* Re: 2.4.0-prerelease, AX25 problems
@ 2001-01-01 22:28 f5ibh
From: f5ibh @ 2001-01-01 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grobh; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi Hans,

You wrote :
> Is the "previous test version" you talk about 2.4.0-test13-pre7?  There
> weren't any changes since then that could explain this, except maybe:
Yes, I mean test13-pre[12134567] and other older versions too.
I've already had the problem some time ago with an older 2.4.0-testxx kernel.
I don't think it is directly related to the ax25 stuff but maybe (?) a timer
modified elsewhere ?

> Gnu C                  2.95.2
Possible too. These compilers problems (which one for which kernel) are a bit
boring...  Anyway, I've downloaded the correct version of the compiler and
retried the operation.

[root@debian-f5ibh] ~ # gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnu/egcs-2.91.66/specs
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.1.2 release)

The result is the same than with the other compiler.

-----
Best wishes for 2001 for you and your family

		Jean-Luc
-

* Re: 2.4.0-prerelease, AX25 problems
@ 2001-01-01 22:45 ` Hans Grobler
From: Hans Grobler @ 2001-01-01 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: f5ibh; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi Jean-Luc,

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, f5ibh wrote:
> You wrote :
> > Is the "previous test version" you talk about 2.4.0-test13-pre7?  There
> > weren't any changes since then that could explain this, except maybe:
> Yes, I mean test13-pre[12134567] and other older versions too.
> I've already had the problem some time ago with an older 2.4.0-testxx kernel.
> I don't think it is directly related to the ax25 stuff but maybe (?) a timer
> modified elsewhere ?

Ok, so the problem lies deeper. Could you take a guess at the version that
worked (say 2.2.17?) and the first one that stopped working (say 2.4.0-test1?)...
Once we have a rough range, I'll see if I can find anything.

Also: I assume you have PROC_FS compiled. What does /proc/net/z8530drv
contain before and after the failed packet TX attempt?

And: Can you receive any packets?

-- Hans

-

* Re: 2.4.0-prerelease, AX25 problems
@ 2001-01-01 15:32 ` Hans Grobler
From: Hans Grobler @ 2001-01-01 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: f5ibh; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, f5ibh wrote:
> I've just compiled and tested 2.4.0-prerelease. My AX25 (hamradio) system does
> not work with this new release. There is a timing problem. When a fram is sent
> on the air, the frame is VERY long (switched off by the watchdog of my drsi
> card) and contains no data. On this point of vue, the previous test version was
> right.

Is the "previous test version" you talk about 2.4.0-test13-pre7?  There
weren't any changes since then that could explain this, except maybe:

> Gnu C                  2.95.2

The minimum required gcc for 2.4 is now 2.91.66. However, AFAIK 2.95.5 was
considered suspect at one point.

-- Hans

-

* 2.4.0-prerelease, AX25 problems
@ 2001-01-01 15:09 f5ibh
From: f5ibh @ 2001-01-01 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi and Happy New Year,

I've just compiled and tested 2.4.0-prerelease. My AX25 (hamradio) system does
not work with this new release. There is a timing problem. When a fram is sent
on the air, the frame is VERY long (switched off by the watchdog of my drsi
card) and contains no data. On this point of vue, the previous test version was
right.

My system :
-----------

K6-2 500 / 128Mb
Kernel modules         2.3.24
Gnu C                  2.95.2
Binutils               2.9.5.0.41
Linux C Library        2.1.3
Dynamic linker         ldd: version 1.9.11
Procps                 2.0.6
Mount                  2.10o
Net-tools              2.05
Console-tools          0.2.3
Sh-utils               2.0
Modules Loaded         ppp slhc af_packet scc ax25 parport_probe parport_pc lp
parport mousedev usb-ohci hid input autofs lockd sunrpc usbcore serial unix

Ax25 related config :
---------------------
#
# Amateur Radio support