* cpu id?
@ 2001-07-16 21:31 Tim R. Young
From: Tim R. Young @ 2001-07-16 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I need a user space tool to read out cpu id.
Or documnent that specifies the interface in kernel.
Thanks in advance.

- T.

* Re: cpu id?
@ 2001-07-16 21:42 ` Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams
From: Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams @ 2001-07-16 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim R. Young; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Tim R. Young wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need a user space tool to read out cpu id.
> Or documnent that specifies the interface in kernel.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> - T.

cat /proc/cpuinfo

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio@openservices.net>

* Re: cpu id?
@ 2001-07-16 21:51   ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2001-07-16 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams; +Cc: Tim R. Young, linux-kernel

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

> > I need a user space tool to read out cpu id.
> > Or documnent that specifies the interface in kernel.
> > Thanks in advance.
> cat /proc/cpuinfo

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/davej/x86info/

regards

Dave

--
| Dave Jones.        http://www.suse.de/~davej
| SuSE Labs

* Re: cpu id?
@ 2001-07-16 23:30     ` Tim R. Young
From: Tim R. Young @ 2001-07-16 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Jones; +Cc: Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams, Tim R. Young, linux-kernel

Dave,

Thanks for the tool.
Do I need kernel support to read out intel processor serial number?
And how it is reported by x86info?

- T.

Is it possible to use it read out
On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 11:51:01PM +0200, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
>
> > > I need a user space tool to read out cpu id.
> > > Or documnent that specifies the interface in kernel.
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > cat /proc/cpuinfo
>
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/davej/x86info/
>
> regards
>
> Dave
>
> --
> | Dave Jones.        http://www.suse.de/~davej
> | SuSE Labs

* Re: cpu id?
@ 2001-07-17  0:00       ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2001-07-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim R. Young; +Cc: Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams, linux-kernel

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Tim R. Young wrote:

> Thanks for the tool.
> Do I need kernel support to read out intel processor serial number?

By default, the kernel will disable the serial number.
You need to pass the boot time parameter 'serialnumber' to
leave it enabled. You'll also need the cpuid & msr drivers
compiled (into kernel or as loadable modules)

> And how it is reported by x86info?

If it is enabled, it'll get printed out with x86info -a

regards,

Dave.