* Promise SATA chips
@ 2003-02-12 12:33 Måns Rullgård
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-02-12 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Are there any drivers being developed for Promise's SATA chips
(e.g. the pdc20275 with PCI id 0x3375)?  Or do I have to disassemble
their driver to use it on non-intel machines?

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@users.sf.net

* Re: Promise SATA chips
@ 2003-02-12 19:06 ` Samuel Flory
       [not found] ` <1045064470.2166.4.camel@irongate.swansea.linux.org.uk>
From: Samuel Flory @ 2003-02-12 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Måns Rullgård; +Cc: linux-kernel

Måns Rullgård wrote:

>Are there any drivers being developed for Promise's SATA chips
>(e.g. the pdc20275 with PCI id 0x3375)?  Or do I have to disassemble
>their driver to use it on non-intel machines?

  Last I checked there was no open driver and no prospect of one.  Do
yourself a favor and use the silicon image chipset.

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.

* Re: Promise SATA chips
@ 2003-02-13  7:03   ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-02-13  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Samuel Flory <sflory@rackable.com> writes:

> >Are there any drivers being developed for Promise's SATA chips
> >(e.g. the pdc20275 with PCI id 0x3375)?  Or do I have to disassemble
> >their driver to use it on non-intel machines?
>
>   Last I checked there was no open driver and no prospect of one.  Do
>   yourself a favor and use the silicon image chipset.

The problem is that no local dealers have it for sale.  Neither do
they sell Hightpoint gear.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@users.sf.net

* Re: Promise SATA chips
       [not found] ` <1045064470.2166.4.camel@irongate.swansea.linux.org.uk>
@ 2003-02-13  7:06   ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-02-13  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> > Are there any drivers being developed for Promise's SATA chips
> > (e.g. the pdc20275 with PCI id 0x3375)?  Or do I have to disassemble
> > their driver to use it on non-intel machines?
>
> As far as I am aware there is no documentation available on this
> chipset.

Shouldn't someone try to get some from them?  Or has it already been
tried?  I tried sending email to an address I found in the existing
pdc* driver, but it bounces.

If they refuse to cooperate like this I can Promise I will never buy
any of their cards.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@users.sf.net

* Re: Promise SATA chips
       [not found] ` <1045064470.2166.4.camel@irongate.swansea.linux.org.uk>
@ 2003-02-13  8:08 ` Andre Hedrick
From: Andre Hedrick @ 2003-02-13  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Måns Rullgård; +Cc: linux-kernel

NOPE !!

Neither Promise or I can agree to a contract to develop them.
Use Silicon Image products.

On 12 Feb 2003, Måns Rullgård wrote:

> Are there any drivers being developed for Promise's SATA chips
> (e.g. the pdc20275 with PCI id 0x3375)?  Or do I have to disassemble
> their driver to use it on non-intel machines?
>
> --
> Måns Rullgård
> mru@users.sf.net
> -

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

* Re: Promise SATA chips
@ 2003-02-13  9:45   ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-02-13  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Hedrick; +Cc: Måns Rullgård, linux-kernel

Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org> writes:

> NOPE !!
>
> Neither Promise or I can agree to a contract to develop them.

What's the problem?  Can't they be made to release the source code to
the driver they provide for intel machines?

> Use Silicon Image products.

I can't get them.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@users.sf.net

* Re: Promise SATA chips
@ 2003-02-13 10:04     ` Andre Hedrick
From: Andre Hedrick @ 2003-02-13 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Måns Rullgård; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 13 Feb 2003, Måns Rullgård wrote:

> Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org> writes:
>
> > NOPE !!
> >
> > Neither Promise or I can agree to a contract to develop them.
>
> What's the problem?  Can't they be made to release the source code to

The problem is they want an entire list of every piece of intellectual
property I have or own.  This is a means to claim anything else I do is
derived off their IP and they own it.  This will not happen.

Some other poor bastard can sign their NDA's to write their drivers.

> the driver they provide for intel machines?

Right, I count the number of fingers I have before and after I shake hands
with the folks in their camp.  If I get an extra, I feel sorry for the
poor bastard who was there before me.

I still have 4 fingers and 1 thumb on each hand, and I plan to keep it
that way.

> > Use Silicon Image products.
>
> I can't get them.

Hogwash, they dominate the market space and are on all the Intel
Mainboards that are 845e and above.

@ 2003-02-13 20:51       ` Matthias Schniedermeyer
From: Matthias Schniedermeyer @ 2003-02-13 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Hedrick; +Cc: =?unknown-8bit?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=unknown-8bit, Size: 705 bytes --]

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 02:04:50AM -0800, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> On 13 Feb 2003, Måns Rullgård wrote:
>
> > > Use Silicon Image products.
> >
> > I can't get them.
>
> Hogwash, they dominate the market space and are on all the Intel
> Mainboards that are 845e and above.

Btw. I've looked and the "HighPoint RocketRAID 1540" (4 Channel
Serial-ATA) looks "nice".

Is/Should this controller be supported by the "siimage"-driver?

Bis denn

* Re: Promise SATA chips
@ 2003-02-14  6:27         ` Andre Hedrick
From: Andre Hedrick @ 2003-02-14  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Schniedermeyer
  Cc: =?unknown-8bit?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, linux-kernel

This one is the HPT374 with Marvell bridge chips slapped on it.
It is natively supported with the PATA driver.

Cheers,

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:

> > > I can't get them.
> >
> > Hogwash, they dominate the market space and are on all the Intel
> > Mainboards that are 845e and above.
>
> Btw. I've looked and the "HighPoint RocketRAID 1540" (4 Channel
> Serial-ATA) looks "nice".
>
> Is/Should this controller be supported by the "siimage"-driver?
>

> Bis denn
>
> --
> Real Programmers consider "what you see is what you get" to be just as
> bad a concept in Text Editors as it is in women. No, the Real Programmer
> wants a "you asked for it, you got it" text editor -- complicated,
> cryptic, powerful, unforgiving, dangerous.

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

* Re: Promise SATA chips
       [not found] <no.id>