* Re: PDC20276 Linux driver
       [not found] <1037192260.1501.1.camel@darkstar>
@ 2002-11-13 13:51 ` ricci
From: ricci @ 2002-11-13 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Freaky; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 13 Nov 2002, Freaky wrote:

> I couldn't install slackware at all, even with my home compiled kernel.
> It just doesn't recognize the /dev/ataraid/d?p? drives and tells me
> there are no disks with ext2 filesystems when I try to start setup.

You can simply mount /dev/ataraid/d?p? on /mnt and start  the slackware
installation setup script skipping the selection of the target, the swap
and the lilo configuration; after istallation is completed, you can edit
/etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf as you whish.

> You need the ataraid drivers for the pdc don't you?
I compiled the kernel with PDC202XX driver, with ataraid and with FastTrak
ataraid driver.

> How did you compile pdc without ataraid?
I tryed to compile pdc202xx and not ataraid to try to use software raid.
Is this the answer you were lookig for?

In all the cases my pdc20276 hangs after about half a gigabyte written
into any disk.

* Re: PDC20276 Linux driver
@ 2002-11-13 12:19           ` ricci
From: ricci @ 2002-11-13 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 Nov 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 15:43, ricci@trinityteam.it wrote:
> > During Slackware installation (whith kernel compiled by myself), after
> > about half a gigabyte written in the disk/disks all process
> > reading/writeing from/to the disks stop running, I cannot kill them, ps
> > show me them with the 'D' flag, I cannot umount the disk/disks.
>
> What drives, exactly what messages are logged (dmesg) ?

I made many tryes, and I taken for u 6 (I hope) significant tests
2.4.19 whith pdc drivers with and without softwer raid
2.5.46 whith pdc drivers with and without softwer raid
2.4.19 whith ataraid drivers with and without pdc drivers
all these tests issue the same problem.
For each try I have kernel config file and dmesg output and they are very
much text, so I think it isn't a good thig send all to u, tell me in
which u are interested and I'll send them.

If u think I can make a more usefull test, tell me about it.

Thank you again,
Daniele.

* Re: PDC20276 Linux driver
@ 2002-11-12 17:28               ` ricci
From: ricci @ 2002-11-12 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Geoffrey Lee wrote:

> FWIW, we seem to have a not-unsimilar problem.
>
> Board is a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP which has an on-board Promise 20276.
> Processes get stuck in D after a couple of days,
Sorry for my english, what does couple means? :)

> and kernel log shows
> an invalid NULL deference in find_inode() in fs/inode.c, when it does
>
> inode->i_ino
>
> dereference.
>
> It does not check for whether inode is NULL or not.
>
> I realize that appears to be valid, because it appears to me that inode
> should never be NULL when it is retrieved from list_entry().

Do u say this because u read list_entry() code, or why?

> I have the ksymoops oops file available, I would be more than happy to
> post that up if anyone wants to take a look.

I would like to help you :) but I have not idea how can I do :(
I would like to debug the kernel but I don't know how to do, can u tell me
a good documentation can I read? Please, please, please.

* Re: PDC20276 Linux driver
@ 2002-11-12 16:53             ` Geoffrey Lee
From: Geoffrey Lee @ 2002-11-12 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 04:53:20PM +0100, ricci@trinityteam.it wrote:

> On 12 Nov 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 15:43, ricci@trinityteam.it wrote:
> > > During Slackware installation (whith kernel compiled by myself), after
> > > about half a gigabyte written in the disk/disks all process
> > > reading/writeing from/to the disks stop running, I cannot kill them, ps
> > > show me them with the 'D' flag, I cannot umount the disk/disks.
> >
> > What drives, exactly what messages are logged (dmesg) ?
> >

> About what message are u speaking about? Messages logged during boot, I
> can send u tomorrow (the computer is not here). After the hang no messages
> are logged.

FWIW, we seem to have a not-unsimilar problem.

Board is a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP which has an on-board Promise 20276.

For me:

Processes get stuck in D after a couple of days, and kernel log shows
an invalid NULL deference in find_inode() in fs/inode.c, when it does

inode->i_ino

dereference.

It does not check for whether inode is NULL or not.

I realize that appears to be valid, because it appears to me that inode
should never be NULL when it is retrieved from list_entry().

I have the ksymoops oops file available, I would be more than happy to
post that up if anyone wants to take a look.

	-- G.

--
char *p = "\xeb\x1f\x5e\x89\x76\x08\x31\xc0\x88\x46\x07\x89\x46\x0c\xb0\x0b"
  "\x89\xf3\x8d\x4e\x08\x8d\x56\x0c\xcd\x80\x31\xdb\x89\xd8\x40\xcd"

* Re: PDC20276 Linux driver
@ 2002-11-12 16:06         ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2002-11-12 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-11-12 15:55     ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2002-11-12 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 15:23, ricci@trinityteam.it wrote:

> On 12 Nov 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 14:52, Ricci Daniele wrote:
> > > I have a Gigabyte 7DPXDW-P, a dual Athlon motherboard whit a FastTrak
> > > controller onboard and I found some difficulties installing the driver.
> >
> > Which driver are you using and which kernel ?
> >

> I tryed pdc202xx of 2.4.19 with and without ataraid and pdc202x_new (is it
> correct?) of 2.5.46.

That is the correct driver yes. What problems are you seeing ?

* Re: PDC20276 Linux driver
@ 2002-11-12 15:53           ` ricci
From: ricci @ 2002-11-12 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-11-12 15:43       ` ricci
From: ricci @ 2002-11-12 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-11-12 15:33 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2002-11-12 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-11-12 15:23   ` ricci
From: ricci @ 2002-11-12 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 Nov 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 14:52, Ricci Daniele wrote:
> > I have a Gigabyte 7DPXDW-P, a dual Athlon motherboard whit a FastTrak
> > controller onboard and I found some difficulties installing the driver.
>
> Which driver are you using and which kernel ?

I tryed pdc202xx of 2.4.19 with and without ataraid and pdc202x_new (is it
correct?) of 2.5.46.

Thank you.

* PDC20276 Linux driver
@ 2002-11-12 14:52 Ricci Daniele
From: Ricci Daniele @ 2002-11-12 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,

I have a Gigabyte 7DPXDW-P, a dual Athlon motherboard whit a FastTrak
controller onboard and I found some difficulties installing the driver.
Kernel deviceses initialization recognise my PDC20276 controller and find
the disks connected (/dev/hde and /dev/hdg) and the array I made with them
(/dev/ataraid/d0 RAID1). I tryed to write in /dev/ataraid/d0 but after about
half a gigabyte written, the system stops to write and the process(es) writing
appare(s) in the outputo of ps with the flag D (IO waiting). After a lot of
tryes I tryed to write in /dev/hde and /dev/hdg at different times, but the
same thing happens.
Is the problem in the FastTrak driver, in the PDC20276 driver, or in my
hardware?
Is there a known bug?
Do somebody has the same mothrboard and can use PDC20276? If yes, can u tell
me how to do?

How can I do to debug degug the ide driver or the PDC driver? Or What
documentation have I to read?

Thank you for your time,
Daniele.