* what ever happened to fastpath routing?
@ 2001-09-07 10:17 Kain
From: Kain @ 2001-09-07 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Sorry if I posted this twice.. Email for me has been screwed for most of Sep. 6 and some of Sep. 7.

What ever happened to fastpath routing in the 2.4 Kernel?  I still see the API
there, but the only driver I see implementing it is dummy :(

--
Dance is the vertical expression of a horizontal intention.
**

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 232 bytes --]

* Re: what ever happened to fastpath routing?
@ 2001-09-07 10:31 ` Martin Josefsson
From: Martin Josefsson @ 2001-09-07 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kain; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Kain wrote:

> Sorry if I posted this twice.. Email for me has been screwed for most of Sep. 6 and some of Sep. 7.
>
> What ever happened to fastpath routing in the 2.4 Kernel?  I still see the API
> there, but the only driver I see implementing it is dummy :(

I don't know why the support for fastrouting was removed from the
tulip-driver (the only real driver I think ever had it).

If you are interested in a tulip-driver that has excellent performance
(even without fastrouting) and has support for fastrouting take a look at
this:

ftp://robur.slu.se/pub/Linux/net-development/tulip-ss010402-poll.tar.gz

this driver can route over 200k pps _without_ fastrouting on a pII 350.
(this is obvious with more than two interfaces or with traffic in both
directions)

This driver is both irq-driven and polling, it polls at high loads.

/Martin