* Re: [BUG?] RAID sub system / tux
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.33.0112131008140.13419-100000@coffee.psychology.mcmaster.ca>
@ 2001-12-13 15:12 ` Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk @ 2001-12-13 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hahn; +Cc: linux-kernel

> there is no problem with single-stream IO load.  period.

I'm aware of that.

> there is also no problem with multi-stream mixed (realistic) IO loads,
> since dbench is widely run.  I'm guessing there's something specific
> to your all-read, many-stream load that noone else has ever tested,
> for obvious reasons.

Well. Someone had to do it. I hope this can be fixed. I really really want
to replace the M$ boxes we use for this today.

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, MCSE, MCNE, CLS, LCA

Computers are like air conditioners.

* Re: [BUG?] RAID sub system / tux
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.33.0112131217410.15231-100000@coffee.psychology.mcmaster.ca>
@ 2001-12-13 17:24 ` Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk @ 2001-12-13 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > > how about without tux?
> > >

> > I don't know how to do an intensive read like that without tux.
> > Perhaps you've got an idea?
>
> why not apache?

I first tried, but it all somehow fucked up.

So I tried again - better this time. Same result as with Tux, just that
the system's idle. All the apache processes goes defunct, and the total
i/o as reported by vmstat is peaking at aouund 1000 blocks per sec. Not a
lot, really...

So sorry, Ingo and you other tux guys, it wasn't your fault.

roy

--

@ 2001-12-13 16:21 ` Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk @ 2001-12-13 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi

Just wanted to say I've reproduced the error in tux-D1.

thanks for any help

roy

       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.33.0112130954410.13419-100000@coffee.psychology.mcmaster.ca>
@ 2001-12-13 15:04 ` Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk @ 2001-12-13 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hahn; +Cc: linux-kernel

> > After testing this for a while, I'm quite sure there's some kind of bug
> > that locks up I/O under heavy traffic.
>
> there's definitely no problem with heavy load on one stream,
> or with multistream load and default readahead settings.
> (I certianly have tested the former, and the latter is tested
> by all the dbench scores you see here).  I'm guessing you'd
> see no lockup if you removed the readahead.  though it's also worth
> asking: have you memtest86's the cpu/ram?  and can you cause the
> lock with single-threaded bonnie?  also, do you have highmem on?

I have highmem turned off.

By using default readahead (124), starting the 50 streams, killing them,
and restarting them, I reproduced the problem. I rebooted the server
before this.

I haven't memtest86'd the hardware, but I will. I still beleive this is an
OS problem - not hardware

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, MCSE, MCNE, CLS, LCA

Computers are like air conditioners.

* [BUG?] RAID sub system / tux
@ 2001-12-13 14:47 Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk