* keep the linux logo displayed
@ 2003-07-21 15:55 Ludovic Drolez
From: Ludovic Drolez @ 2003-07-21 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi !

I wondered if anyone knows about a 2 lines patch, to keep the linux logo
always displayed in a 2.5.x / 2.6.x kernel ??
I've tried to patch a few lines in fbcon.c, without success :-(

Ludovic DROLEZ                                       Free&ALter Soft
152, rue de Grigy - Technopole Metz 2000                  57070 METZ
tel : 03 87 75 55 21                            fax : 03 87 75 19 26

* Re: keep the linux logo displayed
@ 2003-07-21 16:54 ` James Simmons
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: James Simmons @ 2003-07-21 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Drolez; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Hi !
>
> I wondered if anyone knows about a 2 lines patch, to keep the linux logo
> always displayed in a 2.5.x / 2.6.x kernel ??
> I've tried to patch a few lines in fbcon.c, without success :-(

That wouldn't be easy to do. In struct vc_data (data about VC tty device)
you have vc_top and vc_bottom. Normally vc_top is 0 and vc_bottom is that
last row on your screen. For the logo we move vc_top down a little bit.
The problem is after we start minigetty on the various /dev/ttyX as soon
as you VC switch you reintialize the screen to the standard behavior of
vc_top = 0 and vc_bottom is the last row. It would take hacks to the upper
console layer to do that.
	You can write a userland app to do this. There are esc sequence
that change vc_top. You could even alter minigetty if you want.

* Re: keep the linux logo displayed
@ 2003-07-24  9:33   ` Ludovic Drolez
From: Ludovic Drolez @ 2003-07-24  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Simmons; +Cc: linux-kernel

James Simmons wrote:
> 	You can write a userland app to do this. There are esc sequence
> that change vc_top. You could even alter minigetty if you want.

Many thanks for the esc sequence hint !
But it seems there's something broken with it: if I send 'esc[10;20r'
- the scrolling region is now between lines 10 and 20
- but, the cursor is moved to 0,0 instead of line 10
- and the linux logo does not appear...

Bug or feature ??

--

@ 2003-08-11 12:44   ` Ludovic Drolez
From: Ludovic Drolez @ 2003-08-11 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

@ 2003-08-11 17:25     ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2003-08-11 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Drolez; +Cc: linux-kernel

> > 	You can write a userland app to do this. There are esc sequence
> > that change vc_top. You could even alter minigetty if you want.
>
> Many thanks for the esc sequence hint !
> But it seems there's something broken with it: if I send 'esc[10;20r'
> - the scrolling region is now between lines 10 and 20

Seem right with the esc you used.

> - but, the cursor is moved to 0,0 instead of line 10

Hum. I have to look into that.

> - and the linux logo does not appear...

Bug. Fixed in the latest kernel.

> Bug or feature ??

* keep the linux logo displayed on 2.6.7
@ 2004-09-14 12:31   ` Ludovic Drolez
From: Ludovic Drolez @ 2004-09-14 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi !

One year ago, I wanted to find a way to keep the linux logo displayed, and I
posted this:

Many thanks for the esc sequence hint !
But it seems there's something broken with it: if I send 'esc[10;20r'
- the scrolling region is now between lines 10 and 20
- but, the cursor is moved to 0,0 instead of line 10
- and the linux logo does not appear...
Bug or feature ??

James Simmons said 'Bug. Fixed in the latest kernel.', but with a 2.6.7, the
escape sequence has the same behavior and the logo does not appear. (cursor
moved to 0,0 instead of line 10).

Any ideas on how to really fix that bug ?

Cheers,

--
Ludovic DROLEZ                                       Free&ALter Soft
152, rue de Grigy - Technopole Metz 2000                  57070 METZ
tel : 03 87 75 55 21                            fax : 03 87 75 19 26

* 2.6.12: yukon2 nics still not supported...
@ 2005-07-13 14:34     ` Ludovic Drolez
From: Ludovic Drolez @ 2005-07-13 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi !

I recently had to boot a brand new system using a Marvel Yukon2 NIC (sk98lin)
driver which is not supported by the latest kernel (pci ids = 11ab:4361).

So I compiled the GPLed driver available from Syskonnect,
http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/d0102_driver.html, which
works perfectly.

So, I wonder why the sk98lin driver is not up to date in the 2.6.x kernels ?

Cheers,

--
Ludovic DROLEZ                              Linbox / Free&ALter Soft
www.linbox.com www.linbox.org

* Re: 2.6.12: yukon2 nics still not supported...
@ 2005-07-14  6:30       ` Daniel Drake
From: Daniel Drake @ 2005-07-14  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Drolez; +Cc: linux-kernel

Ludovic Drolez wrote:
> I recently had to boot a brand new system using a Marvel Yukon2 NIC
> (sk98lin) driver which is not supported by the latest kernel (pci ids =
> 11ab:4361).
>
> So I compiled the GPLed driver available from Syskonnect,
> http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/d0102_driver.html,
> which works perfectly.
>
> So, I wonder why the sk98lin driver is not up to date in the 2.6.x
> kernels ?

The recent updates to sk98lin do not adhere to Linux coding standards so have
been rejected by the network driver maintainers.

Most of sk98lin has been reimplemented as the skge driver, to be included in
2.6.13. This driver covers the original yukon cards.

In time, another new driver will be written for the yukon-II range. To assist,
you could write to the linux-netdev mailing list, offering to test any new
drivers once they go into development.

Daniel