* Syscalls being obsoleted???
@ 2003-11-07 11:39 Maciej Zenczykowski
From: Maciej Zenczykowski @ 2003-11-07 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I read somewhere that (all) syscalls (as in the method of calling them)
are being obsoleted, unfortunately this makes for a rather poor search
term.
Thus the question: is this true and with what is this being replaced?
[just a link would be sufficient]

Thanks,
MaZe.

* Re: Syscalls being obsoleted???
@ 2003-11-08 11:49 ` bert hubert
From: bert hubert @ 2003-11-08 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 12:39:16PM +0100, Maciej Zenczykowski wrote:
> I read somewhere that (all) syscalls (as in the method of calling them)
> are being obsoleted, unfortunately this makes for a rather poor search
> term.
> Thus the question: is this true and with what is this being replaced?
> [just a link would be sufficient]

Your source may be mixed up with sysenter, try googling on that.
Or: http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/531/1996

Good luck!

@ 2003-11-08 19:21   ` Tomasz Torcz
From: Tomasz Torcz @ 2003-11-08 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 12:39:16PM +0100, Maciej Zenczykowski wrote:
> > I read somewhere that (all) syscalls (as in the method of calling them)
> > are being obsoleted, unfortunately this makes for a rather poor search
> > term.
> > Thus the question: is this true and with what is this being replaced?
> > [just a link would be sufficient]

I think that he meant this phrase in post-halloween-2.5.txt:
#v+
- Calling syscalls by numeric values is deprecated, and will go away
  in the next development series.
#v-

What is new way of calling syscalls?

--
Tomasz Torcz                Only gods can safely risk perfection,
zdzichu@irc.-nie.spam-.pl     it's a dangerous thing for a man.  -- Alia

@ 2003-11-08 19:32     ` bert hubert
From: bert hubert @ 2003-11-08 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 08:21:13PM +0100, Tomasz Torcz wrote:

> I think that he meant this phrase in post-halloween-2.5.txt:
> #v+
> - Calling syscalls by numeric values is deprecated, and will go away
>   in the next development series.
> #v-
>
> What is new way of calling syscalls?

I think this should be sysctls.

* Re: Syscalls being obsoleted???
@ 2003-11-09  0:24     ` Robert Love
From: Robert Love @ 2003-11-09  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomasz Torcz, davej

On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 14:21, Tomasz Torcz wrote:

> I think that he meant this phrase in post-halloween-2.5.txt:
> #v+
> - Calling syscalls by numeric values is deprecated, and will go away
>   in the next development series.
> #v-
>
> What is new way of calling syscalls?

I think Dave means "sysctl" here, not syscalls.

Dave, this probably needs changing in the post-halloween-2.5.txt
document.

	Robert Love

* Re: Syscalls being obsoleted???
@ 2003-11-09 17:39       ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2003-11-09 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Love
	Maciej Zenczykowski

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 07:24:59PM -0500, Robert Love wrote:
 > > I think that he meant this phrase in post-halloween-2.5.txt:
 > > #v+
 > > - Calling syscalls by numeric values is deprecated, and will go away
 > >   in the next development series.
 > > #v-
 > >
 > > What is new way of calling syscalls?
 >
 > I think Dave means "sysctl" here, not syscalls.

I did.

 > Dave, this probably needs changing in the post-halloween-2.5.txt
 > document.

I did.
Yet again, that amusing case appears where a thinko has been there
for months without anyone noticing, and once I've fixed it everyone
and his dog spots it 8-)

		Dave