fast 40 Dual, on-board rom BIOS)
+**		53C1510D	  (Wide,   Fast 40 Dual, on-board rom BIOS)
 **
 **	Other features:
 **		Memory mapped IO
@@ -558,10 +559,11 @@
 #endif

 #ifdef __sparc__
+#  include <asm/irq.h>
 #  define remap_pci_mem(base, size)	((u_long) __va(base))
 #  define unmap_pci_mem(vaddr, size)
 #  define pcivtobus(p)			((p) & pci_dvma_mask)
-#  define memcpy_to_pci(a, b, c)	memcpy_toio((u_long) (a), (b), (c))
+#  define memcpy_to_pci(a, b, c)	memcpy_toio((void *) (a), (b), (c))
 #elif defined(__alpha__)
 #  define pcivtobus(p)			((p) & 0xfffffffful)
 #  define memcpy_to_pci(a, b, c)	memcpy_toio((a), (b), (c))
@@ -1808,6 +1810,8 @@
 	*/
 	u_short		device_id;	/* PCI device id		*/
 	u_char		revision_id;	/* PCI device revision id	*/
+	u_char		pci_bus;	/* PCI bus number		*/
+	u_char		pci_devfn;	/* PCI device and function	*/
 	u_int		features;	/* Chip features map		*/
 	u_char		myaddr;		/* SCSI id of the adapter	*/
 	u_char		maxburst;	/* log base 2 of dwords burst	*/
@@ -4582,7 +4586,7 @@
 	**	64 bit (53C895A or 53C896) ?
 	*/
 	if (np->features & FE_64BIT)
-#if BITS_PER_LONG > 32
+#ifdef SCSI_NCR_USE_64BIT_DAC
 		np->rv_ccntl1	|= (XTIMOD | EXTIBMV);
 #else
 		np->rv_ccntl1	|= (DDAC);
@@ -4955,6 +4959,8 @@
 	sprintf(np->inst_name, NAME53C "%s-%d", np->chip_name, np->unit);
 	np->device_id	= device->chip.device_id;
 	np->revision_id	= device->chip.revision_id;
+	np->pci_bus	= device->slot.bus;
+	np->pci_devfn	= device->slot.device_fn;
 	np->features	= device->chip.features;
 	np->clock_divn	= device->chip.nr_divisor;
 	np->maxoffs	= device->chip.offset_max;
@@ -5088,7 +5094,7 @@
 	**	the clock doubler.
 	*/
 	i = (int) ncr_getpciclock(np);
-	if (i > 37000) {
+	if (0 && i > 37000) {
 		printk(KERN_ERR "%s: PCI clock seems too high (%u KHz).\n",
 		       ncr_name(np), i);
 		goto attach_error;
@@ -10091,7 +10097,7 @@
 **	code will get more complex later).
 */

-#if BITS_PER_LONG > 32
+#ifdef SCSI_NCR_USE_64BIT_DAC
 #define SCATTER_ONE(data, badd, len)					\
 	(data)->addr = cpu_to_scr(badd);				\
 	(data)->size = cpu_to_scr((((badd) >> 8) & 0xff000000) + len);
@@ -10531,6 +10537,8 @@
 	u_int f1, f2;
 	int gen = 11;

+	OUTB(nc_istat, SRST); UDELAY (5); OUTB(nc_istat, 0);
+
 	(void) ncrgetfreq (np, gen);	/* throw away first result */
 	f1 = ncrgetfreq (np, gen);
 	f2 = ncrgetfreq (np, gen);
@@ -11290,7 +11298,7 @@
 	**	Ignore Symbios chips controlled by SISL RAID controller.
 	**	This controller sets value 0x52414944 at RAM end - 16.
 	*/
-#ifndef SCSI_NCR_PCI_MEM_NOT_SUPPORTED
+#if defined(__i386__) && !defined(SCSI_NCR_PCI_MEM_NOT_SUPPORTED)
 	if (chip && (base_2 & PCI_BASE_ADDRESS_MEM_MASK)) {
 		unsigned int ram_size, ram_val;
 		u_long ram_ptr;
@@ -11379,6 +11387,8 @@
 	if (!cache_line_size)
 		suggested_cache_line_size = 16;

+	driver_setup.pci_fix_up |= 0x7;
+
 #endif	/* __sparc__ */

 #if defined(__i386__) && !defined(MODULE)
@@ -11692,7 +11702,15 @@
 */
 const char *sym53c8xx_info (struct Scsi_Host *host)
 {
+#ifdef __sparc__
+	/* Ok to do this on all archs? */
+	static char buffer[80];
+	ncb_p np = ((struct host_data *) host->hostdata)->ncb;
+	sprintf (buffer, "%s\nPCI bus %02x device %02x", SCSI_NCR_DRIVER_NAME, np->pci_bus, np->pci_devfn);
+	return buffer;
+#else
 	return SCSI_NCR_DRIVER_NAME;
+#endif
 }

 /*
@@ -12274,7 +12292,13 @@
 	copy_info(&info, "revision id 0x%x\n",	np->revision_id);

 	copy_info(&info, "  IO port address 0x%lx, ", (u_long) np->base_io);
+#ifdef __sparc__
+	copy_info(&info, "IRQ number %s\n", __irq_itoa(np->irq));
+	/* Ok to do this on all archs? */
+	copy_info(&info, "PCI bus %02x device %02x\n", np->pci_bus, np->pci_devfn);
+#else
 	copy_info(&info, "IRQ number %d\n", (int) np->irq);
+#endif

 #ifndef NCR_IOMAPPED
 	if (np->reg)
diff -ur sym53c8xx-s01-d07-2.2.5-1.5a/drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx_defs.h longtrail-2.2.18-pre1/drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx_defs.h
--- sym53c8xx-s01-d07-2.2.5-1.5a/drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx_defs.h	Thu Jul 26 20:14:05 2001
+++ longtrail-2.2.18-pre1/drivers/scsi/sym53c8xx_defs.h	Thu Jul 26 22:42:44 2001
@@ -66,8 +66,9 @@
 #endif
 #include <linux/config.h>

+#ifndef LinuxVersionCode
 #define LinuxVersionCode(v, p, s) (((v)<<16)+((p)<<8)+(s))
-
+#endif
 /*
  * NCR PQS/PDS special device support.
  */
@@ -182,6 +183,13 @@
 #endif

 /*
+ * Should we enable DAC cycles on this platform?
+ * Until further investigation we do not enable it
+ * anywhere at the moment.
+ */
+#undef SCSI_NCR_USE_64BIT_DAC
+
+/*
  * Sync transfer frequency at startup.
  * Allow from 5Mhz to 40Mhz default 20 Mhz.
  */
@@ -395,6 +403,10 @@
 #define PCI_DEVICE_ID_NCR_53C895A 0x12
 #endif

+#ifndef PCI_DEVICE_ID_NCR_53C1510D
+#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_NCR_53C1510D 0xa
+#endif
+
 /*
 **   NCR53C8XX devices features table.
 */
@@ -482,6 +494,9 @@
  {PCI_DEVICE_ID_NCR_53C875, 0x2f, "875E",  6, 16, 5,			\
  FE_WIDE|FE_ULTRA|FE_DBLR|FE_CACHE0_SET|FE_BOF|FE_DFS|FE_LDSTR|FE_PFEN|FE_RAM}\
  ,									\
+ {PCI_DEVICE_ID_NCR_53C875, 0xff, "876",  6, 16, 5,			\
+ FE_WIDE|FE_ULTRA|FE_DBLR|FE_CACHE0_SET|FE_BOF|FE_DFS|FE_LDSTR|FE_PFEN|FE_RAM}\
+ ,									\
  {PCI_DEVICE_ID_NCR_53C875J,0xff, "875J", 6, 16, 5,			\
  FE_WIDE|FE_ULTRA|FE_DBLR|FE_CACHE0_SET|FE_BOF|FE_DFS|FE_LDSTR|FE_PFEN|FE_RAM}\
  ,									\
@@ -498,6 +513,10 @@
  {PCI_DEVICE_ID_NCR_53C895A, 0xff, "895a",  6, 31, 7,			\
  FE_WIDE|FE_ULTRA2|FE_QUAD|FE_CACHE_SET|FE_BOF|FE_DFS|FE_LDSTR|FE_PFEN|FE_RAM|\
  FE_RAM8K|FE_64BIT|FE_IO256|FE_NOPM|FE_LEDC}\
+ ,									\
+ {PCI_DEVICE_ID_NCR_53C1510D, 0xff, "1510D",  7, 31, 7,			\
+ FE_WIDE|FE_ULTRA2|FE_QUAD|FE_CACHE_SET|FE_BOF|FE_DFS|FE_LDSTR|FE_PFEN|FE_RAM|\
+ FE_IO256}\
 }

 /*
@@ -515,7 +534,8 @@
 	PCI_DEVICE_ID_NCR_53C885,	\
 	PCI_DEVICE_ID_NCR_53C895,	\
 	PCI_DEVICE_ID_NCR_53C896,	\
-	PCI_DEVICE_ID_NCR_53C895A	\
+	PCI_DEVICE_ID_NCR_53C895A,	\
+	PCI_DEVICE_ID_NCR_53C1510D	\
 }

 /*

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: SCSI Tape corruption - update
@ 2001-07-27 20:41                 ` Gérard Roudier
From: Gérard Roudier @ 2001-07-27 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: Gérard Roudier, Linux Kernel Development

@ 2001-07-27  7:49               ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2001-07-27  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gérard Roudier; +Cc: Linux Kernel Development

@ 2001-07-20 21:02             ` Gérard Roudier
From: Gérard Roudier @ 2001-07-20 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: Linux Kernel Development

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > New findings:
> >   - The problem doesn't happen with kernels <= 2.2.17. It does happen with all
> >     kernels starting with 2.2.18-pre1.
> >   - The only related stuff that changed in 2.2.18-pre1 seems to be the
> >     Sym53c8xx driver itself. I'll do some more tests soon to isolate the
> >     problem.
> >   - The changes to the Sym53c8xx driver in 2.2.18-pre1 are _huge_. Are the
> >     individual changes between sym53c8xx-1.3g and sym53c8xx-1.7.0 available
> >     somewhere?

Not completely. The reason is that I used manual diffing/patching against
various kernel versions and it would be a PITA to resurrect all
intermediate driver versions using these patches. If we consider patches
that went directly to kernel main stream without changing the driver
version, a double PITA it would be. Btw, for sym-2.1.x series, I now use a
CVS tree and each driver release is tagged independently. For those ones,
it will be much more easy to isolate broken changes.

> The problem is indeed introduced by the changes to the Sym53c8xx in 2.2.18-pre1.
> I managed to find some intermediate versions in the 2.3.x series, and here are the
> results:
>   - sym53c8xx-1.3g (from BK linuxppc_2_2): OK
>   - sym53c8xx-1.5e: crash in SCSI interrupt during driver init
>   - sym53c8xx-1.5f: lock up during driver init
>   - sym53c8xx-1.5g: random 32-byte error bursts when writing to tape

That's an interesting result. But 1.5g - 1.3g diffs are probably very
large. Patches available from ftp.tux.org should allow to resurrect
driver versions 1.4, 1.5, 1.5a, 1.5b, 1.5c, 1.5d.

ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/roudier/drivers/linux/sym53c8xx/README

You may, for example, apply incremental patches that address kernel 2.2.5
to a fresh kernel 2.2.5 tree and extract driver files accordingly.

> Perhaps I can get 1.5e and 1.5g to work using some PPC-specific fixes from the
> 1.3.g driver in the linuxppc_2_2 tree (it differed a bit from the 1.3g in
> Alan's 2.2.17). But even then the changes in 1.5f and 1.5g are rather small,
> compared to the changes between 1.3g and 1.5f.

Some PPC specific changes are very probably not present in my driver
sources. I am unable to help on that point.

> So I'd be very happy if I could get my hand on more intermediate versions.
> Thanks for your help! I _really_ want to nail this one down!
>
> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Regards,
  Gérard.

* Re: SCSI Tape corruption - update
@ 2001-07-20 17:08           ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2001-07-20 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gérard Roudier; +Cc: Linux Kernel Development

@ 2001-07-08 19:01           ` Gérard Roudier
From: Gérard Roudier @ 2001-07-08 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: Linux Kernel Development

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 May 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > In the mean time I down/upgraded to 2.2.17 on my PPC box (CHRP LongTrail,
> > > Sym53c875, HP C5136A  DDS1) and I can confirm that the problem does not happen
> > > under 2.2.17 neither.
> > >
> > > My experiences:
> > >   - reading works fine, writing doesn't
> > >   - 2.2.x works fine, 2.4.x doesn't (at least since 2.4.0-test1-ac10)
> > >   - hardware compression doesn't matter
> > >   - I have a sym53c875, Lorenzo has an Adaptec, so most likely it's not a
> > >     SCSI hardware driver bug
> > >   - I have a PPC, Lorenzo doesn't, so it's not CPU-specific
> > >   - corruption is always a block of 32 bytes being replaced by 32 bytes from
> > >     the previous tape block (depending on block size!) (approx. 6 errors per
> > >     256 MB)
> > >
> > > Lorenzo, can you please investigate the exact nature of the corruption on your
> > > system?
> > >   - How many successive bytes are corrupted?
> > >   - Where do the corrupted data come from?
> >
> > Yesterday I noticed the same corruption under 2.2.19 (yes, I run amverify after
> > backing up my system now, so it detects corruption through the gzip CRCs).
> >
> > I'll do some more tests (when I find time) to get a higher statistical
> > certainty that it really doesn't happen under earlier 2.2.x kernels.
>
> New findings:
>   - The problem doesn't happen with kernels <= 2.2.17. It does happen with all
>     kernels starting with 2.2.18-pre1.
>   - The only related stuff that changed in 2.2.18-pre1 seems to be the
>     Sym53c8xx driver itself. I'll do some more tests soon to isolate the
>     problem.
>   - The changes to the Sym53c8xx driver in 2.2.18-pre1 are _huge_. Are the
>     individual changes between sym53c8xx-1.3g and sym53c8xx-1.7.0 available
>     somewhere?

No. But you can move the sym/ncr driver bundle from 2.2.18-pre1 to 2.2.17
and vice-versa.
 sym53c8xx.h, sym53c8xx_defs.h, sym53c8xx.c,
 sym53c8xx_comm.h, ncr53c8xx.h, ncr53c8xx.c

You also can download either sym-1.7.3c-ncr-3.4.3b, or sym-2.1.11, or just
both and play with all that stuff under 2.2.17 and later 2.2 kernels.

 ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/roudier/README-drivers-linux

Btw, I am interested in results using sym-1.7.3c and sym-2.1.11 under
kernel 2.2.17 and possibly 2.2.18.

> BTW, I wrote a small test program which tries to analyze error bursts. You can
> find it at http://home.tvd.be/cr26864/Download/genpseudorandom.c
>
> Sample test using 200000000 bytes of data:
>
>     genpseudorandom -o -l 200000000  > /dev/tape
>     genpseudorandom -i < /dev/tape

Unfortunately, I haven't any tape device.

> So far I always saw problems when writing even only 10 MB to tape: ca. 3-5
> bursts of 32 or 12 incorrect bytes, which are always a copy of the
> corresponding bytes in the previous block. Of course I used a much larger test
> stream to verify 2.2.17.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
> 						Geert

Thanks for your testings,
  Gérard.

* Re: SCSI Tape corruption - update
@ 2001-07-08 13:33         ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2001-07-08 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gérard Roudier; +Cc: Linux Kernel Development

@ 2001-06-21  9:33       ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2001-06-21  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lorenzo Marcantonio; +Cc: Rob Turk, linux-kernel

@ 2001-05-09  8:33 Ishikawa
From: Ishikawa @ 2001-05-09  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

For comparison purposes,

I use stock kernel 2.4.4.
Use scsi tape support as module.
Tape drive is HP c1539 (aka 1533a) dds-2.
This drive is on the scsi chain of Tekram dc390, tmscsim driver
(used as module).
Hardware compression is enabled.

Under this setup,

    tar cvbf 20 /dev/st0 large_directory

works perfectly, and I can read it back without problem.

What software do you use for writing to tape?

Or maybe the problem is in the latest -ac tree only?

(HP has a software that checks the hardware installation and
drive health.
The software runs on Windows, and it supports firmware upgrade,
simple drive self-check, read/write check, etc. Highly recommended.
Obviously, the software is meant to help the HP tech support.
It generates a support ticket with the internal state of the firmware
media recoverable error statistics history and the like.

If the manufacturer of your tape drive has
a similar test software, you might want to check
the hardware using the vendor software.)

* Re: SCSI Tape corruption - update
@ 2001-05-08  8:16       ` Lorenzo Marcantonio
From: Lorenzo Marcantonio @ 2001-05-08  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: Lorenzo Marcantonio, Rob Turk, linux-kernel

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> In the mean time I down/upgraded to 2.2.17 on my PPC box (CHRP LongTrail,
> Sym53c875, HP C5136A  DDS1) and I can confirm that the problem does not happen
> under 2.2.17 neither.
>
> My experiences:
>   - reading works fine, writing doesn't

Same here

>   - 2.2.x works fine, 2.4.x doesn't (at least since 2.4.0-test1-ac10)

SAME here

>   - hardware compression doesn't matter

SAME HERE

>   - I have a sym53c875, Lorenzo has an Adaptec, so most likely it's not a
>     SCSI hardware driver bug
>   - I have a PPC, Lorenzo doesn't, so it's not CPU-specific
>   - corruption is always a block of 32 bytes being replaced by 32 bytes from
>     the previous tape block (depending on block size!) (approx. 6 errors per
>     256 MB)

YESSS... EXACTLY 32 consecutive bytes are different. I'll bet we've got
the same problem

>   - How many successive bytes are corrupted?
>   - Where do the corrupted data come from?

Hmmmm.... I'll set up some sort of binary pattern match. This afternoon
I'll pinpoint the source of the rogue bytes...

@ 2001-05-08  7:12     ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2001-05-08  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lorenzo Marcantonio; +Cc: Rob Turk, linux-kernel

@ 2001-05-07 19:15   ` Lorenzo Marcantonio
From: Lorenzo Marcantonio @ 2001-05-07 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Turk; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Rob Turk wrote:

> Lorenzo,
>
> Have you ruled out hardware failures? There's been a few isolated reports

That tape drive (Sony SDT-9000, less than 2 years of service) works
perfectly on Windows NT (were it was before) and even on Linux 2.2

Also the cartridge was brand new.

(BTW, I've tried even with DC disabled. Well, it's REALLY fast
dumping /dev/zero on tape with DC enabled :) )

@ 2001-05-07 15:39 ` Rob Turk
From: Rob Turk @ 2001-05-07 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

"Lorenzo Marcantonio" <lorenzo.marcantonio@sinfopragma.it> wrote in message

> As of my latest build [2.4.5-pre1] I've STILL got the tape corruption
> problem. Some new facts:
>
> (1) It happens only writing the tape (tried exchanging tapes with a
> brand new Alpha Digital Tru64 box). I can read her tape, she can't read
> my tape. Tried with GNU tar and gzip.

Lorenzo,

Have you ruled out hardware failures? There's been a few isolated reports
about tape drives returning good status on write, where in fact they were
writing corrupt data. This can happen when the compression hardware is
malfunctioning. On many tape drives, read-back check isn't carried all the
way back to the original (uncompressed) data.

Rob

* SCSI Tape corruption - update
@ 2001-05-07 14:46 Lorenzo Marcantonio
From: Lorenzo Marcantonio @ 2001-05-07 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

As of my latest build [2.4.5-pre1] I've STILL got the tape corruption
problem. Some new facts:

(1) It happens only writing the tape (tried exchanging tapes with a
brand new Alpha Digital Tru64 box). I can read her tape, she can't read
my tape. Tried with GNU tar and gzip.

(2) I suppose it isn't fault of AIC7xxx driver (tried both new and old)

(3) Playing with block size doesn't help (even tried variable block
size)

What can I do? Can I set some kind of trace to pinpoint the problem (in
st.c, maybe?)

				-- Lorenzo Marcantonio