* ipchains
@ 2001-06-18 15:57 Ted Gervais
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ted Gervais @ 2001-06-18 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I just ran into something odd. To me anyways, it was odd.
I just installed and brought up kernel 2.4.5 and my ipchains failed.
So I upgraded to the latest (that I could find) ipchains-1.3.10, and
that also fails.

Has anyone got any version of ipchains to work with the new(er) kernels?

---
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
                -- Voltaire

Ted Gervais <ve1drg@ve1drg.com>
44.135.34.201 linux.ve1drg.ampr.org

* Re: ipchains
@ 2001-06-18 16:20 ` Fabian Arias
From: Fabian Arias @ 2001-06-18 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Gervais; +Cc: linux-kernel

ronto:~# uname -r
2.4.5-ac15
ronto:~# ipchains --version
ipchains 1.3.10, 1-Sep-2000
ronto:~# ipchains -L
Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
target     prot opt     source                destination           ports
DENY       all  ----l-  pD951B780.dip.t-dialin.net anywhere
n/a
DENY       all  ----l-  CM-46-30.chello.cl   anywhere              n/a
DENY       all  ----l-  199.103.178.1        anywhere              n/a

Are you shure you get it right into the kernel?.

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Ted Gervais wrote:

> I just ran into something odd. To me anyways, it was odd.
> I just installed and brought up kernel 2.4.5 and my ipchains failed.
> So I upgraded to the latest (that I could find) ipchains-1.3.10, and
> that also fails.
>
> Has anyone got any version of ipchains to work with the new(er) kernels?
>
> ---
> Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
>                 -- Voltaire
>
> Ted Gervais <ve1drg@ve1drg.com>
> 44.135.34.201 linux.ve1drg.ampr.org
>

> -

 ---
 Fabian Arias Mu~oz                     |    		  Debian GNU/Linux Sid
 Facultad de Cs. Economicas y           |      	   Kernel 2.4.5ac15 - ReiserFS
 Administrativas.                       |                     "aka" dewback en
 Universidad de Concepcion   -  Chile   |                 #linuxhelp IRC.CHILE

* Re: ipchains
@ 2001-06-18 17:09 ` D. Stimits
From: D. Stimits @ 2001-06-18 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Gervais; +Cc: linux-kernel

Ted Gervais wrote:

> I just ran into something odd. To me anyways, it was odd.
> I just installed and brought up kernel 2.4.5 and my ipchains failed.
> So I upgraded to the latest (that I could find) ipchains-1.3.10, and
> that also fails.
>
> Has anyone got any version of ipchains to work with the new(er) kernels?
>
> ---
> Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
>                 -- Voltaire
>
> Ted Gervais <ve1drg@ve1drg.com>
> 44.135.34.201 linux.ve1drg.ampr.org
>
> -

It works, but you can't load iptables modules at the same time as
ipchains. Be sure ipchains is the only module you are loading. rmmod any
iptables items before modprobe of ipchains. If you are running redhat,
also do not believe the script in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains as to
whether or not ipchains is actually running, it is broken (does not
check return values), and lies and does not tell you when ipchains
startup fails (as root manually do something like ipchains -L -n).

D. Stimits, stimits@idcomm.com

* [OT] Re: ipchains
@ 2001-06-18 19:09 ` J Sloan
From: J Sloan @ 2001-06-18 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Gervais; +Cc: linux-kernel

Ted Gervais wrote:

> I just ran into something odd. To me anyways, it was odd.
> I just installed and brought up kernel 2.4.5 and my ipchains failed.
> So I upgraded to the latest (that I could find) ipchains-1.3.10, and
> that also fails.
>
> Has anyone got any version of ipchains to work with the new(er) kernels?

For what it's worth, Red Hat 7.1 ships iptables
with ipchains emulation, which works out of the
box on their 2.4.2 kernel

cu

jjs

* Re: [OT] Re: ipchains
@ 2001-06-18 20:37   ` Ted Gervais
From: Ted Gervais @ 2001-06-18 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J Sloan; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, J Sloan wrote:

> > I just ran into something odd. To me anyways, it was odd.
> > I just installed and brought up kernel 2.4.5 and my ipchains failed.
> > So I upgraded to the latest (that I could find) ipchains-1.3.10, and
> > that also fails.
> >
> > Has anyone got any version of ipchains to work with the new(er) kernels?
>
> For what it's worth, Red Hat 7.1 ships iptables
> with ipchains emulation, which works out of the
> box on their 2.4.2 kernel

Yup!  But I am running Slackware7.1 here.
Thanks anyways..
---