* Mailinglist problems?
@ 2003-04-28 10:23 Oliver Feiler
From: Oliver Feiler @ 2003-04-28 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: signed data --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 984 bytes --]

Hi,

as of late I'm getting a lot of messages with a couple of days(!) delay
delivered. Others from the same thread come in with no noticable delay.

For example

From:	Steven Whitehouse <steve@gw.chygwyn.com>
Subject: Re: 2.5.68: net/decnet/dn_route.c doesn't compile

got stuck five days in some queue

	id S263532AbTDWTdt (ORCPT <rfc822;kiza@gmx.net>);
	Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:33:49 -0400

Replies to this came in long before. Anyone else having these sort of problems
lately or should I go flame my email provider? :)

Bye

--
Oliver Feiler  <kiza@(kcore.de|lionking.org|gmx[pro].net)>
http://kiza.kcore.de/    <--    homepage

[-- Attachment #2: signature --]

* Re: Mailinglist problems?
@ 2003-04-28 11:24 ` Matti Aarnio
From: Matti Aarnio @ 2003-04-28 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Feiler; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 12:23:44PM +0200, Oliver Feiler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as of late I'm getting a lot of messages with a couple of days(!) delay
> delivered. Others from the same thread come in with no noticable delay.

  For some reason (while I was away from network),  GMX.NET  servers
  have decided that  vger.kernel.org  is mail-bombing recipients.

  There are some 30-40 recipients of  linux-kernel  list at GMX.NET,
  and there are (varying) 100-300 emails per day for each of them.

> For example
> Replies to this came in long before. Anyone else having these sort of problems
> lately or should I go flame my email provider? :)

  I forwarded to you, and all other GMX.NET domain subscribers the letter
  I have already sent to   postmaster@gmx.net  -- but you (as their
  customers) may have more weight that an external nobody, like myself...

  Most common troubles that users have are:
    - "Relaying denied"  (in its many forms
	  -->   http://vger.kernel.org/mxverify.html )
    - "Mailbox full"  (these lists are of HIGH VOLUME!)
    - DNS-lookup/connection timed out for 4+ days

  Then come various weird things, like overzealous reg-expr message
  content filters, broken MTA configurations  (don't people ever
  test that their changes do work ?),  etc...

> Bye
> --
> Oliver Feiler  <kiza@(kcore.de|lionking.org|gmx[pro].net)>
> http://kiza.kcore.de/    <--    homepage
> PGP-key      -->    /pgpkey.shtml
> http://kiza.kcore.de/journal/

/Matti Aarnio  -- co-postmaster of vger.kernel.org

* Re: Mailinglist problems?
@ 2003-04-28 11:35   ` Oliver Feiler
From: Oliver Feiler @ 2003-04-28 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matti Aarnio; +Cc: linux-kernel

[-- Attachment #1: signed data --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1396 bytes --]

Hi,

On Monday 28 April 2003 13:24, Matti Aarnio wrote:

>   For some reason (while I was away from network),  GMX.NET  servers
>   have decided that  vger.kernel.org  is mail-bombing recipients.

Ugh, not good. Ok, I switched of that mail-bombing filter. Let's see if it
makes a difference.

>   I forwarded to you, and all other GMX.NET domain subscribers the letter
>   I have already sent to   postmaster@gmx.net  -- but you (as their
>   customers) may have more weight that an external nobody, like myself...
>
>   Most common troubles that users have are:
>     - "Relaying denied"  (in its many forms
> 	  -->   http://vger.kernel.org/mxverify.html )
>     - "Mailbox full"  (these lists are of HIGH VOLUME!)
>     - DNS-lookup/connection timed out for 4+ days
>
>   Then come various weird things, like overzealous reg-expr message
>   content filters, broken MTA configurations  (don't people ever
>   test that their changes do work ?),  etc...

Ok, I'll try contacting their support about this. That filter never was a
problem earlier, maybe they changed something that f*cked it up. Hey, I have
a paid account there, maybe they listen to me. ;)

Thanks for the quick reply.

--

@ 2003-04-28 12:25     ` Maciej Soltysiak
From: Maciej Soltysiak @ 2003-04-28 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Feiler; +Cc: Matti Aarnio, linux-kernel

> >   Most common troubles that users have are:
> >     - "Relaying denied"  (in its many forms
> > 	  -->   http://vger.kernel.org/mxverify.html )
Btw. I tried mxverify script on my SMTP.
At the bottom it says:

Testing server at address: IPv6 3ffe:8320:2:18::57

ERROR: Failed to create AF_INET6 type socket! err='Address family not
supported by protocol'

I am IP6 enabled, so is my SMTP, so it appears that host the script is
running is not ip6 enabled.

Just letting you know.

Regards,
Maciej

* [OT] Re: Mailinglist problems?
@ 2003-04-28 14:30   ` Stephen Satchell
From: Stephen Satchell @ 2003-04-28 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matti Aarnio, Oliver Feiler; +Cc: linux-kernel

At 02:24 PM 4/28/03 +0300, Matti Aarnio wrote:
>   Then come various weird things, like overzealous reg-expr message
>   content filters, broken MTA configurations  (don't people ever
>   test that their changes do work ?),  etc...

Smaller operators and a number of company Intranets have SysAdmins who
don't have a clue how to test changes in their configuration.  They don't
have "outside" accounts, not even ones a Yahoo or other web-mail places, so
they can't evaluate their changes.  They also run exactly one mail server
suite, the production servers, and make changes willy-nilly to the live
system without fear of consequences.  (Smart mail admins have a test server
and a way of exercising it -- Mail Admin 101.)

So many clueless Mail Admins I've seen have strange letters, like MCSE,
after their name.  Also RHCE, I'm sorry to say.  (It's amazing how many
people put stock in certification, only to learn that it's no bar to true
twits.  Any sorry tech who knows how to take exams can get most of the
first- and second-level certifications with ease.  Still sorry admins, but
sorry admins with paper.)

Developers haven't helped much.  For example, one feature I loved in
IPCHAINS was the ability to run packets through the software in a testing
mode and see what happened to them.  I haven't found a similar function in
IPTABLES yet.  From this comment in the IPTABLES man page, it isn't there yet:

>BUGS
>        Check is not implemented (yet).

(And some joker removed this from later versions of IPTABLES, but there is
still no "check" option!)

Now, how many MTAs have you encountered that let you "play" mail through
them to see what happens?  I've used fetchmail to do the job (inject a
mailstream) on a test system, and that helps quite a bit, but then again I
know about fetchmail because I once had to deal with ConcentricNet (XO) and
wanting to run mail sent to my account there through my spam filters, and I
have quite a corpus of spam mail I have saved just for the purpose.

Getting back to our mutton, until the marketplace requires a certain amount
of USEFUL knowledge in its administrators (something like the NSFnet days)
the things you are talking about will continue to be there.

OK, I'll shut up now.

Satch

--
X -> unknown; Spurt -> drip of water under pressure
Expert -> X-Spurt -> Unknown drip under pressure.