* RE:Re: ide drive dying?
@ 2002-09-08  3:03 Hell.Surfers
From: Hell.Surfers @ 2002-09-08  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andre, drf5n, jbradford, alan, degger, linux-kernel

I simply wondered why ibm moaned about supporting linux loads, yet don't have a decent linux flash update for their drives. If their stuff is written in C# why don't they port it to Ximian Mono?

Thanks. Regards, Dean McEwan. OpenModemTalk creator.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2496 bytes --]

From: Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org>
To: Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net
Cc: drf5n@mug.sys.virginia.edu, jbradford@dial.pipex.com, alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk, degger@fhm.edu, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: RE:Re: ide drive dying?
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 17:17:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hell.Surfers,

Because when I was booted out of 2.5, effectively, the API for DFT was
deleted.  So you take away the means to make it work, and they stop moving
that direction.  Now that -AC series has the API, and 2.5 will see a full
return of it, I now have to restart the process to motivate them again.
However since Hitachi may end up buying out IBM's disk manufacturing
business and their product lines, I now have to go an try an court (old
dating term for the post 70's crowd) Hitachi.

Now, what do you want?

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002 Hell.Surfers@cwctv.net wrote:

> Why don't IBM do a Linux version? Don't they have a linux firmware utility? I thought IBM had a campaign to support linux...
>
> Thanks. Regards, Dean McEwan. OpenModemTalk creator.
>
> On 	Sat, 7 Sep 2002 19:19:21 -0400 (EDT) 	David Forrest <drf5n@mug.sys.virginia.edu> wrote:

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

-

* RE:Re: ide drive dying?
@ 2002-09-08  4:25 ` Andre Hedrick
From: Andre Hedrick @ 2002-09-08  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hell.Surfers; +Cc: linux-kernel

I am sorry, what part did you not understand?

IBM == Big Corporation of decoupled divisions equal to "Two Zaks" by Dr. Seuss

The communication is going the same direction.

Cheers, Have a Great Day, Bye.

@ 2002-09-08  0:17 ` Andre Hedrick
From: Andre Hedrick @ 2002-09-08  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hell.Surfers; +Cc: drf5n, jbradford, alan, degger, linux-kernel

@ 2002-09-07 23:51 Hell.Surfers
From: Hell.Surfers @ 2002-09-07 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drf5n, jbradford, alan, degger, linux-kernel

Why don't IBM do a Linux version? Don't they have a linux firmware utility? I thought IBM had a campaign to support linux...

Thanks. Regards, Dean McEwan. OpenModemTalk creator.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2162 bytes --]

From: David Forrest <drf5n@mug.sys.virginia.edu>
To: <jbradford@dial.pipex.com>
Cc: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>, <degger@fhm.edu>, <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: ide drive dying?
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 19:19:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 jbradford@dial.pipex.com wrote:

> Here is the URL:
>
> http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=psg1MIGR-39082
>
> it expressly states that the firmware is intended for the DTLA-307060.

The firmware update is for many more drives than that, My own

     Model=IBM-DTLA-305040, FwRev=TW4OA60A

is also recommended, as well as many with a FwRev=xxxOyzzz with zzz<66A.
Now i have to find a windows machine to try it out on...

Dave,

--
 Dave Forrest                                   drf5n@virginia.edu
 (804)642-0662h (434)924-3954w  http://mug.sys.virginia.edu/~drf5n/

-

* Re: RE:Re: ide drive dying?
@ 2002-09-07 12:03   ` Daniel Egger
From: Daniel Egger @ 2002-09-07 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: linux-kernel

Am Fre, 2002-09-06 um 23.01 schrieb Alan Cox:

> Thats up to the owner. There are lots of uses for such drives - /tmp,
> swap, in a raid array, etc

Having two of such notorious broken drives in a RAID array is also
not an option in many cases. Mirroring is meant to increase data
security in case a drive fails spontaneously; using particularly bad
drives for that purpose is a way to work against the reason.

> Mind you I collect drives that have nice properties like "hangs the
> entire scsi bus when inserted into an SCA connector" for testing with

You probably should keep a DeathStar as the worst drive ever made.
Heck, if my latest replacement drive from IBM ("serviceable used part")
starts failing again I might as well ship it to you instead of IBM.

--
Servus,
       Daniel

[-- Attachment #2: Dies ist ein digital signierter Nachrichtenteil --]

* Re: RE:Re: ide drive dying?
@ 2002-09-06 21:45   ` jbradford
From: jbradford @ 2002-09-06 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> > Is a drive you cant rely on worth having?
>
> Thats up to the owner. There are lots of uses for such drives - /tmp,
> swap, in a raid array, etc

..primary Windows partition :-)

* Re: RE:Re: ide drive dying?
@ 2002-09-06 21:01 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2002-09-06 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hell.Surfers; +Cc: degger, linux-kernel

@ 2002-09-06 20:40 Hell.Surfers
From: Hell.Surfers @ 2002-09-06 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alan, degger, linux-kernel

Is a drive you cant rely on worth having?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2672 bytes --]

From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
To: Daniel Egger <degger@fhm.edu>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Date: 06 Sep 2002 21:31:25 +0100

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 18:33, Daniel Egger wrote:
> Am Fre, 2002-09-06 um 17.38 schrieb Alan Cox:
>
> > Get the IBM disk tools, upgrade the firmware and see what the ibm tools
> > have to say. IBM drives have had some problems with spontaneous bad
> > blocks appearing that go away with new firmware and a run of the disk
> > tools.
>
> The "run of the disk tools" that does away with the badblocks is a
> lowlevel format; a tedious way to spent ones' time on a harddrive
> that will die anyway soon.

For the IBM's it depends what the problem is. Spontaneous bad blocks
appearing during power off appears to be fixed by the firmware update
-