* re: pcmcia lockup inserting or removing cards in 2.4.5-ac{13,22}
@ 2001-07-03  1:14 mr sam jooky
From: mr sam jooky @ 2001-07-03  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

>Somewhere between 2.4.2 and 2.4.5-ac13, PCMCIA card insertion and
>removal appears to have broken on my Toshiba Libretto. On 2.4.2 all was
>fine. On both 2.4.5-ac13 and ac22 it's broken. The whole machine
>freezes
>solid, no SAK-s, SAK-u, SAK-b, no Ctrl-Alt-Fn to switch VC's. No
>messages
>are issued. Problem occurs when inserting/removing any of YE-Data
>PCMCIA
>floppy, TDK Smartmedia adapter (ide_cs), or 3c589 ethernet card.

On my IBM Thinkpad 390E my PCMCIA works fine with 2.4.5, on very rare
occasions
the mouse will drift diagonaly to the lower right corner. I read in the kernel
sources that this happens normaly due to probing of the PCMCIA which screws up
the mouse device. It happens so rarely I have not yet taken the time to try to
debug it.

* re: pcmcia lockup inserting or removing cards in 2.4.5-ac{13,22}
@ 2001-07-03  3:01 ` Byeong-ryeol Kim
From: Byeong-ryeol Kim @ 2001-07-03  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, mr sam jooky wrote:

>>Somewhere between 2.4.2 and 2.4.5-ac13, PCMCIA card insertion and
>>removal appears to have broken on my Toshiba Libretto. On 2.4.2 all was
>>fine. On both 2.4.5-ac13 and ac22 it's broken. The whole machine
>>freezes
>>solid, no SAK-s, SAK-u, SAK-b, no Ctrl-Alt-Fn to switch VC's. No
>>messages
>>are issued. Problem occurs when inserting/removing any of YE-Data
>>PCMCIA
>>floppy, TDK Smartmedia adapter (ide_cs), or 3c589 ethernet card.
>
>On my IBM Thinkpad 390E my PCMCIA works fine with 2.4.5, on very rare
>occasions
>the mouse will drift diagonaly to the lower right corner. I read in the kernel
>sources that this happens normaly due to probing of the PCMCIA which screws up
>the mouse device. It happens so rarely I have not yet taken the time to try to
>debug it.
>
>-
>Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

Just FYI.(maybe worthless without ksymoops report)

My ThinkPad 600X(Coppermine 500 MHZ, 100 MHZ SDRAM 320 MB, NeoMagic 256Z
Video chipset, UDMA3 IDE hdd, cardbus IBM Etherjet 10/100 - Xircom oem,
tulip 21143 compatible, external mii tranceiver - Cirrus CS46XX sound
chipset) was completely locked up the system  while loading yenta_socket
and other modules.
But, Mr. David Hinds' pcmcia-cs-3.1.26(i82365, tulip_cs) always works well.
This was the first time for me to try to experiment with built-in pcmcia
support of regular linux kernel after 2.4.0 kernel was released.

I have been using only pcmcia-cs-3.1.2x since I bought 600X in Dec 2000,
because pcmcia drivers of 2.4.0-testX kernel doesn't worked wel at that
time.
I use kernel-2.4.3-ac22, gcc-2.96-88, binutils-2.11.90.0.19, glibc-2.2.3,
XFree86-4.1.0, ..).

--
Where there is a will, there is a way.       jinbo21@hananet.net
  For the future of you and me!              jinbo21@hitel.net

* Re: pcmcia lockup inserting or removing cards in 2.4.5-ac{13,22}
@ 2001-07-06  4:53 ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2001-07-06  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Hemsley; +Cc: linux-kernel

Trevor Hemsley wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jul 2001 03:06:11, Erik Mouw <J.A.K.Mouw@ITS.TUDelft.NL>
> wrote:
>
> > Hmm, Cardbus and USB problems... you probably have both Cardbus and
> > i82365 support in your kernel configuration.
>
> Once I have the BIOS set to "cardbus/16 bit" instead of "auto-detect"
> I don't have a problem with having both Cardbus and i82365 support
> compiled in. If the BIOS is set to auto then the PCI tables don't have
> an IRQ specified and yenta.c uses IRQ 0!

Interesting...   That sounds like the kernel's plug-n-play code isn't
doing its job.

--
Jeff Garzik      | Thalidomide, eh?
Building 1024    | So you're saying the eggplant has an accomplice?

* Re: pcmcia lockup inserting or removing cards in 2.4.5-ac{13,22}
@ 2001-07-05 21:42 Trevor Hemsley
From: Trevor Hemsley @ 2001-07-05 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

wrote:

> Hmm, Cardbus and USB problems... you probably have both Cardbus and
> i82365 support in your kernel configuration.

Once I have the BIOS set to "cardbus/16 bit" instead of "auto-detect"
I don't have a problem with having both Cardbus and i82365 support
compiled in. If the BIOS is set to auto then the PCI tables don't have
an IRQ specified and yenta.c uses IRQ 0!

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
Trevor-Hemsley@dial.pipex.com

* Re: pcmcia lockup inserting or removing cards in 2.4.5-ac{13,22}
@ 2001-07-05  0:41 Trevor Hemsley
From: Trevor Hemsley @ 2001-07-05  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001 00:30:10, "Trevor Hemsley"
<Trevor-Hemsley@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

> Somewhere between 2.4.2 and 2.4.5-ac13, PCMCIA card insertion and
> removal appears to have broken on my Toshiba Libretto. On 2.4.2 all was
> fine. On both 2.4.5-ac13 and ac22 it's broken. The whole machine freezes
> solid, no SAK-s, SAK-u, SAK-b, no Ctrl-Alt-Fn to switch VC's. No messages
> are issued. Problem occurs when inserting/removing any of YE-Data PCMCIA
> floppy, TDK Smartmedia adapter (ide_cs), or 3c589 ethernet card.

[large snip]

OK, I've done quite a lot more work on this. It isn't 2.4.5, I'd
compiled USB support in when I went to 2.4.5 and it's that that causes
the problems. I backed out all changes made between 2.4.2 and 2.4.5 in
drivers/pcmcia and that made no difference to the lockup so then I
went back to the .config file from 2.4.2 and that worked.

My best guess is that the USB support is using IRQ 11 and that the
PCMCIA card sockets are wired to use that as well. I have a bypass for
now - if I set the Toshiba BIOS up to use the slots in PCIC mode then
it assigns them IRQ 15. In cardbus mode they get assigned IRQ 11 in
Win9x but dmesg reports

Linux Kernel Card Services 3.1.22

PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:06.0. Please try
using pci=biosirq.
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin B of device 00:06.1. Please try
using pci=biosirq.

and

Yenta IRQ list 0eb8, PCI irq0
Socket status: 30000007
Yenta IRQ list 0eb8, PCI irq0
Socket status: 30000007

Using pci=biosirq makes no difference when in cardbus mode.

Ah, got it, flipping the PCMCIA setup in the BIOS from "Auto-detect"
to "Cardbus/16 bit" fixes it. lspci -vv now lists the cardbus ports as
having IRQ 11 assigned (instead of 0 before). Everything (famous last
words) appears to be working.

--

@ 2001-07-05  0:19 ` Erik Mouw
From: Erik Mouw @ 2001-07-05  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Hemsley; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 12:41:15AM +0000, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
> OK, I've done quite a lot more work on this. It isn't 2.4.5, I'd
> compiled USB support in when I went to 2.4.5 and it's that that causes
> the problems. I backed out all changes made between 2.4.2 and 2.4.5 in
> drivers/pcmcia and that made no difference to the lockup so then I
> went back to the .config file from 2.4.2 and that worked.

Hmm, Cardbus and USB problems... you probably have both Cardbus and
i82365 support in your kernel configuration. Your .config file should
have this:

#
# PCMCIA/CardBus support
#
CONFIG_PCMCIA=y
CONFIG_CARDBUS=y
# CONFIG_I82365 is not set
# CONFIG_TCIC is not set

That fixed it for me for at least three laptops.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl

* pcmcia lockup inserting or removing cards in 2.4.5-ac{13,22}
@ 2001-07-03  1:28 Trevor Hemsley
From: Trevor Hemsley @ 2001-07-03  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Somewhere between 2.4.2 and 2.4.5-ac13, PCMCIA card insertion and
removal appears to have broken on my Toshiba Libretto. On 2.4.2 all was
fine. On both 2.4.5-ac13 and ac22 it's broken. The whole machine freezes
solid, no SAK-s, SAK-u, SAK-b, no Ctrl-Alt-Fn to switch VC's. No messages
are issued. Problem occurs when inserting/removing any of YE-Data PCMCIA
floppy, TDK Smartmedia adapter (ide_cs), or 3c589 ethernet card.

If I boot with the cards in the slot then there is no problem - I can cardctl
eject/insert them as long as I do not physically remove the cards from the
slots. Any attempt to insert/remove cards kills the machine to power off
point. Dropping back to 2.4.2 cures this.

Base system is SuSE 7.1.

trevor@trevor5:~ > /sbin/lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems 601 (rev 2e)
00:04.0 VGA compatible controller: Neomagic Corporation NM2160 [MagicGraph 128XD] (rev 01)
00:06.0 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC97 (rev 20)
00:06.1 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC97 (rev 20)
00:0b.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 02)
00:11.0 Communication controller: Toshiba America Info Systems FIR Port (rev 22)
00:13.0 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC97 (rev 20)
00:13.1 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC97 (rev 20)
trevor@trevor5:~ >

trevor@trevor5:~ > dmesg
Linux version 2.4.5-ac22 (root@trevor5) (gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)) #4 Mon Jul 2 23:27:13 GMT 2001
BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
 BIOS-e820: 0000000000000000 - 000000000009fc00 (usable)
 BIOS-e820: 000000000009fc00 - 00000000000a0000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 00000000000f0000 - 0000000000100000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 0000000000100000 - 0000000004010000 (usable)
 BIOS-e820: 0000000004010000 - 0000000004020000 (ACPI data)
 BIOS-e820: 0000000004020000 - 0000000004040000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 00000000fef80000 - 00000000ff000000 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 00000000fffe0000 - 00000000fffe6e00 (reserved)
 BIOS-e820: 00000000fffe6e00 - 00000000fffe7000 (ACPI NVS)
 BIOS-e820: 00000000fffe7000 - 0000000100000000 (reserved)
On node 0 totalpages: 16400
zone(0): 4096 pages.
zone(1): 12304 pages.
zone(2): 0 pages.
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=l245 ro root=306 BOOT_FILE=/l245/vmlinuz video=vesa:ywrap
Initializing CPU#0
Detected 166.637 MHz processor.
Console: colour dummy device 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 332.59 BogoMIPS
Memory: 62616k/65600k available (823k kernel code, 2596k reserved, 225k data, 200k init, 0k highmem)
Dentry-cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
Mount-cache hash table entries: 2048 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
Buffer-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
Page-cache hash table entries: 32768 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)
CPU: Before vendor init, caps: 008001bf 00000000 00000000, vendor = 0
Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug - workaround enabled.
Intel old style machine check architecture supported.
Intel old style machine check reporting enabled on CPU#0.
CPU: After vendor init, caps: 008001bf 00000000 00000000 00000000
CPU:     After generic, caps: 008001bf 00000000 00000000 00000000
CPU:             Common caps: 008001bf 00000000 00000000 00000000
CPU: Intel Mobile Pentium MMX stepping 01
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfc5f8, last bus=21
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
Initializing RT netlink socket
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x02 (Driver version 1.14)
Starting kswapd v1.8
vesafb: framebuffer at 0xfd000000, mapped to 0xc5002000, size 1984k
vesafb: mode is 800x480x8, linelength=800, pages=4
vesafb: protected mode interface info at c000:8610
vesafb: pmi: set display start = c00c8646, set palette = c00c8698
vesafb: scrolling: ywrap using protected mode interface, yres_virtual=2539
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 100x30
fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
Toshiba System Managment Mode driver v1.9 22/3/2001
Serial driver version 5.05b (2001-05-03) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
block: queued sectors max/low 41376kB/13792kB, 128 slots per queue
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 4096K size 1024 blocksize
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
hda: FUJITSU MHH2064AT, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hda: 12685680 sectors (6495 MB) w/512KiB Cache, CHS=789/255/63
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 hda6 hda7 >
Linux Kernel Card Services 3.1.22
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:06.0. Please try using pci=biosirq.
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin B of device 00:06.1. Please try using pci=biosirq.
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:13.0. Please try using pci=biosirq.
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin B of device 00:13.1. Please try using pci=biosirq.
Intel PCIC probe: not found.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
IP: routing cache hash table of 512 buckets, 4Kbytes
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
Yenta IRQ list 0eb8, PCI irq0
Socket status: 30000007
Yenta IRQ list 0eb8, PCI irq0
Socket status: 30000007
Yenta IRQ list 0eb8, PCI irq0
Socket status: 30000011
Yenta IRQ list 0eb8, PCI irq0
Socket status: 30000007
Freeing unused kernel memory: 200k freed
Adding Swap: 64220k swap-space (priority -1)
cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0800-0x08ff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: excluding 0x220-0x22f 0x330-0x337 0x370-0x377 0x388-0x38f 0x480-0x48f 0x4d0-0x4d7
cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.
eth0: 3Com 3c589, io 0x300, irq 3, hw_addr 00:60:97:8B:2B:2B
  8K FIFO split 5:3 Rx:Tx, auto xcvr
eth0: flipped to 10baseT
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xc521c000, IRQ 11
usb-ohci.c: usb-00:0b.0, NEC Corporation USB
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb-ohci.c: v5.2:USB OHCI Host Controller Driver
usb.c: registered new driver hid
hid-core.c: v1.8 Andreas Gal, Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>
hid-core.c: USB HID support drivers
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
scanlogd uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)
eth0: flipped to 10baseT

trevor@trevor5:/usr/src/linux > /sbin/lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
mousedev                3872   0 (unused)
hid                    12608   0 (unused)
input                   3264   0 [mousedev hid]
usb-ohci               17376   0 (unused)
usbcore                47328   1 [hid usb-ohci]
3c589_cs                7456   1

trevor@trevor5:~ > grep -v ^# /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_ISA=y
CONFIG_UID16=y
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
CONFIG_KMOD=y
CONFIG_M586MMX=y
CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG=y
CONFIG_X86_XADD=y
CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
CONFIG_RWSEM_XCHGADD_ALGORITHM=y
CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=5
CONFIG_X86_USE_STRING_486=y
CONFIG_X86_ALIGNMENT_16=y
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
CONFIG_TOSHIBA=y
CONFIG_MICROCODE=m
CONFIG_X86_MSR=m
CONFIG_X86_CPUID=m
CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y
CONFIG_NET=y
CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_PCI_GOANY=y
CONFIG_PCI_BIOS=y
CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT=y
CONFIG_PCI_NAMES=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
CONFIG_PCMCIA=y
CONFIG_CARDBUS=y
CONFIG_I82365=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
CONFIG_KCORE_ELF=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_PM=y
CONFIG_APM=y
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD_PCMCIA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
CONFIG_PACKET=y
CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP=y
CONFIG_NETLINK=y
CONFIG_RTNETLINK=y
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES=y
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
CONFIG_PIIX_TUNING=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y
CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
CONFIG_DUMMY=m
CONFIG_NET_PCMCIA=y
CONFIG_PCMCIA_3C589=m
CONFIG_INPUT=m
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=m
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=800
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=480
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT=256
CONFIG_I2C=m
CONFIG_I2C_ALGOBIT=m
CONFIG_I2C_ELV=m
CONFIG_I2C_VELLEMAN=m
CONFIG_I2C_ALGOPCF=m
CONFIG_I2C_ELEKTOR=m
CONFIG_I2C_CHARDEV=m
CONFIG_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_PSMOUSE=y
CONFIG_PCMCIA_SERIAL_CS=m
CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS=y
CONFIG_FAT_FS=m
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=m
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=m
CONFIG_TMPFS=y
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
CONFIG_JOLIET=y
CONFIG_MINIX_FS=m
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION=y
CONFIG_NLS=y
CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT="iso8859-1"
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_437=m
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_850=m
CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_1=m
CONFIG_NLS_UTF8=m
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
CONFIG_SOUND=m
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m
CONFIG_SOUND_TRACEINIT=y
CONFIG_SOUND_YM3812=m
CONFIG_SOUND_OPL3SA2=m
CONFIG_USB=m
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
CONFIG_USB_OHCI=m
CONFIG_USB_HID=m
CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y

No need to cc me as I read the newsgroup archive of linux-kernel and should
get replies there, thanks.