* filesystem problem
@ 2001-08-02 18:32 daniel sheltraw
From: daniel sheltraw @ 2001-08-02 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello kernel

I am having a fsck problem and do not know how to solve it most
effectively.  I am running 2.2.14 (Redhat 6.2). When booting I
get the following message:

Checking root filesystem /dev/hda5 contains a file system with errors,
   check forced.
/dev/hda5
Unattached inode 198516

/dev/hda5: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY. (ie., without
        -a or -p options)

Can someone please tell me how to use fsck to fix this
filesystem problem? Also if you know of a better place to
post such questions (kernel development list hardly seems
appropriate) would you please tell me where.

Thanks,
Daniel

* Re: filesystem problem
@ 2001-08-02 18:41 ` Garett Spencley
From: Garett Spencley @ 2001-08-02 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: daniel sheltraw; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Checking root filesystem /dev/hda5 contains a file system with errors,
>    check forced.
> /dev/hda5
> Unattached inode 198516
>
> /dev/hda5: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY. (ie., without
>         -a or -p options)
>
> Can someone please tell me how to use fsck to fix this
> filesystem problem? Also if you know of a better place to
> post such questions (kernel development list hardly seems
> appropriate) would you please tell me where.

# fsck /dev/hda5

Visit www.kernelnewbies.org for a place to go for these kinds of
questions. It's an irc channel with people that can help out with these
kinds of problems.

--
Garett Spencley

I encourage you to encrypt e-mail sent to me using PGP
My public key is available on PGP key servers (http://keyservers.net)
Key fingerprint: 8062 1A46 9719 C929 578C BB4E 7799 EC1A AB12 D3B9

* Re: filesystem problem
@ 2001-08-02 18:44   ` Garett Spencley
From: Garett Spencley @ 2001-08-02 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: daniel sheltraw; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Visit www.kernelnewbies.org for a place to go for these kinds of
> questions. It's an irc channel with people that can help out with these
> kinds of problems.

Err... sorry. Didn't check before posting. That's kernel hacking related
stuff, not appropriate. Go to linuxnewbies.org for help on stuff like
that.