* Re: davicom 9102 and linux 2.5
@ 2002-05-18 18:18 ` Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo @ 2002-05-18 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: casdcsdc sdfccsdcsd; +Cc: linux-kernel

Em Sat, May 18, 2002 at 04:58:54PM -0700, casdcsdc sdfccsdcsd escreveu:
> I just tryed to comile and install the 2.5 linux kernel, and I noticed
> something that compleatly stumped me, as well as pissed me off. YOU TOOK OUT
> THE DRIVER FOR DAVICOM 9102 NETWORK CARD! WHY?!? it doesnt make any sense,
> when you make a new version, you ADD FEATURES, YOU DONT TAKE THEM OUT!

Calm down casdcsdc! :) Look at the docs (and grep the sources ;) )... it seems
it is now supported by the tulip driver, see:

drivers/net/tulip/ChangeLog
drivers/net/tulip/dmfe.c

>From Documentation/networking/dmfe.txt

        A Davicom DM9102(A)/DM9132/DM9801 fast ethernet driver for Linux.

Suggestion to tulip maintainer: if this is the case, make a note in
Documentation/networking/dmfe.txt, that is still in the kernel, but beware,
the 2.5 tree I'm using is not the latest...

- Arnaldo

* davicom 9102 and linux 2.5
@ 2002-05-18 23:58 casdcsdc sdfccsdcsd
From: casdcsdc sdfccsdcsd @ 2002-05-18 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I just tryed to comile and install the 2.5 linux
kernel, and I noticed something that compleatly
stumped me, as well as pissed me off. YOU TOOK OUT THE
DRIVER FOR DAVICOM 9102 NETWORK CARD! WHY?!? it doesnt
make any sense, when you make a new version, you ADD
FEATURES, YOU DONT TAKE THEM OUT!

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com

* Re: davicom 9102 and linux 2.5
@ 2002-05-19  9:06   ` Tobias Ringstrom
From: Tobias Ringstrom @ 2002-05-19  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

On Sat, 18 May 2002, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:

> Em Sat, May 18, 2002 at 04:58:54PM -0700, casdcsdc sdfccsdcsd escreveu:
> > I just tryed to comile and install the 2.5 linux kernel, and I noticed
> > something that compleatly stumped me, as well as pissed me off. YOU TOOK OUT
> > THE DRIVER FOR DAVICOM 9102 NETWORK CARD! WHY?!? it doesnt make any sense,
> > when you make a new version, you ADD FEATURES, YOU DONT TAKE THEM OUT!
>
> Calm down casdcsdc! :) Look at the docs (and grep the sources ;) )... it seems
> it is now supported by the tulip driver, see:

That has been true for a long time.  The only difference is that the
driver has been moved to drivers/net/tulip/dmfe.c and the configure option
has been hidden under Network device support / "Tulip" family network
device support".

Jeff, would you care to enlighten us as to why this was done?  To educate
users that the Davicom chip is really a (bad) tulip clone?

Are you planning to reorgonize the "Network device support" menu as a
whole?  It's a mess.

/Tobias

* Re: davicom 9102 and linux 2.5
@ 2002-05-19 13:11 ` Zwane Mwaikambo
From: Zwane Mwaikambo @ 2002-05-19 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: casdcsdc sdfccsdcsd; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 18 May 2002, casdcsdc sdfccsdcsd wrote:

> it doesnt make any sense, when you make a new version, you ADD
> FEATURES, YOU DONT TAKE THEM OUT!

Thats an interesting concept... =)

--
http://function.linuxpower.ca

* Re: davicom 9102 and linux 2.5
@ 2002-05-19 14:56     ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2002-05-19 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Ringstrom
  Cc: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, casdcsdc sdfccsdcsd,
	Kernel Mailing List, Jeff Garzik

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 11:06:30AM +0200, Tobias Ringstrom wrote:
> Jeff, would you care to enlighten us as to why this was done?  To educate
> users that the Davicom chip is really a (bad) tulip clone?

The move was mainly motivated by long term programmer direction, not a
Config.in user interface change (which in hindsight could have been
done better).

Davicom and other tulip-related files are being organized into
drivers/net/tulip, and eventually they will be sharing code from a
tulip_lib.c file or similar.

My long term idea is to have a shared lib providing the core for drivers
which support:
21040/1 chips
21140/2/3 chips
Xircom chips
...and then all other tulip clones will probably be rolled into a
"tulip_clone.c".

i.e. organize the tulip chips into major families, with a central
tulip_lib.c from which they all share code.

	Jeff