* input layer - activate keyboard
@ 2002-10-02  5:48 Dennis Björklund
From: Dennis Björklund @ 2002-10-02  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I see there is a lot of talk about a new input layer so why not some
more!

I have an IBM Rapid Access keyboard that needs to be sent an activation
code to activate the multimedia keys at startup. Is there support for
this? I would not be surprised if there where other input devices who also
needs commands sent to them.

I am very used to this keyboard and I wouldn't want to exchange it, so
even though I have not yet tried 2.5.x I'll probably do it just for this.

--
/Dennis

* Re: input layer - activate keyboard
@ 2002-10-02  6:20 ` Dave Hansen
From: Dave Hansen @ 2002-10-02  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Björklund; +Cc: linux-kernel

Dennis Björklund wrote:
> I have an IBM Rapid Access keyboard that needs to be sent an activation
> code to activate the multimedia keys at startup. Is there support for
> this? I would not be surprised if there where other input devices who also
> needs commands sent to them.

I have an "IBM Rapidaccess II" keyboard with a few miscellaneous keys
in the top and center, with a few more CD-player type controls in the
upper left.  You don't need an "activation code", just something to
handle its funny scancodes.  I use hotkeys to manage it.  There's a
Debian package for it:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/x11/hotkeys.html

--
Dave Hansen
haveblue@us.ibm.com

* Re: input layer - activate keyboard
@ 2002-10-02  6:48   ` Dennis Björklund
From: Dennis Björklund @ 2002-10-02  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Hansen; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Dave Hansen wrote:

> I have an "IBM Rapidaccess II" keyboard with a few miscellaneous keys
> in the top and center, with a few more CD-player type controls in the
> upper left.  You don't need an "activation code", just something to
> handle its funny scancodes.

For the Rapid Access I you do need activation codes otherwise the keys
produce nothing.

See http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-2.html#ss2.28

--

@ 2002-10-05 19:58 ` Vojtech Pavlik
From: Vojtech Pavlik @ 2002-10-05 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Bj?rklund; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 07:48:16AM +0200, Dennis Bj?rklund wrote:
> I see there is a lot of talk about a new input layer so why not some
> more!
>
> I have an IBM Rapid Access keyboard that needs to be sent an activation
> code to activate the multimedia keys at startup. Is there support for
> this? I would not be surprised if there where other input devices who also
> needs commands sent to them.
>
> I am very used to this keyboard and I wouldn't want to exchange it, so
> even though I have not yet tried 2.5.x I'll probably do it just for this.

Yes, the new input code sends this activation, detects the keyboard and
enables the extra keys and LED.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs