* Re: [Bf-committers] [RFC] Re: Blender profiling-1 O16.2int
@ 2003-08-26  2:46 ` John K. Walton
From: John K. Walton @ 2003-08-26  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bf-committers; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Kester Maddock wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 11:36:42PM +1000, Con Kolivas wrote:
> > Now normally, blender should just sleep and wait till X comes
> > alive again before it does anything. However here it shows clearly that
> > it is spinning madly looking for something from X, and poor X can't do
> > anything. This is the busy on wait I've described.
>
> > Second, any applications that exhibit this should be fixed since it is a bug.
>
> Say if blender is polling the mouse in the view rotate loop?  (If so, you
> should be able to just hold down the middle mouse to starve, without moving
> the mouse.)

yes i've mentioned this in the past. holding the middle mouse or right
mouse button _without_doing_anything_ eats up cpu time. it is clearly
a waste of cpu time. nobody responded.

@ 2003-08-26  2:54 Kester Maddock
From: Kester Maddock @ 2003-08-26  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: bf-committers

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 11:36:42PM +1000, Con Kolivas wrote:
> Now normally, blender should just sleep and wait till X comes
> alive again before it does anything. However here it shows clearly that
> it is spinning madly looking for something from X, and poor X can't do
> anything. This is the busy on wait I've described.

> Second, any applications that exhibit this should be fixed since it is a bug.

Say if blender is polling the mouse in the view rotate loop?  (If so, you
should be able to just hold down the middle mouse to starve, without moving
the mouse.)

Is this really a bug in the application?  Blender is interactive while rotating
the view.  More CPU means more frames per second which gives the user a
better experience.  The CPU usage will drop down when the user releases the
middle mouse button.

(OK, in this specific case blender could update the screen on mouse move
events, but what about the general case eg a 3d game, where the screen
is updated by eg monster ai?)

And how do you fix it?  Would sleep(0) in these loops do, or do you need to
select(...) on X?

CC me please on replys.

Thanks,

Kester Maddock.
^ sends occaisional patches to blender.

* Re: [RFC] Re: Blender profiling-1 O16.2int
@ 2003-08-26  5:03 ` Con Kolivas
From: Con Kolivas @ 2003-08-26  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kester Maddock, linux-kernel; +Cc: bf-committers

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:54, Kester Maddock wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 11:36:42PM +1000, Con Kolivas wrote:
> > Now normally, blender should just sleep and wait till X comes
> > alive again before it does anything. However here it shows clearly that
> > it is spinning madly looking for something from X, and poor X can't do
> > anything. This is the busy on wait I've described.
> >
> > Second, any applications that exhibit this should be fixed since it is a
> > bug.
>
> Say if blender is polling the mouse in the view rotate loop?  (If so, you
> should be able to just hold down the middle mouse to starve, without moving
> the mouse.)
>
> Is this really a bug in the application?  Blender is interactive while
> rotating the view.  More CPU means more frames per second which gives the
> user a better experience.  The CPU usage will drop down when the user
> releases the middle mouse button.
>
> (OK, in this specific case blender could update the screen on mouse move
> events, but what about the general case eg a 3d game, where the screen
> is updated by eg monster ai?)
>
> And how do you fix it?  Would sleep(0) in these loops do, or do you need to
> select(...) on X?
>
> CC me please on replys.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kester Maddock.
> ^ sends occaisional patches to blender.

Thanks for you attention. Yes this is a scheduler issue that makes it prone to
the effect of priority inversion (heck even the mars rover module suffered
it), brought out by the quirk in the coding. I wouldn't even know where to
begin looking at the source of blender but the culprits we've tracked down so
far that cause this use select with a very short timeout (15ms in one case).
Basically it repeatedly times out, and X never gets adequate scheduling time
to respond because the applications themselves are the ones preempting X.

Con