* Some experiences with the Athlon optimisation problem
@ 2001-09-04  9:02 Heinz Deinhart
From: Heinz Deinhart @ 2001-09-04  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

i might have found some interesting informations regarding the Athlon
optimisation problems. I have two different Athlon versions, the
older one seems to work very table, the newer one crashes always
during system startup.  Both chips where running in exactly the same
machine. (the older one is a 1.133Ghz the newer one a 1.2Ghz.)

I tried 2.4.9, 2.4.9-ac6 and 2.4.3, not difference. The system is a
MSI-K7A Turbo with KT133A from VIA, 256MB PC133 RAM. I have 8 of the
new ones, and all of them do not work.

Because the same system is stable with one kind of Athlons and does
not work with the other, couldn't this mean those Athlons are buggy ?

Of course all troubles vanish when i turn off Athlon optimisation. But
this probably doesnt kill the problem.

The old Athlon reads:
	A1133AMS3C
	AVIA 0115TPAW
	95262550081

The new (non working) one:
	A1200AMS3C
	AXIA 0121RPDW
	95987660990

I hope this is somehow useful.

ciao,
heinz

--
Heinz Deinhart <heinz@auto.tuwien.ac.at>
+43 1 58801-18321

* Re: Some experiences with the Athlon optimisation problem
@ 2001-09-07 18:09 ` Stefan Smietanowski
From: Stefan Smietanowski @ 2001-09-07 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ejolson; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi.

 >>The old Athlon reads:
 >>       A1133AMS3C
 >>       AVIA 0115TPAW
 >>       95262550081
 >>
 >>The new (non working) one:
 >>       A1200AMS3C
 >>       AXIA 0121RPDW
 >>       95987660990
 >>

 > The first line can be decoded using AMDs documentation at
 >
 >     http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/techdocs/index.html
 >
 > In particular

<snip>

 > Anyone know what the second line means?  It is quite mysterious
 > that the word VIA appears on the chip that works with VIA KT133A
 > and not on the other :-)

The first letters, be they 4, 5 or 6 or whatever is stepping.

So the old is AVIA stepping, the new is the AXIA stepping.

The nextcoming four numbers are production week, ie 2001 week 15 and
2001 week 21. I can't remember the letters.

// Stefan

* Some experiences with the Athlon optimisation problem
@ 2001-09-07 17:23 Eric Olson
From: Eric Olson @ 2001-09-07 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: heinz; +Cc: linux-kernel

Oops, it should be "Core" Temperature not "Case" Temperature below.
The AMD Athlon Processor Model 4 Data Sheet summary on page 71 also
made this typo and I blindly copied it.  --Eric

@ 2001-09-07 17:18 Eric Olson
From: Eric Olson @ 2001-09-07 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: heinz; +Cc: linux-kernel

Dear Heinz Deinhart,