* nfsroot dead slow with redhat 7.2
@ 2001-12-20  0:34 David Chow
From: David Chow @ 2001-12-20  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

Dear all,

When I use 2.4.7-10 i686 kernel from stock Redhat 7.2 as the NFS server.
My NFS client use the 2.4.13 kernel, when I mount the nfsroot to the
server, I found it is dead slow on the client. This only happens in i686
kernel on the server, if we use a K6-2 uses an i386 server its fine.
What's going on? By the way, how to configure the client to default use
a NFSv3 mount? Thanks.

regards,

David

* Re: nfsroot dead slow with redhat 7.2
@ 2001-12-20  0:52 ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2001-12-20  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Chow; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

     > Dear all, When I use 2.4.7-10 i686 kernel from stock Redhat 7.2
     > as the NFS server. My NFS client use the 2.4.13 kernel, when I
     > mount the nfsroot to the server, I found it is dead slow on the
     > client. This only happens in i686 kernel on the server, if we
     > use a K6-2 uses an i386 server its fine. What's going on? By

Usually means you have a bad network connection. Use tcpdump to
isolate where on the network packets (and UDP fragments) are
disappearing.

     > the way, how to configure the client to default use a NFSv3
     > mount? Thanks.

Specify the 'v3' NFSroot mount option.

Cheers,
   Trond

* Re: nfsroot dead slow with redhat 7.2
@ 2001-12-20  1:49 ` David Chow
From: David Chow @ 2001-12-20  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trond Myklebust; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

Dear Trond,

Thanks for answering my question, we have use the i386 kernel at the
server that works fine. Also even we uses the i686 kerenl at the server,
it happens normally when doing NFS mounts, it will only be dead slow
when
	server i686 2.4.7-10 kernel && client nfsroot(2.4.13 i686)

The network is fine. It is so slow that an ls -l at the rootfs takes
more than 2 minutes. The readdir() seems alright because the ls
immediate counts the number of records says "total blahbalh" but when
doing individual lookup calls, it seems slow like hell. We have other
production i686smp servers 2.4.14 serving diskless i686 clients using
2.4.13 kernels works great. Is there any difference in nfsroot with
normal nfsmounts? And can we configure the nfsroot use a v3 mount?
becaus now it defaults to v2 always.

David

在 週四, 2001-12-20 08:52, Trond Myklebust 寫道:

@ 2001-12-20  1:58   ` Dax Kelson
From: Dax Kelson @ 2001-12-20  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Chow; +Cc: Trond Myklebust, linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

On 20 Dec 2001, David Chow wrote:

> Dear Trond,
>
> Thanks for answering my question, we have use the i386 kernel at the
> server that works fine. Also even we uses the i686 kerenl at the server,
> it happens normally when doing NFS mounts, it will only be dead slow
> when
> 	server i686 2.4.7-10 kernel && client nfsroot(2.4.13 i686)
>
> The network is fine. It is so slow that an ls -l at the rootfs takes
> more than 2 minutes. The readdir() seems alright because the ls
> immediate counts the number of records says "total blahbalh" but when

Is a "ls -ln" any faster?

Dax

* Re: nfsroot dead slow with redhat 7.2
@ 2001-12-20  2:39   ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2001-12-20  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Chow; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

     > The network is fine. It is so slow that an ls -l at the rootfs
     > takes more than 2 minutes. The readdir() seems alright because
     > the ls immediate counts the number of records says "total
     > blahbalh" but when doing individual lookup calls, it seems slow
     > like hell. We have other production i686smp servers 2.4.14

As I said: 'tcpdump' ought to show you what is going on.

     > serving diskless i686 clients using
     > 2.4.13 kernels works great. Is there any difference in nfsroot
     >        with
     > normal nfsmounts? And can we configure the nfsroot use a v3

Nope: no differences. NFSroot uses the exact same code as standard
NFS.

     > mount?  becaus now it defaults to v2 always.

As I said in my previous mail: use the mount option 'v3' on the kernel
boot line if you want NFSv3.

 e.g. nfsroot="10.0.0.1:/bar,v3"

Cheers,
   Trond

* Re: nfsroot dead slow with redhat 7.2
@ 2001-12-20  8:18   ` David Chow
From: David Chow @ 2001-12-20  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: trond.myklebust; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

在 週四, 2001-12-20 10:39, Trond Myklebust 寫道:

>      > The network is fine. It is so slow that an ls -l at the rootfs
>      > takes more than 2 minutes. The readdir() seems alright because
>      > the ls immediate counts the number of records says "total
>      > blahbalh" but when doing individual lookup calls, it seems slow
>      > like hell. We have other production i686smp servers 2.4.14
>
> As I said: 'tcpdump' ought to show you what is going on
>
>      > serving diskless i686 clients using
>      > 2.4.13 kernels works great. Is there any difference in nfsroot
>      >        with
>      > normal nfsmounts? And can we configure the nfsroot use a v3
>
> Nope: no differences. NFSroot uses the exact same code as standard
> NFS.
>
>      > mount?  becaus now it defaults to v2 always.
>
> As I said in my previous mail: use the mount option 'v3' on the kernel
> boot line if you want NFSv3.
>
>  e.g. nfsroot="10.0.0.1:/bar,v3"
>
> Cheers,
>    Trond
Just find out... it is a problem of some settings in /etc directory
it is not related to the FSes . I replaced the /etc directory with the
one we are using on the production machines... by the way. What can be
wrong? When it starts init , and execute the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit , it
is hell slow. We have tried replace /sbin/init with bash and we got out
a shell but "ls -l" takes more than 2 minutes... do you know what sort
of settings in the /etc will affect use space "bash" or "glibc" on
nfsroot behaves different ? This is so strange.

Thanks

@ 2001-12-20 11:15     ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2001-12-20 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Chow; +Cc: linux-kernel

     > Just find out... it is a problem of some settings in /etc
     > directory it is not related to the FSes . I replaced the /etc
     > directory with the one we are using on the production
     > machines... by the way. What can be wrong? When it starts init
     > , and execute the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit , it is hell slow. We
     > have tried replace /sbin/init with bash and we got out a shell
     > but "ls -l" takes more than 2 minutes... do you know what sort
     > of settings in the /etc will affect use space "bash" or "glibc"
     > on nfsroot behaves different ? This is so strange.

Anything network related: ipchains, network parameters, ...
Also, if things like portmapper, statd, and the remaining NFS mounts
are getting started in the wrong order.

Cheers,
  Trond

* Re: nfsroot dead slow with redhat 7.2
@ 2001-12-20 19:43     ` Dax Kelson
From: Dax Kelson @ 2001-12-20 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Chow; +Cc: trond.myklebust, linux-kernel, linux-fsdevel

On 20 Dec 2001, David Chow wrote:

> Just find out... it is a problem of some settings in /etc directory
> it is not related to the FSes . I replaced the /etc directory with the
> one we are using on the production machines... by the way. What can be
> wrong? When it starts init , and execute the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit , it
> is hell slow. We have tried replace /sbin/init with bash and we got out
> a shell but "ls -l" takes more than 2 minutes... do you know what sort
> of settings in the /etc will affect use space "bash" or "glibc" on
> nfsroot behaves different ? This is so strange.

David.  I asked yesterday for you to try "ls -ln" and report if it is any
faster.  What you are just now discovering, I suspected when I first read
your report.

Please try "ls -ln" and report.

Dax