* 2.4.6: Machine Check Exception:  0x  106BE0  (type 0x   9).
@ 2001-07-04 16:27 David Thor Bragason
From: David Thor Bragason @ 2001-07-04 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,

I wrote to this list the other day about how I didn't get 2.4.5 to boot on
my Compaq LTE 5200 laptop. This is a Pentium 120MHz, 72MB RAM with an
OPTi Viper chipset. The strange thing is, all kernels up to 2.4.4
(inclusive) compile and run flawlessly on this machine. Only when I tried
to upgrade to 2.4.5 did I get what looks like a hardware problem, and the
machine does not boot. There is nothing wrong with the kernel
configuration, and I tried gcc 2.95, 3.0, and, to be absolutely sure,
2.91.66 (the recommended compiler). I then had the same problem with a
2.4.6pre kernel, and, today, with the 2.4.6.

The error message I'm getting now is:

CPU#0:  Machine Check Exception:  0x  106BE0  (type 0x   9).

This line is repeated over and over again (with the spaces).

There are some lines that fly by before that, though, and I went to some
lengths trying to capture them the other day. (They scroll by too fast to
be seen.) First I tried to set CONFIG_LP_CONSOLE and pass the appropriate
line to lilo, but nothing came out of
the printer. Then I tried lkcd (the kernel debugging patch/tool), but it
seems that the machine hangs too early in the boot process for that tool
to work. If the message above doesn't mean anything to anyone, I guess
I'll have to rent a videocamera and tape my laptop trying to boot :)

I stress that 2.4.4 still compiles and runs without a problem. Does this
make any sense for a hardware problem? Was there any new hardware (cpu)
check introduced in 2.4.5? I'd be very grateful for any tips,
and could you please cc: them to me, as I don't subscribe to this
list. Thanks!

David Bragason,  <bragason at uni-freiburg dot de>

* Re: 2.4.6: Machine Check Exception:  0x  106BE0  (type 0x   9).
@ 2001-07-04 17:08 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-07-04 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Thor Bragason; +Cc: linux-kernel

> I stress that 2.4.4 still compiles and runs without a problem. Does this
> make any sense for a hardware problem? Was there any new hardware (cpu)
> check introduced in 2.4.5? I'd be very grateful for any tips,

Yes. 2.4.5 reports MCE rather than praying the detected error or out of
tolerance event did anything bad

2.4.6 has a "nomce" boot option too

* Re: 2.4.6: Machine Check Exception:  0x  106BE0  (type 0x   9).
@ 2001-07-06 19:51 ` frank
From: frank @ 2001-07-06 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, David Thor Bragason wrote:

> Hello,

I have the exact same exception on an LTE 5280 (32 MB RAM). AFAIK it only
differs from the 5200 by a slightly larger screen. The machine works fine
with the MCE initialisation commented out (or with a 2.2 series kernel)

Frank

> I wrote to this list the other day about how I didn't get 2.4.5 to boot on
> my Compaq LTE 5200 laptop. This is a Pentium 120MHz, 72MB RAM with an
> OPTi Viper chipset. The strange thing is, all kernels up to 2.4.4
> (inclusive) compile and run flawlessly on this machine. Only when I tried
> to upgrade to 2.4.5 did I get what looks like a hardware problem, and the
> machine does not boot. There is nothing wrong with the kernel
> configuration, and I tried gcc 2.95, 3.0, and, to be absolutely sure,
> 2.91.66 (the recommended compiler). I then had the same problem with a
> 2.4.6pre kernel, and, today, with the 2.4.6.
>
> The error message I'm getting now is:
>
> CPU#0:  Machine Check Exception:  0x  106BE0  (type 0x   9).
>
> This line is repeated over and over again (with the spaces).
>
> There are some lines that fly by before that, though, and I went to some
> lengths trying to capture them the other day. (They scroll by too fast to
> be seen.) First I tried to set CONFIG_LP_CONSOLE and pass the appropriate
> line to lilo, but nothing came out of
> the printer. Then I tried lkcd (the kernel debugging patch/tool), but it
> seems that the machine hangs too early in the boot process for that tool
> to work. If the message above doesn't mean anything to anyone, I guess
> I'll have to rent a videocamera and tape my laptop trying to boot :)
>
> I stress that 2.4.4 still compiles and runs without a problem. Does this
> make any sense for a hardware problem? Was there any new hardware (cpu)
> check introduced in 2.4.5? I'd be very grateful for any tips,
> and could you please cc: them to me, as I don't subscribe to this
> list. Thanks!
>
> David Bragason,  <bragason at uni-freiburg dot de>
>

> -

HI! I'm a .signature virus! cp me into your .signature file to help me spread!