* Promise 202XX: neither IDE port enabled
@ 2003-04-05  3:08 Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger @ 2003-04-05  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: kernel, jonathan, adam.johansson, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger,
	ataraid-list, dakota, mast, alanmiles

Hello all,

[CC:ed all people who had problems with CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE]

I'm currently debugging these Promise Fasttrak recognition problems.
PDC20270: neither IDE port enabled (BIOS)
is one of those pesky messages you will see if it doesn't work.
Could you (if you have the hardware) please test 2.4.21-pre7 with

CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE=y

in your .config? If you prefer using the frontends for configuration,
the option is labeled

"Special FastTrak Feature"

and set it to Y.
If enabling this option causes any problems, please tell me.
Note: this message is about 2.4.21-pre7 (and later) ONLY.

Thank you for testing this.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org

* Re: Promise 202XX: neither IDE port enabled
@ 2003-04-05  9:43 ` kernel
From: kernel @ 2003-04-05  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
  Cc: linux-kernel, jonathan, adam.johansson, ataraid-list, dakota,
	mast, alanmiles

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

> CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE=y
>
> "Special FastTrak Feature"
>
> and set it to Y.

this does work :

PDC20270: IDE controller at PCI slot 03:01.0
PDC20270: chipset revision 2
PDC20270: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0x9040-0x9047, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0x9048-0x904f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
    ide4: BM-DMA at 0x90c0-0x90c7, BIOS settings: hdi:pio, hdj:pio
    ide5: BM-DMA at 0x90c8-0x90cf, BIOS settings: hdk:pio, hdl:pio
PDC20267: IDE controller at PCI slot 05:06.0
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 05:06.0
PDC20267: chipset revision 2
PDC20267: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
PDC20267: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary MASTER Mode Secondary MASTER
Mode.
    ide6: BM-DMA at 0xb800-0xb807, BIOS settings: hdm:pio, hdn:pio
    ide7: BM-DMA at 0xb808-0xb80f, BIOS settings: hdo:pio, hdp:pio

wasn't the 'CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE' to enable fasttrak support istead of
using it like an Ultra controller ?

 *  Linux kernel will misunderstand FastTrak ATA-RAID series as Ultra
 *  IDE Controller, UNLESS you enable "CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE"
 *  That's you can use FastTrak ATA-RAID controllers as IDE controllers.

* Re: Promise 202XX: neither IDE port enabled
@ 2003-04-05 11:02   ` Andre Hedrick
From: Andre Hedrick @ 2003-04-05 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel
  Cc: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger, linux-kernel, jonathan, adam.johansson,
	ataraid-list, dakota, mast, alanmiles

It is designed to allow you to overide a FastTrack BIOS that disables a
few items in pci-config space.  Regardless if you have a FastTrack or
Ultra, if enabled the device can be registered.  If you have a FastTrack
and want to use ata-raid by Arjan V. and not the OEM scsi binary driver,
you must enable the override.  If you want to use the OEM scsi binary
driver with FastTrack, do not set the override.  Ultra's do not care.
If they do it is a BUG!

Cheers,

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 kernel@ddx.a2000.nu wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>
> > CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE=y
> >
> > "Special FastTrak Feature"
> >
> > and set it to Y.
>
> this does work :
>
> PDC20270: IDE controller at PCI slot 03:01.0
> PDC20270: chipset revision 2
> PDC20270: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>     ide2: BM-DMA at 0x9040-0x9047, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
>     ide3: BM-DMA at 0x9048-0x904f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
>     ide4: BM-DMA at 0x90c0-0x90c7, BIOS settings: hdi:pio, hdj:pio
>     ide5: BM-DMA at 0x90c8-0x90cf, BIOS settings: hdk:pio, hdl:pio
> PDC20267: IDE controller at PCI slot 05:06.0
> PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 05:06.0
> PDC20267: chipset revision 2
> PDC20267: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> PDC20267: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary MASTER Mode Secondary MASTER
> Mode.
>     ide6: BM-DMA at 0xb800-0xb807, BIOS settings: hdm:pio, hdn:pio
>     ide7: BM-DMA at 0xb808-0xb80f, BIOS settings: hdo:pio, hdp:pio
>
> wasn't the 'CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE' to enable fasttrak support istead of
> using it like an Ultra controller ?
>
>  *  Linux kernel will misunderstand FastTrak ATA-RAID series as Ultra
>  *  IDE Controller, UNLESS you enable "CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE"
>  *  That's you can use FastTrak ATA-RAID controllers as IDE controllers.
>
> -

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

* Re: Promise 202XX: neither IDE port enabled
       [not found] <200304051721.21663.markus.kossmann@inka.de>
@ 2003-04-05 20:56 ` Andre Hedrick
From: Andre Hedrick @ 2003-04-05 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Kossmann; +Cc: linux-kernel

It is messy because there is no way to commit parameters passed to change
the contents of static initdata, iirc.  However I need to think about this
more.

Cheers,