* Tulip Drivers Problem in 2.4.xx Kernel
@ 2001-11-05 23:56 Jamie
From: Jamie @ 2001-11-05 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: becker; +Cc: jam, hendriks, jgolds, sdegler, jgarzik, tulip-users, linux-kernel

Hi ok I was told that you may be able to help me with this issue.  I have a
DEC DC 20141 NIC installed in this machine which uses the tulip drivers.  I
am using the 2.2.xx kernels right now and there are two different set of
tulip drivers in this kernel. This driver in the 2.2.xx kernel works fine. I
am compiling the 2.2.19 Kernel

But when I compile the 2.4.xx Kernel it stops working the kernel that I
compling is 2.4.13 I noticed that in the 2.4.13 Kernel there is only 1
driver for the tulip drivers in this kernel.

There are 2 NICs in this machine a 3COM 3C900B-TPO NIC and ad DEC DC20141
NIC.

When I reboot the machine the drivers load fine, here is what I see in my
log.

Nov  5 17:06:15 CS623805-A kernel: tulip0: 21041 Media table, default media
0800
 (Autosense).
Nov  5 17:06:15 CS623805-A kernel: tulip0:  21041 media #0, 10baseT.
Nov  5 17:06:15 CS623805-A kernel: tulip0:  21041 media #4, 10baseT-FDX.
Nov  5 17:06:15 CS623805-A kernel: eth0: Digital DC21041 Tulip rev 17 at
0x6100,
 21041 mode, 00:00:C0:90:F0:E3, IRQ 3.
Nov  5 17:06:15 CS623805-A kernel: cdrom: open failed.
Nov  5 17:06:24 CS623805-A sendmail[112]: starting daemon (8.11.4):
SMTP+queuein
g@00:15:00
Nov  5 17:06:26 CS623805-A kernel: 00:0b.0: 3Com PCI 3c900 Cyclone 10Mbps
TPO at
 0x6200. Vers LK1.1.16

All the drivers load up fine but I get no communication between the NIC and
my cable modem I get no PC light on the front of the cable modem there is no
connection between the DEC DC 21041 NIC and the cable modem. There are no
errors in /var/log/messages when the machine is booting up. But there is no
communication to this NIC. I noticed as well that in the 2.2.xx Kernel in
the tulip.c  you use Donald Becker's Tulip Drivers.

/* tulip.c: A DEC 21040-family ethernet driver for Linux. */
/*
        Written/copyright 1994-1999 by Donald Becker.

        This software may be used and distributed according to the terms
        of the GNU Public License, incorporated herein by reference.

        This driver is for the Digital "Tulip" Ethernet adapter interface.
        It should work with most DEC 21*4*-based chips/ethercards, as well
as
        with work-alike chips from Lite-On (PNIC) and Macronix (MXIC) and
ASIX.

        The author may be reached as becker@CESDIS.gsfc.nasa.gov, or C/O
        Center of Excellence in Space Data and Information Sciences
           Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt MD 20771

        Support and updates available at
        http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html

       This driver also contains updates by Wolfgang Walter and others.
        For this specific driver variant please use linux-kernel for
        bug reports.

        Updated 12/17/2000 by Jim McQuillan <jam@McQuil.com> to
        include support for the Linksys LNE100TX card based on the
        Admtek 985 Centaur-P chipset.
*/

Here are the drivers from the 2.4.xx Kernel as well.

2001-07-17  Erik A. Hendriks  <hendriks@lanl.gov>

        * 21142.c: Merge fix from tulip.c 0.92w which prevents the
        overwriting of csr6 bits we want to preserve.

2001-07-10  Jeff Golds  <jgolds@resilience.com>

        * tulip_core.c: Fix two comments

2001-07-06  Stephen Degler  <sdegler@degler.net>

        * media.c:
        The media selection process at the end of NWAY is busted
        because for the case of MII/SYM it needs to be:

        csr13 <- 0
        csr14 <- 0
        csr6 <-  the value calculated is okay.

As per the Maintaners file included with the 2.4.13 source  I am CCing the
people who
are mainting these tulip drivers in this kernel as well.

TULIP NETWORK DRIVER
P:      Jeff Garzik
M:      jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com
L:      tulip-users@lists.sourceforge.net
W:      http://sourceforge.net/projects/tulip/
S:      Maintained

Also as per the 2.2.19 Kernel in the REPORTING-BUGS file

     Send the output the maintainer of the kernel area that seems to
be involved with the problem. Don't worry too much about getting the
wrong person. If you are unsure send it to the person responsible for the
code relevant to what you were doing. If it occurs repeatably try and
describe how to recreate it. That is worth even more than the oops itself.
The list of maintainers is in the MAINTAINERS file in this directory.

      If you are totally stumped as to whom to send the report, send it to
linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org. (For more information on the linux-kernel

What I would like to see happen is that you go back to the tulip.c drivers
from the 2.2.xx Kernel into the 2.4.xx Kernel. because the drivers for the
tulip.c in the 2.4.xx kernel are broken for the DEC DC21041 NIC.

This issue needs to be immediately fixed in the 2.4.xx kernel the drivers
are not currently functioning correctly.

The machine that this is running is a Pentium 200 MMX 64 MB or Ram. 4 Gig
hard drive. This machine is optomized as a router/gateway only.  As I said
everything runs fine with the 2.2.xx kernel but when I go to compile the
2.4.xx kernel it does not communicate with this NIC correctly all the
drivers load properly but I can't connect out using the 2.4.xx drivers.

Here is the information from /proc/cpuinfo

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 5
model           : 4
model name      : Pentium MMX
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 200.457
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
sep_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : yes
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 mmx
bogomips        : 399.76

Here is the information from /proc/version as well

Linux version 2.2.19 (root@CS623805-A) (gcc version 2.95.3 20010315
(release)) #
5 Mon Nov 5 17:07:53 EST 2001

That is the current version I am running right now since the 2.4.xx kernel
is not working correctly with the DEC DC21041 NIC I have as one of the cards
in this machine.

Please look into this issue for me please with the 2.4.xx Kernel series.
If you need to reach me please email me back at darkshad@home.com

Thanks,

Jamie

* Re: Tulip Drivers Problem in 2.4.xx Kernel
@ 2001-11-06  0:07 ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2001-11-06  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamie
  Cc: becker, jam, hendriks, jgolds, sdegler, tulip-users,
	linux-kernel, Anders Hedborg

Currently there is a bug in 2.4.x-current tulip drivers that prevents
21041 from initializing correctly.  Until then you can use the 'de4x5'
driver or download the latest stable version on the tulip web page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tulip/
--
Jeff Garzik      | Only so many songs can be sung
Building 1024    | with two lips, two lungs, and one tongue.

* Re: Tulip Drivers Problem in 2.4.xx Kernel
@ 2001-11-06  1:29   ` Jamie
From: Jamie @ 2001-11-06  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik
  Cc: becker, jam, hendriks, jgolds, sdegler, tulip-users,
	linux-kernel, Anders Hedborg

Ok Jeff thanks I will definately give that a try I have never tried the
dec4x5 drivers I will see if it works
for my NIC.

Thanks,

Jamie

@ 2001-11-06 16:50     ` EricMarts
From: EricMarts @ 2001-11-06 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamie
  Cc: Jeff Garzik, becker, jam, hendriks, jgolds, sdegler, tulip-users,
	linux-kernel, Anders Hedborg

All,

Donald Becker had given be some pointers.

I had problems on Windows 95 as well.

Here is what I came up with ... in terms of the system.

The old HP Pavalion uses a Intel motherboard and the
Intel bios (with HP logo etc..)

The PCI is only 2.0? compliant and the card is meant for
2.1 systems..

The on board sounnd and graphics was a pain. Not a like I could
just pull out the graphics or sound PCI card to free up
resources.

Windows wanted to use PCI Steering -- I couldn't get it turned
off (IRQ sharing with the onboard video card..)

Long story short....

I was able to through a Netgear ISA card in assign the IRQ iomem
address via the DOS config tool (writes EEPROM?), and cfdisk, and install

RH 7.0

Does the PCI 2.0 - PCI 2.1 make a difference.

Do I have a chance here to get PCI card up and running?

Thanks,

Eric

@ 2001-11-06 19:12       ` Jamie
From: Jamie @ 2001-11-06 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: EricMarts
  Cc: Jeff Garzik, becker, jam, hendriks, jgolds, sdegler, tulip-users,
	linux-kernel, Anders Hedborg

To get it to work on Slackware 8 I had to go to the website he listed bellow
and download the drivers and use  the stable drivers from the website he
listed bellow it was the only way to get it to work.

Jamie

@ 2001-11-06 19:17         ` EricMarts
From: EricMarts @ 2001-11-06 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamie
  Cc: Jeff Garzik, becker, jam, hendriks, jgolds, sdegler, tulip-users,
	linux-kernel, Anders Hedborg

Yeah I have been through that.

Get the tip of the version, compile, modprobe (insmod) etc..

no luck..

I've tried with the 2.4.x series as well as the 2.2.x series kernels.

I know that they are really seperate teams and code bases...

the one @ sourceforge was the closest.., but still spewed messages...

Same issue? Are you able to get iomem reserved, a good irq?

Eric