* Mouse/Keyboard hangs..
@ 2003-02-10  8:23 John Clemens
From: John Clemens @ 2003-02-10  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all..

I'm having an issue with my laptop.. the same issue i've had for since I
baught it..  Under linux the mouse (synaptics touchpad) and/or keyboard
will suddenly lock.  All input stops.  I can telnet in and shutdown
cleanly, but that doesn't help recover that I've got on my screen in X (or
the console).

Hardware: HP n5430 laptop, synaptics touchpad, trident XP graphics,
standard low-end laptop.

Here's the really odd part.  When it happens, if i notice quickly enough
and hit the power switch on my laptop for just a split second (not the 5
seconds to power off).. it sometimes comes back!  It's happened twice
while typing this email in pine using a text console (no X, no mouse).
But if I wait too long (a few seconds)...no matter how many times i nudge
the power switch, it never comes back.  Sometimes it's more frequent then
others.. sometimes I'll go for days/weeks without seeing it.

I've been seeing this since I got the laptop, and I've run almost every
2.4.x (x > ~10) and a lot of 2.5 kernels on here (currently, 2.5.54).
The behavior is a little different recently though with the 2.5 series.
Now, sometimes when it comes back, i get the character i was typing
repeated (as if a key was stuck) until i hit another key.  This change
could be related to the new i8042 changes in 2.5, I'm not sure.

I've tried : APIC, no APIC.
	     ACPI, no ACPI.
	     ALI IRQ router, ACPI IRQ router.
	     psmouse_noext command line arg.
	     powernow-ing the CPU down to 500Mhz (850Mhz duron... heat
							related?)

All to no avial.  The only possible reason I can think of that hitting the
power button could help is that triggers ACPI, which uses IRQ 9...
and I seem to remember something about IRQ 2 (cascade) and IRQ 9 (ACPI)
being one in the same, really.. maybe we missed an interrupt somewhere and
hitting the power switch forces IRQ 2 to trigger, somehow triggering IRQ
1 (keyboard) as well?  It's a stretch and my understanding of PC IRQ
logic is sketchy at best.

Does anyone have any ideas?

/proc/interrupts and relevant dmesg output is below the sig..
thanks,
john.c

- --
John Clemens          http://www.deater.net/john
john@deater.net     ICQ: 7175925, IM: PianoManO8
      "I Hate Quotes" -- Samuel L. Clemens

Linux diana 2.5.54 #14 Sat Jan 4 00:02:14 EST 2003 i686 unknown

           CPU0
  0:  615936502          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       4574          XT-PIC  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
 11:   24012204          XT-PIC  eth0
 12:         52          XT-PIC  i8042
 14:     285204          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:     628739          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
LOC:          0
ERR:          0

dmesg:
ACPI: RSDP (v000 PTLTD                      ) @ 0x000f7c20
ACPI: RSDT (v001 PTLTD    RSDT   01540.00000) @ 0x0fffcc46
ACPI: FADT (v001 ALI    M1533    01540.00000) @ 0x0fffef64
ACPI: BOOT (v001 PTLTD  $SBFTBL$ 01540.00000) @ 0x0fffefd8
ACPI: DSDT (v001 COMPAL      736 01540.00000) @ 0x00000000
ACPI: BIOS passes blacklist
ACPI: MADT not present
Building zonelist for node : 0
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=Linux ro root=305 ide0=ata66 psmouse_noext=1
ide_setup: ide0=ata66
Local APIC disabled by BIOS -- reenabling.
Found and enabled local APIC!
Initializing CPU#0
Detected 849.376 MHz processor.
Enabling disabled K7/SSE Support.
CPU: L1 I Cache: 64K (64 bytes/line), D cache 64K (64 bytes/line)
CPU: L2 Cache: 64K (64 bytes/line)
CPU:     After generic, caps: 0383fbff c1c7fbff 00000000 00000000
Intel machine check architecture supported.
Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#0.
Machine check exception polling timer started.
CPU: AMD mobile AMD Duron(tm) Processor stepping 01
device class 'input': registering
register interface 'mouse' with class 'input'
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
register interface 'event' with class 'input'
input: PS/2 Generic Mouse on isa0060/serio1
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
input: AT Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1

* Re: Mouse/Keyboard hangs..
@ 2003-02-10 16:02 ` Bernd Schubert
From: Bernd Schubert @ 2003-02-10 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Clemens, linux-kernel

Hi,

did you also try to disable apm (so disable acpi and apm) ?

On my thinpad R31 a loop reading of /proc/apm makes mouses and keyboard usage
almost impossible (it is said that its the fault of the BIOS), perhaps your
problem is related.

Bernd

* Re: Mouse/Keyboard hangs..
@ 2003-02-10 17:22 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-02-10 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Clemens; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi!

> I'm having an issue with my laptop.. the same issue i've had for since I
> baught it..  Under linux the mouse (synaptics touchpad) and/or keyboard
> will suddenly lock.  All input stops.  I can telnet in and shutdown
> cleanly, but that doesn't help recover that I've got on my screen in X (or
> the console).
>
> Hardware: HP n5430 laptop, synaptics touchpad, trident XP graphics,
> standard low-end laptop.
>
> Here's the really odd part.  When it happens, if i notice quickly enough
> and hit the power switch on my laptop for just a split second (not the 5
> seconds to power off).. it sometimes comes back!  It's happened twice
> while typing this email in pine using a text console (no X, no mouse).
> But if I wait too long (a few seconds)...no matter how many times i nudge
> the power switch, it never comes back.  Sometimes it's more frequent then
> others.. sometimes I'll go for days/weeks without seeing it.

Strange.. I have something very similar on hp omnibook xe3 here,
except that:

1) I do not think it responds to the net when hung

2) it *allways* recovers after power button

3) it seems to only happen in 2.5.X here, maybe it has something to do
with ACPI?

> The behavior is a little different recently though with the 2.5 series.
> Now, sometimes when it comes back, i get the character i was typing
> repeated (as if a key was stuck) until i hit another key.  This change
> could be related to the new i8042 changes in 2.5, I'm not sure.

Mine remembers up to few keystrokes I was typing...

								Pavel
--
Worst form of spam? Adding advertisment signatures ala sourceforge.net.
What goes next? Inserting advertisment *into* email?

* Re: Mouse/Keyboard hangs..
@ 2003-02-10 18:39   ` John Clemens
From: John Clemens @ 2003-02-10 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernd Schubert; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi Bernd,

Unfortunately, yes, I've tried without APM too.  also, I don't have any
programs running that query apm or acpi.  Thanks for the suggestion
though.. any others?

john.c

--

@ 2003-02-11 17:40   ` John Clemens
From: John Clemens @ 2003-02-11 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi Pavel..

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
> Strange.. I have something very similar on hp omnibook xe3 here,
> except that:

The XE3 is approximately the same model.  Is yours AMD or Intel based? I
seem to remember there was even an AMD-based "omnibook xe3" that was the
exact same laptop rebranded...  but there were also P3 ones.  To give you
an idea of how close they were, I flashed my bios with (appearently) the
wrong bios, and my machine thought it was an omnibook xe3 for a long time
;) (until it went if for service and they flashed it back)

full specs for mine: http://www.deateer.net/john/PavilionN5430.html

> 1) I do not think it responds to the net when hung

I haven't tried in a loooooong time.  I'll have to try if/when it happens
again.  It's just easier to big-red-switch it, since ext2 and ext3 are soo
good about powerdowns :)

> 2) it *allways* recovers after power button

I'd say mine does about 80% of the time.

> 3) it seems to only happen in 2.5.X here, maybe it has something to do
> with ACPI?

I've seen it in both 2.4 and 2.5.. but it seems to happen more frequently
in 2.5.  I've tried to booting with "acpi=off, pci=noacpi" and it still
happens :(.. Or were you suggesting it has something to do with the
hardware/firmware that implements ACPI?

FWIW, on the HP user support forums for pavilions, people were
complaining about "mouse locking up" under windows...and those were cured
with an updated synaptics driver.  however, they never mentioned a
keyboard lock, and I -know- I've seen errors when nothing's even touching
the mouse.. ie, on the console, without GPM running.

> > The behavior is a little different recently though with the 2.5 series.
> > Now, sometimes when it comes back, i get the character i was typing
> > repeated (as if a key was stuck) until i hit another key.  This change
> > could be related to the new i8042 changes in 2.5, I'm not sure.
>
> Mine remembers up to few keystrokes I was typing...

Mine does too..but repeats the last one occasionally.

john.c

* Re: Mouse/Keyboard hangs..
@ 2003-02-12 14:45     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-02-12 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Clemens; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi!

> > Strange.. I have something very similar on hp omnibook xe3 here,
> > except that:
>
> The XE3 is approximately the same model.  Is yours AMD or Intel based? I
> seem to remember there was even an AMD-based "omnibook xe3" that was
> > the

Mine is "AMD-based".

> > 2) it *allways* recovers after power button
>
> I'd say mine does about 80% of the time.
>
> > 3) it seems to only happen in 2.5.X here, maybe it has something to do
> > with ACPI?
>
> I've seen it in both 2.4 and 2.5.. but it seems to happen more frequently
> in 2.5.  I've tried to booting with "acpi=off, pci=noacpi" and it still
> happens :(.. Or were you suggesting it has something to do with the
> hardware/firmware that implements ACPI?

Actually, it *probably* also happened in 2.4 with apm, but it always
recovered automagically within second or so -- so it was "damn that
machine is unresponsive" not "keyboard failed again, time for power
button".

> FWIW, on the HP user support forums for pavilions, people were
> complaining about "mouse locking up" under windows...and those were cured
> with an updated synaptics driver.  however, they never mentioned a
> keyboard lock, and I -know- I've seen errors when nothing's even touching
> the mouse.. ie, on the console, without GPM running.

Same here. But I also see it happening while *only* using mouse.

> > Mine remembers up to few keystrokes I was typing...
>
> Mine does too..but repeats the last one occasionally.

Yes, it can buffer only so-many keys and if the last one it *can*
remember is press, you get an autorepeat.
							Pavel
--
Casualities in World Trade Center: ~3k dead inside the building,
cryptography in U.S.A. and free speech in Czech Republic.