* VLAN switching in linux kernel...
@ 2003-12-19 12:13 Madhavi
From: Madhavi @ 2003-12-19 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have a doubt regarding the VLAN operation of the Standard Linux kernel
(linux-2.4.20).

My network setup is something like this:

---+---------------+------ VLAN ID 200
   |eth0.200       |eth0.200
+------+       +------+
|  HA  |       |Router|
+------+       +------+
-----------+-------------- VLAN ID 300
           |eth0.300
        +------+
        |  HB  |
        +------+

When I send ping packets from HA to HB over the interface eth0.200, is
possible for the Router (using linux-2.4.20 with CONFIG_8021Q option) to
switch packets from VLAN 200 to VLAN 300?

Is this VLAN switching functionality supported by the standard linux kernel?
Is there some extra configuration, some patches or sources that can support
this feature for linux?

I would be a great help to me if someone could answer this or give some
pointers to this?

Thanks & Regards
Madhavi.

Madhavi Suram
Senior Software Engineer
Customer Delivery / Networks
Sasken Communication Technologies Limited
139/25, Ring Road, Domlur
Bangalore - 560071 India
Email: madhavis@sasken.com
Tel: + 91 80 5355501 Extn: 8062
Fax: + 91 80 5351133

SASKEN BUSINESS DISCLAIMER

This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally Privileged information. In case you are not the original intended Recipient of the message, you must not, directly or indirectly, use, Disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message and you are requested to delete it and inform the sender. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender unless otherwise stated. Nothing contained in this message shall be construed as an offer or acceptance of any offer by Sasken Communication Technologies Limited ("Sasken") unless sent with that express intent and with due authority of Sasken. Sasken has taken enough precautions to prevent the spread of viruses. However the company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

* Re: VLAN switching in linux kernel...
@ 2003-12-19 12:45 ` David T Hollis
From: David T Hollis @ 2003-12-19 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Madhavi; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 07:13, Madhavi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a doubt regarding the VLAN operation of the Standard Linux kernel
> (linux-2.4.20).
>
> My network setup is something like this:
>
> ---+---------------+------ VLAN ID 200
>    |eth0.200       |eth0.200
> +------+       +------+
> |  HA  |       |Router|
> +------+       +------+
>                    |eth1.300
> -----------+-------------- VLAN ID 300
>            |eth0.300
>         +------+
>         |  HB  |
>         +------+
>
> When I send ping packets from HA to HB over the interface eth0.200, is
> possible for the Router (using linux-2.4.20 with CONFIG_8021Q option) to
> switch packets from VLAN 200 to VLAN 300?
>
> Is this VLAN switching functionality supported by the standard linux kernel?
> Is there some extra configuration, some patches or sources that can support
> this feature for linux?
>
> I would be a great help to me if someone could answer this or give some
> pointers to this?
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Madhavi.

You would route between the two VLANs.  They are two different broadcast
domains, you need to route them at Layer 3.  HA would have a route or
default gw pointed at ROUTER which has IP forwarding turned on and you
should be able to hit HB.

* Re: VLAN switching in linux kernel...
@ 2003-12-20 17:07   ` Gilad Ben-Yossef
From: Gilad Ben-Yossef @ 2003-12-20 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David T Hollis, Madhavi; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Friday 19 December 2003 14:45, David T Hollis wrote:

> > When I send ping packets from HA to HB over the interface eth0.200,
> > is possible for the Router (using linux-2.4.20 with CONFIG_8021Q
> > option) to switch packets from VLAN 200 to VLAN 300?
> >
> > Is this VLAN switching functionality supported by the standard
> > linux kernel? Is there some extra configuration, some patches or
> > sources that can support this feature for linux?
> >
> > I would be a great help to me if someone could answer this or give
> > some pointers to this?
> >
> You would route between the two VLANs.  They are two different
> broadcast domains, you need to route them at Layer 3.  HA would have
> a route or default gw pointed at ROUTER which has IP forwarding
> turned on and you should be able to hit HB.

Another options is to bridge between the two VLAN interfaces (eth0.200
and eth0.300). man "brctl" to learn how to enslave both ports to a
bridge unit.

Note: you might need to use the vconfig option "set_flag [vlan-device]
1" to enable Ethernet headers reoredering to get this to do what you
want.

Cheers,
Gilad

--