* how to PAE enable kernel?
  To: linux-kernel

hi,

we have a system with 4G, however, only approx 1G will be used.
dmesg issues the hint "use a PAE enabled kernel". silly question,
but how do I PAE enable a kernel? I have found a lot of messages
about PAE enabled kernels on the net, but not *how* to enable this
feature.

any hints please?

thanks in advance,
herbert

* Re: how to PAE enable kernel?

> hi,
>
> we have a system with 4G, however, only approx 1G will be used.
> dmesg issues the hint "use a PAE enabled kernel". silly question,
> but how do I PAE enable a kernel? I have found a lot of messages
> about PAE enabled kernels on the net, but not *how* to enable this
> feature.
>
> any hints please?

oh.

I see. I have to use enable 64GB, since 4 of the 4G lives above the
the 4G physical address limit. correct? sorry for interrupting ...

> thanks in advance,
> herbert
>
> -

* Re: how to PAE enable kernel?
@ 2003-07-24 13:36 ` Richard B. Johnson
From: Richard B. Johnson @ 2003-07-24 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, H.Rosmanith (Kernel Mailing List) wrote:

> hi,
>
> we have a system with 4G, however, only approx 1G will be used.
> dmesg issues the hint "use a PAE enabled kernel". silly question,
> but how do I PAE enable a kernel? I have found a lot of messages
> about PAE enabled kernels on the net, but not *how* to enable this
> feature.
>
> any hints please?
>
> thanks in advance,
> herbert

Well you can read ../linux-n.n.n/Documentation/Configure.help to
get a broad outline of the features available. Then delete the
CONFIG_NOHIMEM stuff in ../linux-n.n.n/.config and execute
`make oldconfig`, answering the questions you should now
understand from your previous research.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.20 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).