* Multicast Broadcast
@ 2001-11-21 20:53 berthiaume_wayne
From: berthiaume_wayne @ 2001-11-21 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

	Hello group....

	I have a cluster that I wish to be able to perform a multicast
broadcast over two backbones, primary and secondary, simultaneously. The two
eth's are bound to the same VIP. When I perform the broadcast, it only goes
out on eth0.
	Is there a way to do this without writing an application to do it?
I've been looking at igmp.c:ip_mc_join_group to do a possible change like:

#ifdef DUAL_MCAST_BIND
   if(!imr->imr_ifindex) {
      imr->ifindex=2;  /* eth0 */
      err=ip_mc_join_group(sk, imr);
      if (!err) {
        imr->ifindex=3; /* eth1 */
        err=ip_mc_join_group(sk, imr);
      }
      return err;
   }
#else
   if(!imr->imr_ifindex)
     in_dev = ip_mc_find_dev(imr);
#endif

	Will this be necessary??? Could there be something in the kerenl to
configure?

PS: Please cc me any response as I'm not yet monitoring this group.

Thanks,
Wayne
EMC Corp
ObjectStorEngineering
4400 Computer Drive
M/S F213
Westboro,  MA    01580

email:       Berthiaume_Wayne@emc.com
                 WBerthiaume@clariion.com

"One man can make a difference, and every man should try."  - JFK

[-- Attachment #2: Wayne Berthiaume (E-mail).vcf --]

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Berthiaume;Wayne
FN:Wayne Berthiaume
ORG:EMC Corp
TITLE:Sr Attach Engineer
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(508) 382-6026
TEL;PAGER;VOICE:(888) 769-4578
TEL;WORK;FAX:(508) 480-7897
ADR;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;CLARiiON Attach Engineering=0D=0A4 Coslin Drive=0D=0AM/S C4-40;Southboro;M=
A;01772;United States of America
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:CLARiiON Attach Engineering=0D=0A4 Coslin Drive=0D=0AM/S C4-40=0D=0ASouthbor=
o, MA 01772=0D=0AUnited States of America
URL;WORK:http://www.emc.com
REV:20010108T191730Z
END:VCARD

* RE: Multicast Broadcast
@ 2001-11-26 15:47 berthiaume_wayne
From: berthiaume_wayne @ 2001-11-26 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lk; +Cc: linux-kernel

	One potential work-around is a patch to
net/ipv4/igmp.c:ip_mc_join_group.
For example:

#ifdef DUAL_MCAST_BIND
   if(!imr->imr_ifindex) {
      imr->ifindex=2;  /* eth0 */
      err=ip_mc_join_group(sk, imr);
      if (!err) {
        imr->ifindex=3; /* eth1 */
        err=ip_mc_join_group(sk, imr);
      }
      return err;
   }
#else
   if(!imr->imr_ifindex)
     in_dev = ip_mc_find_dev(imr);
#endif

	I'm hoping that there is another way.

Wayne
EMC Corp
ObjectStorEngineering
4400 Computer Drive
M/S F213
Westboro,  MA    01580

email:       Berthiaume_Wayne@emc.com

"One man can make a difference, and every man should try."  - JFK

> 	I have a cluster that I wish to be able to perform a multicast
> broadcast over two backbones, primary and secondary, simultaneously. The
two
> eth's are bound to the same VIP. When I perform the broadcast, it only
goes
> out on eth0.

I have seen this problem when trying to use an NTP server to multicast
to two ethernets.  Unfortunately, NTP's output would only send to one of
the networks (eth0).

I never did find a workaround.

-- Jamie

[parent not found: <93F527C91A6ED411AFE10050040665D00241AB08@corpusmx1.us.dg.com.suse.lists.linux.kernel>]
* RE: Multicast Broadcast
@ 2001-11-26 16:33 berthiaume_wayne
From: berthiaume_wayne @ 2001-11-26 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ak; +Cc: linux-kernel

	Wouldn't the IP address for the two NIC's have to be different for
that to work? I'm binding the same VIP to the two eth's.

From: berthiaume_wayne @ 2001-11-29 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ak; +Cc: linux-kernel

	Andi, forgive my ignorance. I've searched around and can't seem to
find any references to IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP and how to use it. I did perform an
fgrep() and found the switch in net/ipv4/ip_socketglue.c, but where do I
implement it or how do I call it? Is this something I place in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scriptsifcfg-eth<x> file? Any help would be
appreciated.
Regards,

From: berthiaume_wayne @ 2001-11-30 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ak; +Cc: linux-kernel, alan

	Andi, it appears that JVM doesn't support the ip_mreqn struct that
would allow us to use imr_ifindex but supports only the older ip_mreq struct
as the optval. Any other suggestions.
Most appreciated,
Wayne
EMC Corp
ObjectStor Engineering
4400 Computer Drive
M/S F213
Westboro,  MA    01580

email:       Berthiaume_Wayne@emc.com
                 WBerthiaume@clariion.com

"One man can make a difference, and every man should try."  - JFK

> 	Andi, forgive my ignorance. I've searched around and can't seem to
> find any references to IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP and how to use it. I did perform
an

man 7 ip

It is a socket option you use in the program that does the multicast
communication.

-Andi