* PROBLEM: copying/creating large (>500MB) files results in sluggish behaviour.
@ 2001-07-23 18:10 Jochen Siebert
From: Jochen Siebert @ 2001-07-23 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,                     (look at the end of email for data)

I´ve got a problem with my linux 2.4.7 box. If I download a
large (>500MB) file from a computer connected via 100Mbit
LAN (i.e. with more than 2MB/s) *or* I create such a large
file via the "dd" command (dd if=/dev/zero of=sloow)
after some time my computer gets very sluggy and reacts
veery sloow. I´ve watched the memory usage while creating
such a big file and noticed that all memory gets filled up,
and even swapping starts, *before* the disk starts to write
the file. Ok, so swapping and file writing at once seems to
be not such a good idea of the kernel, even if the IBM
IC35L040 IDE disk is a fast one. Feel free to ask my via
email.

Adies,
Jochen

ps: plz cc me.

Now the facts:
=============================
ver_linux:
Gnu C                  2.96
Gnu make               3.79.1
binutils               2.10.1.0.2
util-linux             2.10s
mount                  2.11b
modutils               2.4.3
e2fsprogs              1.19
reiserfsprogs          3.x.0i
PPP                    2.4.0
Linux C Library        2.2.2
Dynamic linker (ldd)   2.2.2
Procps                 2.0.7
Net-tools              1.59
Console-tools          0.2.3
Sh-utils               2.0
Modules Loaded         serial parport_pc lp parport mga
agpgart es1371 ac97_codec 3c59x nls_iso8859-1 nls_cp850
vfat fat
===============================
kernel 2.4.7,
ASUS A7V board,
MemTotal:       384880 kB +128MB Swap,
reiserfs
====================
cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 3
model name      : AMD Duron(tm) Processor
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 908.119
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep
mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext
3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 1808.79
====================
modules:
serial                 43472   0 (autoclean)
parport_pc             23632   1 (autoclean)
lp                      5520   0 (autoclean)
parport                26144   1 (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
mga                    91312   1
agpgart                13024   3
es1371                 25872   0
ac97_codec              8464   0 [es1371]
3c59x                  25088   1 (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1           2864   2 (autoclean)
nls_cp850               3616   2 (autoclean)
vfat                    9328   2 (autoclean)
fat                    31776   0 (autoclean) [vfat]
====================
UDMA 100 controller:
cat /proc/ide/pdc202xx

                                PDC20265 Chipset.
------------------------------- General Status
---------------------------------Burst Mode
          : enabled
Host Mode                            : Normal
Bus Clocking                         : 33 PCI Internal
IO pad select                        : 10 mA
Status Polling Period                : 8
Interrupt Check Status Polling Delay : 2
--------------- Primary Channel ---------------- Secondary
Channel -------------                enabled
          enabled
66 Clocking     enabled                          disabled
           Mode PCI                         Mode PCI
                FIFO Empty                       FIFO Empty
--------------- drive0 --------- drive1 -------- drive0
---------- drive1 ------DMA enabled:    yes              no
             no                no
DMA Mode:       UDMA 4           NOTSET          NOTSET
       NOTSET
PIO Mode:       PIO 4            NOTSET           NOTSET
        NOTSET

jochen siebert  fon +49/241/89449581 mobil +49/178/5400301
siebert@physik.rwth-aachen.de                 icq #6257096
browse  to   http://www.pgp.net  to  get my public pgp key
fprint: BAD0 5B0D E645 BF63 D2E9  8BCD 9516 BAB5 D67E 6F2B

* Re: PROBLEM: copying/creating large (>500MB) files results in sluggish behaviour.
@ 2001-08-06  8:40 ` Wojtek Pilorz
From: Wojtek Pilorz @ 2001-08-06  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jochen Siebert; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Jochen Siebert wrote:

> Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:10:34 +0000
> From: Jochen Siebert <siebert@kawo2.rwth-aachen.de>
> To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
> Subject: PROBLEM: copying/creating large (>500MB) files results in
>     sluggish behaviour.
>
> Hi,                     (look at the end of email for data)
>
> I´ve got a problem with my linux 2.4.7 box. If I download a
> large (>500MB) file from a computer connected via 100Mbit
> LAN (i.e. with more than 2MB/s) *or* I create such a large
> file via the "dd" command (dd if=/dev/zero of=sloow)
> after some time my computer gets very sluggy and reacts
> veery sloow. I´ve watched the memory usage while creating
> such a big file and noticed that all memory gets filled up,
> and even swapping starts, *before* the disk starts to write
> the file. Ok, so swapping and file writing at once seems to
> be not such a good idea of the kernel, even if the IBM
> IC35L040 IDE disk is a fast one. Feel free to ask my via
> email.
>
> Adies,
> Jochen
>
> ps: plz cc me.
>
> Now the facts:
> =============================
[...]
> MemTotal:       384880 kB +128MB Swap,

I can see similar problem with kernels 2.2.x when writing a large amount
of data (compared to size of RAM, of size of free RAM) to a slow media (PD
drive , with write performance of about 250 kBytes/s).

It seems all data is 'cached' before being written, and this can make
system really unusable for the copy time - login from console can take
several minutes.
My understanding is that Linux is too aggressive in caching data to be
written and does not make distinction between fast and slow media;

The only workaround I am aware of is to reduce the speed data is put to
the filesystem (e.g. by using rsync with option --bwlimit)

Best regards,

Wojtek