* linux kernel conf 0.9
@ 2002-10-14 20:06 Roman Zippel
From: Roman Zippel @ 2002-10-14 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kbuild-devel, linux-kernel

Hi,

At http://www.xs4all.nl/~zippel/lc/ you can find as usual the latest
version of the new config system.
I still haven't got a single mail from someone who tried it and didn't
like it, what makes me a bit nervous :), so if you think something must
be wrong, now is your last chance. Next version will go to Linus.
Changes:
- as alternative suggestion for the config name I used "Kconfig" this
time. I tried "Config", but somehow that's terrible to do find for, as
one gets to many false positives. Even with a capital 'C' there are
still these:
Documentation/networking/Configurable
scripts/Configure
(ok, the latter will go away :) ).
- kbuild fixes (many thanks to Sam Ravnborg), I only added the clean
targets.
- the back end is now generated as shared library and loaded by qconf at
run time.
- small syntax change: "depends on", "requires" is also accepted besides
"depends", generated is "depends on".
- conf displays the help text again.
- the behaviour difference in qconf between qt2 and qt3, when all
symbols are shown, is fixed.

bye, Roman

* Re: [kbuild-devel] linux kernel conf 0.9
@ 2002-10-14 20:40 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2002-10-14 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Zippel; +Cc: kbuild-devel, linux-kernel

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 10:06:35PM +0200, Roman Zippel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At http://www.xs4all.nl/~zippel/lc/ you can find as usual the latest
> version of the new config system.
> I still haven't got a single mail from someone who tried it and didn't
> like it, what makes me a bit nervous :), so if you think something must
> be wrong, now is your last chance. Next version will go to Linus.

I get the following error on Red Hat 7.2:

g++ -O2 -Wall -g -fPIC -I/usr/lib/qt-2.3.1/include -c qconf.cc -o qconf.o
In file included from lkc.h:10,
                 from qconf.cc:22:
zconf.tab.h:8: conflicting types for `typedef union YYSTYPE YYSTYPE'
zconf.tab.h:8: previous declaration as `typedef union YYSTYPE YYSTYPE'
zconf.tab.h:38: conflicting types for `YYSTYPE zconflval'
zconf.tab.h:38: previous declaration as `YYSTYPE zconflval'

when trying to build the lkc package on it's own.

But when using the provided patch, make xconfig built the program just
fine.

Either way, nice job, I like the new format and the speed.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: [kbuild-devel] linux kernel conf 0.9
@ 2002-10-14 21:00   ` Roman Zippel
From: Roman Zippel @ 2002-10-14 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: kbuild-devel, linux-kernel

Hi,

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Greg KH wrote:

> I get the following error on Red Hat 7.2:
>
> g++ -O2 -Wall -g -fPIC -I/usr/lib/qt-2.3.1/include -c qconf.cc -o qconf.o
> In file included from lkc.h:10,
>                  from qconf.cc:22:
> zconf.tab.h:8: conflicting types for `typedef union YYSTYPE YYSTYPE'
> zconf.tab.h:8: previous declaration as `typedef union YYSTYPE YYSTYPE'
> zconf.tab.h:38: conflicting types for `YYSTYPE zconflval'
> zconf.tab.h:38: previous declaration as `YYSTYPE zconflval'
>
> when trying to build the lkc package on it's own.

Hmm, another bison version. :)
Anyway, I've just uploaded a fixed version.

> Either way, nice job, I like the new format and the speed.

Thanks.

bye, Roman

* Re: linux kernel conf 0.9
@ 2002-10-15 13:35 ` Adrian Bunk
From: Adrian Bunk @ 2002-10-15 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Zippel; +Cc: kbuild-devel, linux-kernel

Hi Roman,

I do always get the following segfault:

<--  snip  -->

$ cd /tmp/
$ tar xzf lkc-0.9.tar.gz
$ cd lkc-0.9
$ make
$ cd ~/linux/kernel-2.5
$ tar xzf linux-2.5.42.tar.gz
$ cd linux-2.5.42
$ bzcat /tmp/lkc-0.9-2.5.42.diff.bz2 |patch -p1
$ /tmp/lkc-0.9/lkcc i386
undefined symbol ARCH_ACORN
undefined symbol IA64
undefined symbol BAGET_MIPS
undefined symbol IA32_EMULATION
undefined symbol RPXCLASSIC
undefined symbol IT8172_REVC
recursive dependency: ISDN_DRV_EICON_DIVAS ISDN_DRV_EICON_OLD (choice(2) detected) ISDN_DRV_EICON_DIVAS
recursive dependency: AEDSP16_MSS AEDSP16_SBPRO (choice(1) detected) AEDSP16_MSS
recursive dependency: INPUT_GAMEPORT INPUT_GAMEPORT
recursive dependency: SCSI_AIC7XXX_OLD SCSI_AIC7XXX (choice(2) detected) SCSI_AIC7XXX_OLD AIC7XXX_BUILD_FIRMWARE
Segmentation fault
$

<--  snip  -->

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

* Re: linux kernel conf 0.9
@ 2002-10-15 13:56   ` Roman Zippel
From: Roman Zippel @ 2002-10-15 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Bunk; +Cc: kbuild-devel, linux-kernel

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> recursive dependency: ISDN_DRV_EICON_DIVAS ISDN_DRV_EICON_OLD (choice(2) detected) ISDN_DRV_EICON_DIVAS
> recursive dependency: AEDSP16_MSS AEDSP16_SBPRO (choice(1) detected) AEDSP16_MSS
> recursive dependency: INPUT_GAMEPORT INPUT_GAMEPORT
> recursive dependency: SCSI_AIC7XXX_OLD SCSI_AIC7XXX (choice(2) detected) SCSI_AIC7XXX_OLD AIC7XXX_BUILD_FIRMWARE
> Segmentation fault
> $

You either have to apply the prepare patch or manually remove the
CONFIG_INPUT_GAMEPORT definitions from the config files.
The converter cannot handle unresolved recursive dependencies, this is
fixable, but on the other hand also easy to avoid, so I didn't bother.

bye, Roman

* Re: linux kernel conf 0.9
@ 2002-10-15 14:01   ` Roman Zippel
From: Roman Zippel @ 2002-10-15 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian Bunk; +Cc: kbuild-devel, linux-kernel

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> $ cd /tmp/
> $ tar xzf lkc-0.9.tar.gz
> $ cd lkc-0.9
> $ make
> $ cd ~/linux/kernel-2.5
> $ tar xzf linux-2.5.42.tar.gz
> $ cd linux-2.5.42
> $ bzcat /tmp/lkc-0.9-2.5.42.diff.bz2 |patch -p1
> $ /tmp/lkc-0.9/lkcc i386

Umm, now I see the problem, the patch already contains everything, so you
don't need to convert anything after applying it. If you want to convert
your kernel tree, it's best to use 'make install KERNELSRC=...' target in
lkc.

bye, Roman

* Re: linux kernel conf 0.9
@ 2002-10-15 14:24     ` Adrian Bunk
From: Adrian Bunk @ 2002-10-15 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Zippel; +Cc: kbuild-devel, linux-kernel

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Roman Zippel wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Roman,

> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> > $ cd /tmp/
> > $ tar xzf lkc-0.9.tar.gz
> > $ cd lkc-0.9
> > $ make
> > $ cd ~/linux/kernel-2.5
> > $ tar xzf linux-2.5.42.tar.gz
> > $ cd linux-2.5.42
> > $ bzcat /tmp/lkc-0.9-2.5.42.diff.bz2 |patch -p1
> > $ /tmp/lkc-0.9/lkcc i386
>
> Umm, now I see the problem, the patch already contains everything, so you
> don't need to convert anything after applying it. If you want to convert
> your kernel tree, it's best to use 'make install KERNELSRC=...' target in
> lkc.

ah thanks, that's it. This is the way it's described in lkc.html, I was
only looking at lkc-0.9/README where I didn't find this information...

> bye, Roman

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.