* Bogomips Replacement
@ 2001-07-10 15:29 Joe Barr
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Joe Barr @ 2001-07-10 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi, everyone

I've just finished reading "Teach Yourself Linux Kernel Hacking In 15 Minutes" and feel like I'm ready to jump into the fray and start making contributions.  So, where to start.  I feel like that lady on TV, looking for the weakest link.

What I want to do is rip out the bogomips code and replace it with something completely different.  Does anyone know who currently maintains it?  As I recall from the Geek Bowl earlier this year in NYC, nobody really knows what that bogomips stuff does anyway.

My idea is to add an active FUD filter to the kernel by sampling selected stories on LinuxToday and then providing a realtime bogosity rating.  Drawing on my extensive cultural training, I've decided to borrow an idea from the movie Spinal Tap.  Instead of having the meter show a bogosity reading between zero and ten, it will span from zero to MS.

Oh, one more question before I begin.  It is OK to do kernel patches in Visual RPG, isn't it?

See ya,
Joe Barr

--
#====================================================#
# Joe Barr                         warthawg@ecpi.com #

* Re: Bogomips Replacement
@ 2001-07-10 15:41 ` Charles Cazabon
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Charles Cazabon @ 2001-07-10 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Joe Barr <warthawg@ecpi.com> wrote:

> What I want to do is rip out the bogomips code and replace it with something
> completely different.  Does anyone know who currently maintains it?  As I
> recall from the Geek Bowl earlier this year in NYC, nobody really knows what
> that bogomips stuff does anyway.

The bogomips code is used to calibrate a timing loop which is used in various
drivers and other places.  Where did you get the idea that nobody knows this?

Charles
Charles Cazabon                            <linux@discworld.dyndns.org>

* Re: Bogomips Replacement
@ 2001-07-10 15:49 ` Richard B. Johnson
From: Richard B. Johnson @ 2001-07-10 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Barr; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Joe Barr wrote:
[SNIPPED...]

> Oh, one more question before I begin.  It is OK to do kernel patches in
> Visual RPG, isn't it?

No! According to the current standard, IEEE-LINUX-2001, patches must
be submitted in IBM-Selectric, triplicate, of course.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

    was handled in the BIOS, I found that there aren't any.

* Re: Bogomips Replacement
@ 2001-07-10 16:12 ` Robert Love
From: Robert Love @ 2001-07-10 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 10 Jul 2001 09:41:13 -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Joe Barr <warthawg@ecpi.com> wrote:
>
> > What I want to do is rip out the bogomips code and replace it with something
> > completely different.  Does anyone know who currently maintains it?  As I
> > recall from the Geek Bowl earlier this year in NYC, nobody really knows what
> > that bogomips stuff does anyway.
>
> The bogomips code is used to calibrate a timing loop which is used in various
> drivers and other places.  Where did you get the idea that nobody knows this?

it was a joke. get it?

--
Robert M. Love
rml at tech9.net
rml at ufl.edu
--
Robert M. Love
rml at ufl.edu
rml at tech9.net

* Re: Bogomips Replacement
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-07-10 17:40 ` Rik van Riel
From: Rik van Riel @ 2001-07-10 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Barr; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Joe Barr wrote:

> I've just finished reading "Teach Yourself Linux Kernel Hacking In 15
> Minutes" and feel like I'm ready to jump into the fray and start
> making contributions.  So, where to start.  I feel like that lady on
> TV, looking for the weakest link.

I'm afraid you have confused linux-kernel with another
mailing list:

	humorix-l@nl.linux.org

(the discussion list for the humorix postings)

Rik

http://www.surriel.com/		http://distro.conectiva.com/

Send all your spam to aardvark@nl.linux.org (spam digging piggy)