* chstk - URL?
@ 2003-10-01  9:19 Catalin BOIE
From: Catalin BOIE @ 2003-10-01  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi list, Ingo!

Where I can find the modified (by Info) chstk.c?
Thanks!

---
Catalin(ux) BOIE
catab@deuroconsult.ro

* Re: chstk - URL?
@ 2003-10-01  9:25 ` Catalin BOIE
From: Catalin BOIE @ 2003-10-01  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> Hi list, Ingo!
>
> Where I can find the modified (by Info) chstk.c?
> Thanks!

I take a closer look at Ingo's announce and I see that chstk is obsolete.

I use kernel 2.6.0-test6-mm1 with ecec-shield and X gives me sig 11.

A program must be compiled with new gcc to work with exec-shield and
without chstk?

Thank you for your time.

> ---
> Catalin(ux) BOIE
> catab@deuroconsult.ro
> -

---
Catalin(ux) BOIE
catab@deuroconsult.ro

* Re: chstk - URL?
@ 2003-10-01 16:16   ` Ingo Molnar
From: Ingo Molnar @ 2003-10-01 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catalin BOIE; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Catalin BOIE wrote:

> I use kernel 2.6.0-test6-mm1 with ecec-shield and X gives me sig 11.

for security reasons it's not possible to disable exec-shield for setuid
root processes (such as X). So the solution either to upgrade X to have
the fix or to switch off exec-shield when you start up X, and switch on
exec-shield afterwards. A bit painful the later method ...

(alternatively you can also disable the setuid-root protection in the
kernel, remove the two 'current->personality = PER_LINUX' lines from
fs/exec.c and recompile the kernel.)

> A program must be compiled with new gcc to work with exec-shield and
> without chstk?

no. The X segmenation fault is because the X module loader malloc()s
buffers for code and expects them to be executable. Those buffers were
non-executable on other architectures already, so the fix is really simple
- a oneliner #ifdef or so.

	Ingo