* OT: DVD-* owners be warned .  Please see inside .
@ 2002-10-10 13:57 Mr. James W. Laferriere
From: Mr. James W. Laferriere @ 2002-10-10 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel Maillist

	Hello All ,

	Here we go .  Two differant hardware types to prevent users from
	making private backups of items that they have purchased .  I hope
	that somewhere in the community there is a methodology to
	circumvent this stupidity .

	Below is a snippet from the URL below this :

	Why are there two formats? The key reason for the introduction of
	DVD-R for General media is that it contains content protection
	measures that make it physically impossible to make a bit-for-bit
	copies of CSS encrypted entertainment titles.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/Files/DVDRMedia-GeneralvsAuthoring.pdf

		Hth ,  JimL
       | James   W.   Laferriere | System    Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer |     P.O. Box 854     |  Give me Linux  |
       | babydr@baby-dragons.com | Coudersport PA 16915 |   only  on  AXP |

* Re: OT: DVD-* owners be warned .  Please see inside .
@ 2002-10-29 22:13 ` Stefan Smietanowski
From: Stefan Smietanowski @ 2002-10-29 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mr. James W. Laferriere; +Cc: Linux Kernel Maillist

Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> 	Hello All ,
>
> 	Here we go .  Two differant hardware types to prevent users from
> 	making private backups of items that they have purchased .  I hope
> 	that somewhere in the community there is a methodology to
> 	circumvent this stupidity .
>
> 	Below is a snippet from the URL below this :
>
> 	Why are there two formats? The key reason for the introduction of
> 	DVD-R for General media is that it contains content protection
> 	measures that make it physically impossible to make a bit-for-bit
> 	copies of CSS encrypted entertainment titles.
>
> http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/Files/DVDRMedia-GeneralvsAuthoring.pdf

Thought I'd point out that this is old news. Very old in fact.

This was set when the DVD-R standard was put in place ...

Or actually, shortly thereafter.

At first there was only one standard, DVD-R. Now there are two at
different wavelengths, DVD For General (cannot copy css encrypted
things) and DVD-R For Authoring which can but those discs cost a lot
more. DVD-R was renamed DVD-R For Authoring.

// Stefan