* Problems with compiling kernel.
@ 2001-08-30 10:36 Mark A. Tagliaferro
From: Mark A. Tagliaferro @ 2001-08-30 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I'm using SuSE 7.1 and I had to compile the kernel to include SCSI support.
That part is all well and good.  The problems started when I tried to set up
masquerading.  Modprobe is returning the following error:

modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.2/modules.dep (No such
file or directory)

I looked in /lib/modules/ and there the directory is called 2.4.2-4GB and not
2.4.2

I tried to fool it by creating a virtual link to the directory with the name
2.4.2 but then the modprobe returns a large number of kernal mismatch errors
that the particular modules (iptable_nat) I am trying to run were written for
kernel version 2.4.2-4GB and not 2.4.2

It looks like modprobe is looking for kernel version 2.4.2 but the modules are
for kernel 2.4.2-4GB.

Incidentally I have another machine with the standard kernel that YaST installs
on which modprobe works well and the directory in /lib/modules/ is calle
2.4.2-4GB.

Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong?
Did I have to recompile the kernel to load the aic7xxx or could I have added a
command in some initialisation file to load it as a module (insmod)?

Regards
Mark

* Re: Problems with compiling kernel.
@ 2001-08-30 13:05 ` Luigi Genoni
From: Luigi Genoni @ 2001-08-30 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark A. Tagliaferro; +Cc: linux-kernel

Stupid question....

And then did you compile and install the modules too?

it seems you installed the new kernel (2.4.2, an old one to say the
truth), but not the new modules

bye
Luigi

@ 2001-08-30 17:31 ` Frank Schneider
From: Frank Schneider @ 2001-08-30 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark A. Tagliaferro; +Cc: linux-kernel

"Mark A. Tagliaferro" schrieb:

> I'm using SuSE 7.1 and I had to compile the kernel to include SCSI support.
> That part is all well and good.  The problems started when I tried to set up
> masquerading.  Modprobe is returning the following error:
>
> modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.2/modules.dep (No such
> file or directory)
>
> I looked in /lib/modules/ and there the directory is called 2.4.2-4GB and not
> 2.4.2
>
> I tried to fool it by creating a virtual link to the directory with the name
> 2.4.2 but then the modprobe returns a large number of kernal mismatch errors
> that the particular modules (iptable_nat) I am trying to run were written for
> kernel version 2.4.2-4GB and not 2.4.2
>
> It looks like modprobe is looking for kernel version 2.4.2 but the modules are
> for kernel 2.4.2-4GB.

(..)
> Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong?

Not clearly, but try the following:
Configure your Kernel and then add in the Toplevel-Makefile
(/usr/src/linux/Makefile) an "extra-Subrevision", e.g.

-------
VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 4
SUBLEVEL = 3
EXTRAVERSION = -12-TEST

KERNELRELEASE=$(VERSION).$(PATCHLEVEL).$(SUBLEVEL)$(EXTRAVERSION)
---------

Then compile.
The effect is, that now all the module-path and revision-numbers contain
this extra-info and you can easily track were the "right" modules are
stored and build.

Before you do a "make modules_install", delete the complete old
Module-Path (save the modules in another place if your are unsure), so
even the path has to be made new.
I had already strange problems with "make modules_install" not
overwriting old modules or deleting old ones that are not used any more.

> Did I have to recompile the kernel to load the aic7xxx or could I have added a
> command in some initialisation file to load it as a module (insmod)?

If you have "/" on a SCSI-Disk, you cannot boot and then load the
module...you would have to build a initrd-ramdisk, but i would suggest
to build in the SCSI-Support.
If you have "/" on an IDE-Drive you can build the SCSI-Support as Module
and then load it during bootup.

Solong..
Frank.

--