* Finalised 2.4 VM Documentation
@ 2003-05-19 12:53 Mel Gorman
From: Mel Gorman @ 2003-05-19 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've finalised all the documentation that I'm going to do for the 2.4 VM
and no further updates will be posted on the web site to this version. At
this stage it has been heavily read by a number of people and there hasn't
been a complaint or correction in a few weeks now.  I'm happy to say it is
now complete (and more importantly correct) and acts as a detailed
description of the 2.4 VM, the algorithms that it is based on and
comprehensive coverage of the code. People who are only interested in the
2.5.x VMs will still find it much easier to follow when they clearly know
how 2.4 is put together.

As always, it comes in two parts. The first part is the actual
documentation and gives a description of the whole VM. The second is a
code commentary which covers a significant percentage of the VM for
guiding through the messier parts. They are available in PDF, HTML and
plain text formats.

Main site: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/projects/vm/

Understanding the Linux Virtual Memory Manager
PDF:  http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/projects/vm/guide/pdf/understand.pdf
HTML: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/projects/vm/guide/html/understand/
Text: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/projects/vm/guide/text/understand.txt

Code Commentary on the Linux Virtual Memory Manager
PDF:  http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/projects/vm/guide/pdf/code.pdf
HTML: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/projects/vm/guide/html/code
Text: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/projects/vm/guide/text/code.txt

Thanks to all the people who read through it, helped me out and sent
encouragement. It's been fun.

--
Mel Gorman
http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel

* Re: Finalised 2.4 VM Documentation
@ 2003-05-20 11:19 ` Paulo Andre'
From: Paulo Andre' @ 2003-05-20 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 19 May 2003 13:53:05 +0100 (IST)
Mel Gorman <mel@csn.ul.ie> wrote:

> I've finalised all the documentation that I'm going to do for the 2.4
> VM and no further updates will be posted on the web site to this
> version.

Ok... now onwards to a full 2.6 VM documentation just like this one.

Kidding! Let me thank you for the effort you've put into this, for how
brilliantly put together it is and most of all for releasing it to the
general public. I for one, really appreciate this as it is one GIANT
leap towards documenting well an area of the kernel which has been
historically less than well documented.

Thanks again.

		Paulo

* Re: Finalised 2.4 VM Documentation
@ 2003-05-21  5:44 ` Denis Vlasenko
From: Denis Vlasenko @ 2003-05-21  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 May 2003 15:53, Mel Gorman wrote:
> I've finalised all the documentation that I'm going to do for the 2.4
> VM and no further updates will be posted on the web site to this
> version. At this stage it has been heavily read by a number of people
> and there hasn't been a complaint or correction in a few weeks now.
> I'm happy to say it is now complete (and more importantly correct)
> and acts as a detailed description of the 2.4 VM, the algorithms that
> it is based on and comprehensive coverage of the code. People who are
> only interested in the 2.5.x VMs will still find it much easier to
> follow when they clearly know how 2.4 is put together.
>
> As always, it comes in two parts. The first part is the actual
> documentation and gives a description of the whole VM. The second is
> a code commentary which covers a significant percentage of the VM for
> guiding through the messier parts. They are available in PDF, HTML
> and plain text formats.
>
> Main site: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/projects/vm/
>
> Understanding the Linux Virtual Memory Manager
> PDF:  http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/projects/vm/guide/pdf/understand.pdf
> HTML: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/projects/vm/guide/html/understand/
> Text: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/projects/vm/guide/text/understand.txt
>
> Code Commentary on the Linux Virtual Memory Manager
> PDF:  http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/projects/vm/guide/pdf/code.pdf
> HTML: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/projects/vm/guide/html/code
> Text: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/projects/vm/guide/text/code.txt
>
> Thanks to all the people who read through it, helped me out and sent
> encouragement. It's been fun.

Amazing stuff. Thank you.
--
vda

* Re: Finalised 2.4 VM Documentation
@ 2003-05-21 15:47   ` Mel Gorman
From: Mel Gorman @ 2003-05-21 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Paulo Andre' wrote:

> Ok... now onwards to a full 2.6 VM documentation just like this one.

heh, maybe much later, but not now. Even thinking about writing that much
again is making me cringe. When I start writing again, it'll be in the
form of notes rather than updating the whole document.

--
Mel Gorman