* sisfb: two more little problems
@ 2003-03-27  0:06 Torrey Hoffman
From: Torrey Hoffman @ 2003-03-27  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Simmons; +Cc: Linux Kernel

Besides the problems with mode switching with fbcon, I have two other
problems with sisfb:

1. My gpm mouse cursor on the framebuffer console is a cyan rectangle
with a bright orange "G" in it.  Actually the G has a "^" accent over
it.  That's just when it's over a blank spot.  When I move it over other
characters, the character in the pointer changes.  However, it does work
for selecting text.

2. I can't seem to set the default video mode from the kernel command
line.  I have tried:

video=sis:1024x768-24@75
video=sisfb:1024x768-24@75

and neither one works.  What is the expected command line?

Torrey Hoffman <thoffman@arnor.net>

* Re: sisfb: two more little problems
@ 2003-03-27  0:22 ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2003-03-27  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torrey Hoffman; +Cc: Linux Kernel

> Besides the problems with mode switching with fbcon, I have two other
> problems with sisfb:
>
> 1. My gpm mouse cursor on the framebuffer console is a cyan rectangle
> with a bright orange "G" in it.  Actually the G has a "^" accent over
> it.  That's just when it's over a blank spot.  When I move it over other
> characters, the character in the pointer changes.  However, it does work
> for selecting text.

Try my latest patch. It should fix this.

http://phoenix.infradead.org/~jsimmons/fbdev.diff.gz

Let me know how it works out for you.

> 2. I can't seem to set the default video mode from the kernel command
> line.  I have tried:
>
> video=sis:1024x768-24@75
> video=sisfb:1024x768-24@75
>
> and neither one works.  What is the expected command line?

It is video=sisfb:...

Hm. It should work.

* Re: sisfb: two more little problems
@ 2003-03-27  0:58   ` Moritz Muehlenhoff
From: Moritz Muehlenhoff @ 2003-03-27  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

James Simmons wrote:
>> 2. I can't seem to set the default video mode from the kernel command
>> line.  I have tried:
>>
>> video=sis:1024x768-24@75
>> video=sisfb:1024x768-24@75
>>
>> and neither one works.  What is the expected command line?
>
> It is video=sisfb:...
>
> Hm. It should work.

The sisfb parameter syntax is a bit tricky, it's explained at the
maintainer's website:

http://www.webit.at/~twinny/linuxsisvga.shtml

* Re: sisfb: two more little problems
@ 2003-03-27  2:37   ` Torrey Hoffman
From: Torrey Hoffman @ 2003-03-27  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Simmons; +Cc: Linux Kernel

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 16:22, James Simmons wrote:
> > Besides the problems with mode switching with fbcon, I have two other
> > problems with sisfb:
> >
> > 1. My gpm mouse cursor on the framebuffer console is a cyan rectangle
> > with a bright orange "G" in it.  Actually the G has a "^" accent over
> > it.  That's just when it's over a blank spot.  When I move it over other
> > characters, the character in the pointer changes.  However, it does work
> > for selecting text.
>
> Try my latest patch. It should fix this.

Well, not quite.  The problem is still there.  I have checked it a
little more closely though, and noticed that it isn't always there.
Some virtual consoles have the problem and some don't.  It seems like
before I log in on a console, there's no problem.  And sometimes even
after logging in it is OK, but usually after I log in the green and
orange framebuffer mousepointer starts.

This is Red Hat 8.0, by the way.  I think it does something to the
console when I log in, the screen usually blanks for a second after I
enter the login password and before the bash prompt appears.

> > video=sisfb:1024x768-24@75
> >
> > and neither one works.  What is the expected command line?
>
> It is video=sisfb:...
>
> Hm. It should work.

I found the sisfb web page and it is:
video=sisfb:mode:1024x768x24