* Re: Swapping for diskless nodes
@ 2001-08-09 14:26 Bulent Abali
From: Bulent Abali @ 2001-08-09 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk W. Steinberg; +Cc: Ingo Oeser, linux-kernel, linux-mm, Alan Cox

>In such a scenario I would disagree with Alan that network paging is
>high latency as compared to disk access. I have a fully switched 100 Mpbs
>full-duplex ethernet network, and sending a page across the net into
>the memory of a fast server could have much less latency that writing
>that page out to a local old, slow IDE disk.

Have you actually tried swapping over the network using nbd or any other
network device mounted as a swap disk?  Never mind the latency.  Does it
work at all?  I am curious to know.

Last time I checked swapping over nbd required patching the network stack.
Because swapping occurs when memory is low and when memory is low TCP
doesn't do what you expect it to do...
Bulent

[parent not found: <no.id>]
* Swapping for diskless nodes
@ 2001-08-09  8:51 Dirk W. Steinberg
From: Dirk W. Steinberg @ 2001-08-09  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

what is the best/recommended way to do remote swapping via the network
for diskless workstations or compute nodes in clusters in Linux 2.4?
Last time i checked was linux 2.2, and there were some races related
to network swapping back then. Has this been fixed for 2.4?

What about the following options: Do they work at all? What are the advantages/
disadvantages? What are the performance implications? Race conditions?

1. Swapping via NFS? There was a patch for this for 2.2? Is there such a
   patch for 2.4 as well? Should one use UDP or TCP? NFSv2? NFSv3?

2. Using some sort of network block device (nbd, new nbd, gnbd, drbd,
   possibly others?). Which one to use? I suspect that for performance
   a kernel mode implementation is needed for both client and server.

3. iSCSI. There are several implementations, and I don't know if any of
   these is ready for production use. Both initiator and target
   implementation would be needed because I don't have any native iSCSI
   targets available.

4. Swapping to GFS? Is that possible? Even if GFS is based on gnbd, not FC?

5. Anything else? Maybe some implementation of network memory in the context
   of a cluster computing environment (MOSIX, etc.).

Thanks for any answers.

Cheers,
	Dirk

Ingenieurbüro Dipl.-Ing. Dirk W. Steinberg
Ringstr. 2, D-53567 Buchholz, Germany
Phone: +49-2683-9793-20, fax: -29
Mobile/GSM: +49-170-818-9793
Email: dws@dirksteinberg.de