* RE: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-09-05 14:22 noneuclidean
From: noneuclidean @ 2001-09-05 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have an Iwill KK266 (VIAKT133A chipset, latest BIOS) with an unlocked but not overclocked Athlon 950 (AMD Thunderbird, A4, Model 4). The system DOES suffer the Athlon optimisation problem.

I ran burnK7, burnK7 in linux 2.4.8ac11 (optimised for K6) and WinME for over 3 hours with no problems.

For ?fun? I also tried running 50 mulitiple instances (in total) of a mix of burnK7, burnMMX, burnBX, burnP6 and burnK6 in linux (with different memory settings for burnBX and burnMMX), while accessing floppy, CD-ROM, 2xHDDs, my SBLive card and my Geforce 2 to try and load my voltages... but again completely stable, if a bit... well very... jerky!.

I think the burnK7 program does not test enough K7 specific instruction sets to find the problem.

Jamal Conway
I am not on this list, please CC replies.

* RE: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-09-05 17:37 ` Simen Thoresen
From: Simen Thoresen @ 2001-09-05 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: noneuclidean; +Cc: linux-kernel

Jamal Conway wrote
>I think the burnK7 program does not test enough K7 specific instruction sets to find the problem.

I tend to agree; 30+ minutes on a Epox 8KTA3 motherboard with a processor that fails when running with Athlon-optimized fast_copy_page (now running without that), without a hitch.

-S
--
Simen Thoresen, Beowulf-cleaner and random artist - close and personal.

Er det ikke rart?
The gnu RART-project on http://valinor.dolphinics.no:1080/~simentt/rart

* RE: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-09-05 18:07 ` Dan Hollis
From: Dan Hollis @ 2001-09-05 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: noneuclidean; +Cc: linux-kernel, redelm

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, noneuclidean wrote:
> I have an Iwill KK266 (VIAKT133A chipset, latest BIOS) with an unlocked but not overclocked Athlon 950 (AMD Thunderbird, A4, Model 4). The system DOES suffer the Athlon optimisation problem.
> I ran burnK7, burnK7 in linux 2.4.8ac11 (optimised for K6) and WinME for over 3 hours with no problems.
> For ?fun? I also tried running 50 mulitiple instances (in total) of a mix of burnK7, burnMMX, burnBX, burnP6 and burnK6 in linux (with different memory settings for burnBX and burnMMX), while accessing floppy, CD-ROM, 2xHDDs, my SBLive card and my Geforce 2 to try and load my voltages... but again completely stable, if a bit... well very... jerky!.
> I think the burnK7 program does not test enough K7 specific instruction sets to find the problem.

burnK7 doesnt test enough ram to expose the problem. burnK7 stays entirely
inside cache and doesnt touch main memory, which is where the problem
everyone is having is.

-Dan

--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-09-23 10:04 Jim Blomo
From: Jim Blomo @ 2001-09-23 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Jim Blomo wrote:
> Hi, I am having a similar problem with my new board/chip...
> Motherboard + chipset:
>  ECS K7AMA + Ali Magic 1645 & Magic 1535D
> CPU + multiplier:
>  Athlon Thunderbird 1.33Ghz not overclocked

Since a probable cause was found for the VIA chipset, is there any way for me
to check if my board is having a similar problem?  I have tried using an
older BIOS version, upgrading to 2.4.10-pre14, and even applying the VIA
patch, with no effect on my problem.  When the kernel is compiled with the
Athlon settings, absolutely nothing happens after LILO uncompresses the
image. The keyboard and powerswitch also stop responding and I am forced to
do a hard reboot.  k6, ppro, and i386 settings let Linux run without errors
for days.  Thanks for CCing me the info as I am not subscribed to this list,

Jim

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-09-08 18:01             ` Eric W. Biederman
From: Eric W. Biederman @ 2001-09-08 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox
  Cc: Dan Hollis, Albert D. Cahalan, David Hollister, Jan Niehusmann,
	linux-kernel, rgooch

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> > optimizations, you would consider a falsification of the "marginal
> > hardware" theory?
>
> Not trivially.
>
> The current theory is
> 	VIA chipset + Athlon + [unknown factors]
>
> So seeing it on SiS, AMD or Ali chipsets would be significant

Would it help with the tracking if someone had a board that reliably
crashes before /etc/rc.d/rc finishes running?  And were willing to
help with the investigation?

Eric

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-09-07 17:25   ` Mike Fedyk
From: Mike Fedyk @ 2001-09-07 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 10:39:18AM +0200, Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:
> "Jim Blomo wrote:"
> > Hi, I am having a similar problem with my new board/chip. I am using
> > 2.4.10-pre4, and when I compile with the Athlon/Thunderbird setting, the
> > kernel does absolutely nothing after being uncompressed by LILO. The
> > computer locks up and I must do a hard reboot to get going again. I have had
> > no errors (for about 1.5 days) when using the same kernel compiled as 386
> > and Pentium pro without any other changes. When I used make bzdisk and tried
> > to boot from that, it repeated the following message over and over until I
> > did a soft reset:
> >
> > 1007
> > AX:020C
> > BX:0000
> > CX:0007
> > DX:0000
>
> This has nothing to do with Athlon optimization. This is probably a broken
> floppy disk.
>
> This seem to be from the bootsector code from arch/i386/bootsect.S, it is
> exactly the same for all x86 processors and called before any other code.

That still doesn't discount the report because booting was also tried from
the hard disk.

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-09-07  8:39 ` Andrzej Krzysztofowicz
From: Andrzej Krzysztofowicz @ 2001-09-07  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: blackfoot; +Cc: linux-kernel

"Jim Blomo wrote:"
> Hi, I am having a similar problem with my new board/chip. I am using
> 2.4.10-pre4, and when I compile with the Athlon/Thunderbird setting, the
> kernel does absolutely nothing after being uncompressed by LILO. The
> computer locks up and I must do a hard reboot to get going again. I have had
> no errors (for about 1.5 days) when using the same kernel compiled as 386
> and Pentium pro without any other changes. When I used make bzdisk and tried
> to boot from that, it repeated the following message over and over until I
> did a soft reset:
>
> 1007
> AX:020C
> BX:0000
> CX:0007
> DX:0000

This has nothing to do with Athlon optimization. This is probably a broken
floppy disk.

This seem to be from the bootsector code from arch/i386/bootsect.S, it is
exactly the same for all x86 processors and called before any other code.

  Andrzej M. Krzysztofowicz               ankry@mif.pg.gda.pl
  phone (48)(58) 347 14 61
Faculty of Applied Phys. & Math.,   Technical University of Gdansk

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-09-07  8:00 ` Dan Hollis
From: Dan Hollis @ 2001-09-07  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Blomo; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Jim Blomo wrote:
> Motherboard + chipset:
>  ECS K7AMA + Ali Magic 1645 & Magic 1535D

There goes the VIA-only theory out the window

-Dan

--

@ 2001-09-07  7:33 Jim Blomo
From: Jim Blomo @ 2001-09-07  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi, I am having a similar problem with my new board/chip. I am using
2.4.10-pre4, and when I compile with the Athlon/Thunderbird setting, the
kernel does absolutely nothing after being uncompressed by LILO. The
computer locks up and I must do a hard reboot to get going again. I have had
no errors (for about 1.5 days) when using the same kernel compiled as 386
and Pentium pro without any other changes. When I used make bzdisk and tried
to boot from that, it repeated the following message over and over until I
did a soft reset:

1007
AX:020C
BX:0000
CX:0007
DX:0000

When booting with the same disk with Athlon not selected as the chip, I had
no errors. Windows 200 has been running with no visible errors for several
days on the same hardware. Memory checks have turned up no errors with my
hardware. Here's some more specific info:

Motherboard + chipset:
 ECS K7AMA + Ali Magic 1645 & Magic 1535D
(http://www.ecs.com.tw/products/k7ama.htm)
FSB Speed:
 266
CPU + multiplier:
 Athlon Thunderbird 1.33Ghz not overclocked
cat /proc/cpuinfo:
 processor	: 0
 vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
 cpu family	: 6
 model		: 4
 model name	: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
 stepping	: 4
 cpu MHz		: 1333.382
 cache size	: 256 KB
 fdiv_bug	: no
 hlt_bug		: no
 f00f_bug	: no
 coma_bug	: no
 fpu		: yes
 fpu_exception	: yes
 cpuid level	: 1
 wp		: yes
 flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36
mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
 bogomips	: 2660.76
RAM type + speed:
 2 stick of 256MB DDR PC2100 (DDR CAS Select: 2.5/3)
Wattage:
 300 watt power supply

I've seen postings on this subject on the web archives, so is it general
opinion that this is a known issue with Athlons? Should I try to return the
chip? I would be happy with a work around, so what other CPU option gives
the best performance?

I hope I have provided enough information (this is my first post to this
list). Please CC me any replies as I am not subscribed to the list. Thanks
for any information!

Jim

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-09-05 18:37 Eric Olson
From: Eric Olson @ 2001-09-05 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: kostas

>Could you post Roberts email address? The one at the web page
>(redelm@ev1.net) doesn't seem to resolve. I would like to ask him
the
>source of the optimised burnK7
>
>thanks,
>
>-Kostas

I've been using the email address on the net, I think the link was
down for most of the night until minutes ago.

Robert has a K7 version of burnMMX which is tentatively being called
burnMMX2.  I think he would prefer to be directly in touch with people
testing it.  Thus, it is not posted on the website but available only
through email.

--Eric

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-09-05 15:56 ` David Hollister
From: David Hollister @ 2001-09-05 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Olson; +Cc: linux-kernel

Eric Olson wrote:
> Robert Redelmeier told me he has written a version of his burnMMX which
> uses K7 MMX 3DNow streaming cache bypass load/store instruction sequences
> similar to what is used in linux/arch/i386/lib/mmx.c
>
> It would be particularly interesting if someone with a problematic KT133A
> based motherboard would test it and report back.

Ran both burnK7 and burnMMX for 10+ minutes with no problems.  FWIW, burnMMX
didn't do much to my system temp, but burnK7 raised it by a good 8-9 degrees.

--
David Hollister
Driversoft Engineering:  http://devicedrivers.com

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-09-05  9:59 ` Matthew S . Hallacy
From: Matthew S . Hallacy @ 2001-09-05  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 10:21:58PM -0700, Eric Olson wrote:

> Robert Redelmeier told me he has written a version of his burnMMX which
> uses K7 MMX 3DNow streaming cache bypass load/store instruction sequences
> similar to what is used in linux/arch/i386/lib/mmx.c

I'm happy to report that after leaving these (burnK7, and burnMMX) running for about
30 minutes there were no problems, a slight increase in CPU/system temperature, but
within safe limits, along with a nice load average.. FYI:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 4
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 1327.702
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 2647.65

note this is the "c" core chip,
256M DDR RAM,
PC Chips M830LR motherboard w/ the SiS 735 Chipset,
(note, my single-chip chipset requires no fan, unlike the VIA chipsets)

All rather well considering the CPU fan is missing two blades, and only has the little
pink patch of thermal grease.

				Matthew S. Hallacy

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-09-05  5:21 Eric Olson
From: Eric Olson @ 2001-09-05  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Robert Redelmeier told me he has written a version of his burnMMX which
uses K7 MMX 3DNow streaming cache bypass load/store instruction sequences
similar to what is used in linux/arch/i386/lib/mmx.c

He asked me to publicise that anyone who wanted to test it could contact
him though email.  His email address is available from the burnCPU website
	http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/
The program is 168 lines of assembler and compiles for Windows or Linux.
It runs until it detects an error.

It would be particularly interesting if someone with a problematic KT133A
based motherboard would test it and report back.

All the best, -Eric

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-09-04 10:19   ` Dan Hollis
From: Dan Hollis @ 2001-09-04 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ghozlane Toumi; +Cc: linux-kernel, Eric Olson

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Ghozlane Toumi wrote:
> "Eric Olson" said not long ago:
> > Could Robert Redelmeier's burnMMX at
> > http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/
> > be modified for the Athlon to detect these problems?
> > This would allow
> > testing a system in a store before purchase,
> memtest86 could be extended for that
> as it's a stand alone mem tester, bootable from a floppy ...
> www.memtest86.com

Shouldnt that be "memtest86 *should* be extended for that".

It would be nice to have a bootable-floppy-testcase for
athlon-memory-optimization-failures.

-Dan

--

@ 2001-09-04  9:35 ` Matthew S . Hallacy
From: Matthew S . Hallacy @ 2001-09-04  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 01:13:51AM -0700, Eric Olson wrote:
> I have found these Athlon problems are very interesting.
>
> Is there a usermode memory testing program which uses the K7 MMX 3DNow
> streaming cache bypass load/store instruction sequences that appear in
> linux/arch/i386/lib/mmx.c ?
>
> Could Robert Redelmeier's burnMMX at
> 	http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/
> be modified for the Athlon to detect these problems?

Howdy, I've got a 1.3Ghz (non overclocked) running on the SiS 735 chipset
(yes, the first good chipset from SiS) with no problems under 2.4.9 with
athlon optimizations, the system has DDR ram, and is used a lot for video
capture/compression, the avifile library detects (and supposedly uses) the
optimizations, and I've had no problems whatsoever with the system. Perhaps
this is another VIA problem.

> It would be usefull to have a Microsoft Windows program that could
> detect a faulty system without having to load Linux.  This would allow
> testing a system in a store before purchase, and quick testing of a
> new system shipped with Windows to determine whether it needs to be
> returned before reformatting the harddisk and installing Linux.
>
> The reports I've know are for KT133 motherboards.  Have problems been
> reported with the KT266 DDR-SDRAM chipsets as well?

As I write this a friend is repairing a lost partition on his FIC AZ11E
motherboard (KT133 chipset), apparently due to a BIOS bug..

@ 2001-09-03 15:55 ` Ghozlane Toumi
From: Ghozlane Toumi @ 2001-09-03 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, Eric Olson

"Eric Olson" said not long ago:

> Could Robert Redelmeier's burnMMX at
> http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/
> be modified for the Athlon to detect these problems?
>
> This would allow
> testing a system in a store before purchase,

memtest86 could be extended for that
as it's a stand alone mem tester, bootable from a floppy ...

www.memtest86.com

ghoz

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-09-03  8:13 Eric Olson
From: Eric Olson @ 2001-09-03  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

@ 2001-09-03  8:03       ` Jim Roland
From: Jim Roland @ 2001-09-03  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Hollister; +Cc: Jan Niehusmann, linux-kernel

Hmm...missed that patch, but I'm not on 2.4.9 yet.  Can someone email that
to me directly or repost to the list?

From: David Hollister @ 2001-09-01 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: Jim Roland, Jan Niehusmann, linux-kernel

Alan Cox wrote:
>>I'm on 2.4.9.  No overclocking.  I applied the patch that somebody (sorry,
>>forgot who) posted yesterday for arch/i386/lib/mmx.c and rebuilt the kernel with
>>Athlon optimization.  It now works.
>>

> Well not really. The patch posted turns off athlon optimisation even though
> you selected it

Well, that's what I thought, too, since that was the only file in the kernel
source where CONFIG_MK7 was defined.  Somebody pointed out to me, though, that
there are other defines that are turned on if you use Athlon settings, like
(from arch/i386/config.in):

CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC
CONFIG_X86_USE_3DNOW
CONFIG_X86_PGE

Although, looking at arch/i386/config.in again right now, I see none of these
are Athlon specific.  That's what I get for trusting somebody else instead of
looking into it myself.

Thanks.
--

@ 2001-09-01 15:50       ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-09-01 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Hollister; +Cc: Jim Roland, Jan Niehusmann, linux-kernel

@ 2001-09-01 14:39     ` David Hollister
From: David Hollister @ 2001-09-01 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Roland; +Cc: Jan Niehusmann, linux-kernel

@ 2001-09-01 12:04     ` Joerg Plate
From: Joerg Plate @ 2001-09-01 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> Which kernel are you gentlemen using?
No problems with: 2.4.5, 2.4.5ac24, 2.4.6, 2.4.7, 2.4.8ac4, 2.4.8ac7, 2.4.9ac5

--
"I'm working on it."  <http://www.psyche.kn-bremen.de/>

1998: U.S.Congress abolished Free Speech by replacing First Amendment with DMCA.

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-09-01 10:06   ` Jim Roland
From: Jim Roland @ 2001-09-01 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Hollister, Jan Niehusmann; +Cc: linux-kernel

From: Mike Fedyk @ 2001-08-31 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 01:37:16PM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > So what happens when someone is able to duplicate the problem on say AMD
> > > 760MP chipset with registered ECC PC2100 ram and 450W power supply?
> > > Not to say it has happened yet (I havent got my dual Tyan Tiger MP yet :-)
> > > but where would the finger start pointing then?
> > That would make it a lot more complex. There were a few cases much earlier
> > on with AMD chipset lockups but those have been cured (and were an Athlon
> > processor errata where a prefetch of an uncacheable line made a very very
> > nasty mess).
>
> Can you define a hardware configuration that if it fails under athlon
> optimizations, you would consider a falsification of the "marginal
> hardware" theory?
>
> I want a hardware config that will get everyones attention if it fails.
>

>From other posts, that would be boards based on AMD chipsets, and possibly
SIS or ALI.

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-08-31 20:53           ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-08-31 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Hollis
  Cc: Alan Cox, Albert D. Cahalan, David Hollister, Jan Niehusmann,
	linux-kernel, rgooch

@ 2001-08-31 20:37         ` Dan Hollis
From: Dan Hollis @ 2001-08-31 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox
  Cc: Albert D. Cahalan, David Hollister, Jan Niehusmann, linux-kernel, rgooch

@ 2001-08-31 19:43       ` Tim Moore
From: Tim Moore @ 2001-08-31 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bobby D. Bryant; +Cc: linux-kernel

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> Tim Moore wrote:
>
> > > It seems to work somewhat better for some if you set your BIOS to the
> > > conservative settings, but that didn't help me.  I have an Epox 8KTA3+ (Via
> > > KT133A) w/ a 1.4GHz Athlon and 512MB memory.  If you can't get it to work that
> > > way, just stick with the K6 setting.  The point is, your hardware is likely fine
> > > (fine being relative, I suppose)
> > > If there are other tricks, I'm all ears.
> >
> > The i686 setting works perfectly.
>
> For some people.  I have an 8KTA3+ that will boot as an i686, but starts oopsing its
> shorts off after it has been up a while.
>
> I posted some of the oopsen a few months ago, and to my feeble mind they all looked
> memory related.  (Several were "bug in slab.c" kind of thing, IIRC.

I hadn't heard a case of 686 not working given the compatability between
Athlon/PIII.  To be clear, CONFIG_M686=y has worked perfectly with
850MHz Athlon + VT82C686.

rgds,
tim.

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-08-31 19:17     ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2001-08-31 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Tim Moore wrote:

> > It seems to work somewhat better for some if you set your BIOS to the
> > conservative settings, but that didn't help me.  I have an Epox 8KTA3+ (Via
> > KT133A) w/ a 1.4GHz Athlon and 512MB memory.  If you can't get it to work that
> > way, just stick with the K6 setting.  The point is, your hardware is likely fine
> > (fine being relative, I suppose)
> > If there are other tricks, I'm all ears.
>
> The i686 setting works perfectly.

For some people.  I have an 8KTA3+ that will boot as an i686, but starts oopsing its
shorts off after it has been up a while.

I posted some of the oopsen a few months ago, and to my feeble mind they all looked
memory related.  (Several were "bug in slab.c" kind of thing, IIRC.)

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-08-31 18:18   ` Tim Moore
From: Tim Moore @ 2001-08-31 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Hollister; +Cc: Jan Niehusmann, linux-kernel

@ 2001-08-31 14:17           ` David Hollister
From: David Hollister @ 2001-08-31 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arjanv; +Cc: Chris Abbey, linux-kernel

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> For the upcomming Red Hat Linux release an athlon kernel
> will be included, and due to the people who have this
> problem, I added a kernel commandline option to disable
> the optimized page_copy() and clear_page() functions.
> The use of this option makes the machines, of the people
> who had this problem, happy again.
>
> Now I also wrote the 2 functions in question, and I am
> very convinced that they are correct. They also work on
> the vast majority of motherboards, and most of the failure
> cases are cheaper motherboards (or cheap PSU's).

Hey look, folks.  I didn't point a finger and try to blame anybody or anything.
  I'm as much a Linux advocate as the next guy.  Granted, I have not tried every
trick under the sun to get it to work.  I don't really care that much.  I can
live with my memory accesses taking a few microseconds longer.  My point, and my
only point, to all this was just to add data.  If there's something relatively
easy I can try, I will.  Otherwise, life goes on.
--

@ 2001-08-31 14:06         ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-08-31 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul G. Allen; +Cc: linux-kernel

> My Dual Athlon (1.4GHz) works just fine (with the exception of the ATA 100 -
> I have to disable DMA).

There is a known errata with the dual athlon chipset where prefetching and
IDE DMA together hang the box. You might want to scan the chip docs/errata
and try turning that bit off and see if it helps. If so its one for pci
quirks

@ 2001-08-31 14:00       ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-08-31 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Hollis
  Cc: Albert D. Cahalan, David Hollister, Jan Niehusmann, linux-kernel, rgooch

> So what happens when someone is able to duplicate the problem on say AMD
> 760MP chipset with registered ECC PC2100 ram and 450W power supply?
>
> Not to say it has happened yet (I havent got my dual Tyan Tiger MP yet :-)
> but where would the finger start pointing then?

That would make it a lot more complex. There were a few cases much earlier
on with AMD chipset lockups but those have been cured (and were an Athlon
processor errata where a prefetch of an uncacheable line made a very very
nasty mess).

Alan

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
       [not found] ` <fa.j3okgqv.lmova7@ifi.uio.no>
@ 2001-08-31 12:11   ` Dan Maas
From: Dan Maas @ 2001-08-31 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I now have three 1.2-1.4Ghz machines based on the Biostar M7MIA motherboard,
and none of them have had trouble with the Athlon optimizations... I was
very careful to select a motherboard based on the AMD760 northbridge, and to
avoid the non-AMD alternatives.

Dan

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-08-31  9:36           ` Nicholas Knight
From: Nicholas Knight @ 2001-08-31  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arjan van de Ven, Chris Abbey, linux-kernel

On Friday 31 August 2001 01:27 am, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

<snip>

> Now I also wrote the 2 functions in question, and I am
> very convinced that they are correct. They also work on
> the vast majority of motherboards, and most of the failure
> cases are cheaper motherboards (or cheap PSU's).

Want cheap hardware?
Slot-A Athlon 800Mhz non-tbird
Soyo K7VIA motherboard, VIA KX133 chipset
Generic 300W power supply bought from mwave

and, for the other hardware:

1 DVD-ROM drive
1 Plextor PlexWriter CD-RW drive
1 IBM 75GXP 7200RPM 45GB ATA/100 drive
1 Promise ATA/100 HDD controller
1 350MB Western Digital Caviar drive, but this powers down completely
when not in use
2 Generic 80mm case fans
1 low-end HSF unit with three small fans
1 GeForce2MX
1 stick of generic 256MB PC133 SDRAM that refuses to run at 133Mhz
1 ISA NIC
1 PCI NIC
1 floppy drive, sony I think, otherwise generic

I have never experienced problems with Athlon optimizations, and I
*always* compile with them enabled.

Prehaps the key lies in Thunderbird vs Non-Thunderbird? When did these
problems start showing up, and at what clock speeds? What motherboards?
What chipsets?

@ 2001-08-31  9:21       ` Phillip Susi
From: Phillip Susi @ 2001-08-31  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Hollis
  Cc: David Hollister, Jan Niehusmann, linux-kernel, rgooch, Albert D. Cahalan

I have just such a system and thought I'd note that the stock smp kernels
that redhat 7.1 and slackware 8.0 installed would lock up intermitently.  I
couldn't get through a build of the kernel.  I ended up booting into the UP
kernel, got and built the 2.4.9 kernel, and have not had any trouble since.
For the processor type, I selected athlon, that enables the optimizations you
are talking about right?

System specs: dual Athlon MP 1.2 Ghz on Tyan's mobo with the dual ethernet
and u160 scsi, 512 megs corsair cas 2.5 registered pc2100 ddr sdram, and
seagate's second generation 15,000 rpm cheetah, using the NMB 460 watt power
supply that tyan recomended.

@ 2001-08-31  8:27         ` Arjan van de Ven
From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2001-08-31  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Abbey, linux-kernel

Chris Abbey wrote:

> Today, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > but where would the finger start pointing then?
>
> hmm... *compiler optimizations* for a specific family cause
> problems on that family, but *compiler optimizations* for
> a lesser family don't... I'll admit my kernel h4x0|^ 5k1!!s
> aren't on par with most on this list, but has anyone thought
> to take a look at the *compiler optimizations* that are
> generated?

It's not the compiler options. (or at least not alone).
I have proof for this, let me explain:

For the upcomming Red Hat Linux release an athlon kernel
will be included, and due to the people who have this
problem, I added a kernel commandline option to disable
the optimized page_copy() and clear_page() functions.
The use of this option makes the machines, of the people
who had this problem, happy again.

Now I also wrote the 2 functions in question, and I am
very convinced that they are correct. They also work on
the vast majority of motherboards, and most of the failure
cases are cheaper motherboards (or cheap PSU's).

The net effect of using the optimized functions is that
the memory bandwidth the CPU uses effecively doubles during
COW and page_clear() operations. This puts additional load
on the motherboard it seems.... I don't know if it's the
voltage regulators or borderline ram chips that give up,
but there are people who bought 25 identical machines (for
a classroom) and only 1 failed, reproducable.

Oh and btw, having these functions is the main reason for
enabling the "Athlon" CPU type; that's basically the real
difference between a PII and Athlon compiled kernel.

Greetings,
    Arjan van de Ven

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-08-31  8:08   ` Joerg Plate
From: Joerg Plate @ 2001-08-31  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> It seems to work somewhat better for some if you set your BIOS to the
> conservative settings, but that didn't help me. I have an Epox 8KTA3+
> (Via KT133A) w/ a 1.4GHz Athlon and 512MB memory.

I'm using an Epox 8KT3+ (VIA KT133A) motherboard, too. The processor is a
1.333GHz Athlon and I never had problems with the optimisation (CONFIG_MK7=y).

--

@ 2001-08-31  6:15         ` Steven Spence
From: Steven Spence @ 2001-08-31  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul G. Allen; +Cc: linux-kernel

Paul G. Allen wrote:

>Dan Hollis wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
>>
>>>Don't go blaming Linux when power supply upgrades sometimes
>>>make this problem go away. You could also try one of the
>>>recent SiS or ALi chipsets.
>>>I just saw a reference (maybe www.tomshardware.com) to AMD's new
>>>chips having trouble on VIA boards -- I'd guess that the Palimino
>>>core can push the motherboard too hard without fancy Athlon code.
>>>
>>So what happens when someone is able to duplicate the problem on say AMD
>>760MP chipset with registered ECC PC2100 ram and 450W power supply?
>>
>>Not to say it has happened yet (I havent got my dual Tyan Tiger MP yet :-)
>>but where would the finger start pointing then?
>>

>My Dual Athlon (1.4GHz) works just fine (with the exception of the ATA 100 - I have to disable DMA).
>
>It's been running 24/7 for weeks at 100% CPU usage (on both CPUs).
>
>My A7V133 is another story (also a 1.4GHz). It used to work with RH 7.1, now I can't even get the OS to install.
>
>PGA

My dual 1.2 Athlon MPs  work great as well.  I have my DMA on without
any troubles though.  Actually I have never had
a problem with Athlons and Linux.  I have a 650MHz and a 1GHz as well
and they are rock solid.  I would look at your
check your hardware before blaming the software.  I have compiled kernel
after kernel, made a couple graphic posters of
the kernel, and run many simulations on it without incident.

I did however have one of those mammoth 460W power supplies fail on me
though.  As long as you don't use the AGP Pro
slot on the board you should have more then enough power from it.  I
have 4 hard drives on it, two cdroms working, and
about 8 fans without any problems.

Steve

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-08-31  6:02       ` Paul G. Allen
From: Paul G. Allen @ 2001-08-31  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> > Don't go blaming Linux when power supply upgrades sometimes
> > make this problem go away. You could also try one of the
> > recent SiS or ALi chipsets.
> > I just saw a reference (maybe www.tomshardware.com) to AMD's new
> > chips having trouble on VIA boards -- I'd guess that the Palimino
> > core can push the motherboard too hard without fancy Athlon code.
>
> So what happens when someone is able to duplicate the problem on say AMD
> 760MP chipset with registered ECC PC2100 ram and 450W power supply?
>
> Not to say it has happened yet (I havent got my dual Tyan Tiger MP yet :-)
> but where would the finger start pointing then?

My Dual Athlon (1.4GHz) works just fine (with the exception of the ATA 100 - I have to disable DMA).

It's been running 24/7 for weeks at 100% CPU usage (on both CPUs).

My A7V133 is another story (also a 1.4GHz). It used to work with RH 7.1, now I can't even get the OS to install.

PGA

--
Paul G. Allen
UNIX Admin II/Programmer
Akamai Technologies, Inc.
www.akamai.com
Work: (858)909-3630
Cell: (858)395-5043

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-08-31  5:05       ` Chris Abbey
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chris Abbey @ 2001-08-31  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Today, Dan Hollis wrote:
> but where would the finger start pointing then?

hmm... *compiler optimizations* for a specific family cause
problems on that family, but *compiler optimizations* for
a lesser family don't... I'll admit my kernel h4x0|^ 5k1!!s
aren't on par with most on this list, but has anyone thought
to take a look at the *compiler optimizations* that are
generated? It sure wouldn't be a first if the combination
of agressive optimizations and complex kernel code exposed
a subtle and/or complex bug in one, the other, or both...
and different levels of compiler might explain why some
have the problems, and others don't.

Having spent way too many hours this week looking at highly
optimized 64bit ppc assembly I can only say that <drawl
type=hick> them thar compiler hackors is devious lil
twerps when yas ask fer all the bells n wistles. </drawl>

This of course is all assuming that one or more folks do
recreate it on obviously good hardware. ;)

--
now the forces of openness have a powerful and
  unexpected new ally - http://ibm.com/linux

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-08-31  4:20     ` Dan Hollis
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Dan Hollis @ 2001-08-31  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albert D. Cahalan; +Cc: David Hollister, Jan Niehusmann, linux-kernel, rgooch

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> Don't go blaming Linux when power supply upgrades sometimes
> make this problem go away. You could also try one of the
> recent SiS or ALi chipsets.
> I just saw a reference (maybe www.tomshardware.com) to AMD's new
> chips having trouble on VIA boards -- I'd guess that the Palimino
> core can push the motherboard too hard without fancy Athlon code.

So what happens when someone is able to duplicate the problem on say AMD
760MP chipset with registered ECC PC2100 ram and 450W power supply?

Not to say it has happened yet (I havent got my dual Tyan Tiger MP yet :-)
but where would the finger start pointing then?

-Dan

--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-08-31  3:50   ` Richard Gooch
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Gooch @ 2001-08-31  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albert D. Cahalan; +Cc: David Hollister, Jan Niehusmann, linux-kernel

Albert D. Cahalan writes:
> Richard, the FAQ could use an entry about this and the other VIA
> problem.

How about sending me a patch to the HTML file? That's less work for me
:-)

				Regards,

					Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current:   rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-08-31  3:34   ` Albert D. Cahalan
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Albert D. Cahalan @ 2001-08-31  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Hollister; +Cc: Jan Niehusmann, linux-kernel, rgooch

David Hollister writes:
> Jan Niehusmann wrote:

>> I have a computer with a duron 600 which doesn't like current athlon
>> optimised kernels: It runs fairly well with an old 2.4.0-test7 kernel
>> Is it likely to be a broken CPU?
>> The board is an A7V with the infamous via chipset, but I don't think
>> this looks like the typical via problems, does it?
> point is, your hardware is likely fine (fine being relative, I
> suppose) If there are other tricks, I'm all ears.

There are highly optimized memory copy/clear operations that
run twice as fast on the Athlon, thus demanding more from the
motherboard and power supply. You have a VIA chipset and most
likely have a relatively weak power supply.

Don't go blaming Linux when power supply upgrades sometimes
make this problem go away. You could also try one of the
recent SiS or ALi chipsets.

I just saw a reference (maybe www.tomshardware.com) to AMD's new
chips having trouble on VIA boards -- I'd guess that the Palimino
core can push the motherboard too hard without fancy Athlon code.

* Re: Athlon doesn't like Athlon optimisation?
@ 2001-08-31  3:07 ` David Hollister
                     ` (4 more replies)
From: David Hollister @ 2001-08-31  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Niehusmann; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2001-08-31  2:42 Jan Niehusmann
From: Jan Niehusmann @ 2001-08-31  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have a computer with a duron 600 which doesn't like current athlon
optimised kernels: It runs fairly well with an old 2.4.0-test7 kernel
(but I had some unexplained crashes during the last months),
but crashes after a few minutes after booting 2.4.9-ac3 or 2.4.7.

If I don't build the kernels for athlon, but for i386 only, the
system seems to be stable. (Not tested for more than 20 minutes,
but definitely longer than the athlon optimised kernel was able to run)

Does anybody know these symptoms and has an idea what may be wrong?
Is it likely to be a broken CPU?
The board is an A7V with the infamous via chipset, but I don't think
this looks like the typical via problems, does it?

Jan

--
OpenPGP-signierte bzw. -verschlüsselte Mail erwünscht
EMail-Key: 1024D/F12DA065 (=> Keyserver oder auf Anfrage)