* Re: 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion
@ 2006-01-25 16:53 Randy.Dunlap
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2006-01-25 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Sweetman; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel, akpm

(sorry about breaking the threading)

On 1/24/06, Ed Sweetman <safemode@comcast.net> wrote:
> Randy.Dunlap wrote:

> >>I assume libata.atapi_enabled=1 is a boot arg, not some structure member
> >>in the source for the pata driver that i need to set to 1, correct?
> >>

> >Yes, it's a kernel boot option if libata is in the kernel image.
> >If libata is a loadable module, just use something like
> >       modprobe libata atapi_enabled=1
> >

> >>And you just built and tested it, how did you test if the atapi argument
> >>worked when you then say "not ATAPI" as something you tested?
> >>

> >Sorry, I mean that I built and booted a kernel with libata/PATA
> >hard drive (vs. legacy drivers/ide/ PATA support).  I have not
> >tested ATAPI at all and didn't mean to imply that I had.
> >
> >I reported on libata.atapi_enabled=1 based on documentation
> >and other emails that I have read.
> >

> >>In any case, i'll try out libata.atapi_enabled=1 and see if it detects
> >>the dvd drive.
> >>

> >HTH.  Please continue to post any questions or problems.
> >

> I Rebooted several times, both setting the option in the kernel boot
> args and editing the source to have it set by default.  No atapi devices
> are found/mentioned or even described as not found in dmesg/bootup.   So
> apparently, on my chipset, the amd/nvidia pata driver is not detecting
> atapi devices.
>
> 0000:00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev f2)
> 0000:00:07.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA
> Controller (rev f3)
> 0000:00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA
> Controller (rev f3)
>
> 0000:00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev f2)
> (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
>         Subsystem: Unknown device f043:815a
>         Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0
>         I/O ports at f000 [size=16]
>         Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>

> the atapi device in question is a plextor px-712A, it's the only device
> on the secondary channel.

And this is with using only ATA (libata) drivers in drivers/scsi/
and not ATA drivers in drivers/ide/, right?

Hm.  I guess we treat this as a bug report for NV ATA/ATAPI then.

I just tested my system with a Plextor PX-712SA drive plus
booting with libata.atapi_enabled=1 and the driver (not nv)
sees the ATAPI drive and can read it.

--
~Randy

* Re: 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion
@ 2006-01-26 11:09 ` Ed Sweetman
From: Ed Sweetman @ 2006-01-26 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy.Dunlap; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel, akpm

Randy.Dunlap wrote:

>(sorry about breaking the threading)
>
>On 1/24/06, Ed Sweetman <safemode@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Randy.Dunlap wrote:

>>>Yes, it's a kernel boot option if libata is in the kernel image.
>>>If libata is a loadable module, just use something like
>>>      modprobe libata atapi_enabled=1

>>>Sorry, I mean that I built and booted a kernel with libata/PATA
>>>hard drive (vs. legacy drivers/ide/ PATA support).  I have not
>>>tested ATAPI at all and didn't mean to imply that I had.
>>>
>>>I reported on libata.atapi_enabled=1 based on documentation
>>>and other emails that I have read.

>>>HTH.  Please continue to post any questions or problems.
>>>

>>I Rebooted several times, both setting the option in the kernel boot
>>args and editing the source to have it set by default.  No atapi devices
>>are found/mentioned or even described as not found in dmesg/bootup.   So
>>apparently, on my chipset, the amd/nvidia pata driver is not detecting
>>atapi devices.
>>
>>0000:00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev f2)
>>0000:00:07.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA
>>Controller (rev f3)
>>0000:00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA
>>Controller (rev f3)
>>
>>0000:00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev f2)
>>(prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
>>        Subsystem: Unknown device f043:815a
>>        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0
>>        I/O ports at f000 [size=16]
>>        Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>>

>>the atapi device in question is a plextor px-712A, it's the only device
>>on the secondary channel.
>>

>And this is with using only ATA (libata) drivers in drivers/scsi/
>and not ATA drivers in drivers/ide/, right?
>
>Hm.  I guess we treat this as a bug report for NV ATA/ATAPI then.
>
>I just tested my system with a Plextor PX-712SA drive plus
>booting with libata.atapi_enabled=1 and the driver (not nv)
>sees the ATAPI drive and can read it.

Indeed, this is with only libata.  I had scsi disk driver and cdrom
driver compiled in as well, because i assumed that the "low level"
libata drivers required those scsi interfaces to access the disks and
atapi devices that are found by libata.  ide isn't even compiled in.

Like i said, i booted with libata.atapi_enabled=1 and that produced
nothing about cdroms/atapi devices and then I simply set the variable to
1 in source and recompiled and booted and same problem.

my board is an Asus A8N-E and my plextor is on the PATA controller, not
the SATA like yours.  Perhaps mine would work too if it was sata, but it
appears that the pata driver has no provisions for atapi devices yet.

* Re: 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion
@ 2006-01-30 11:43 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2006-01-30 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy.Dunlap; +Cc: Ed Sweetman, linux-kernel, akpm

> I just tested my system with a Plextor PX-712SA drive plus
> booting with libata.atapi_enabled=1 and the driver (not nv)
> sees the ATAPI drive and can read it.

Parse error ;)

What driver is "the driver" ?

* Re: 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion
@ 2006-01-30 15:36   ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2006-01-30 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: Randy.Dunlap, Ed Sweetman, linux-kernel, akpm

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Alan Cox wrote:

> > I just tested my system with a Plextor PX-712SA drive plus
> > booting with libata.atapi_enabled=1 and the driver (not nv)
> > sees the ATAPI drive and can read it.
>
> Parse error ;)
>
> What driver is "the driver" ?

Oh, it was generic in that sentence, just not nv.
I was using libata-core + libata-scsi + ahci + scsi infrastructure.
Maybe I should have said "the drivers."  8;)

--
~Randy

* Re: 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion
@ 2006-02-03 21:54 ` Ed Sweetman
From: Ed Sweetman @ 2006-02-03 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy.Dunlap; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel, akpm

Still using mm kernels here, now on 2.6.16-rc1-mm5.   Still no atapi
device detection - much less function - when using the libata pata amd
driver for the nvidia Nforce4 chipset.   I tried, libata.atapi_enabled=1
and just atapi_enabled=1 in the boot args and nothing was mentioned
about atapi devices in dmesg.

Is it a known issue with the pata libata drivers that atapi isn't
working yet? ...  all i've seen is people with sata atapi devices
chiming in.

@ 2006-02-06 16:39   ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2006-02-06 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Sweetman; +Cc: Randy.Dunlap, Alan Cox, linux-kernel, akpm

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Ed Sweetman wrote:

> Still using mm kernels here, now on 2.6.16-rc1-mm5.   Still no atapi
> device detection - much less function - when using the libata pata amd
> driver for the nvidia Nforce4 chipset.   I tried, libata.atapi_enabled=1
> and just atapi_enabled=1 in the boot args and nothing was mentioned
> about atapi devices in dmesg.
>
> Is it a known issue with the pata libata drivers that atapi isn't
> working yet? ...  all i've seen is people with sata atapi devices
> chiming in.

Agreeing with your paragraph above.  I tested my SATA ATAPI CD/DVD
drive with libata/PATA (ata_piix controller driver) and could not
see the CD/DVD drive.

@ 2006-02-06 19:34     ` Harald Dunkel
From: Harald Dunkel @ 2006-02-06 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Randy.Dunlap, Ed Sweetman, Alan Cox, akpm

Hi all,

Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Ed Sweetman wrote:
>

> Agreeing with your paragraph above.  I tested my SATA ATAPI CD/DVD
> drive with libata/PATA (ata_piix controller driver) and could not
> see the CD/DVD drive.

Maybe it would be of general interest if somebody could post
how it is _supposed_ to work? Is there a conflict between
ata_piix and piix/mpiix? A short summary could be very helpfull
to identify problems, and to reduce confusion.

I got the impression that the current implementation seems to
be very fragile wrt. the kernel configuration, the module load
sequence, and the attributes to libata.

Hardware (Aopen MZ915-M):

0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GL Processor to I/O Controller (rev 0e)
0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family Graphics Controller (rev 0e)
0000:00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82915G Express Chipset Family Graphics Controller (rev 0e)
0000:00:1b.0 0403: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
0000:00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 04)
0000:00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 04)
0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 04)
0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 04)
0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 04)
0000:00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 04)
0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 04)
0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d4)
0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FR (ICH6/ICH6R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 04)
0000:00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FW (ICH6/ICH6W) SATA Controller (rev 04)
0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 04)
0000:02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 19)
0000:03:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16 (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)

0000:00:00.0 0600: 8086:2580 (rev 0e)
0000:00:02.0 0300: 8086:2582 (rev 0e)
0000:00:02.1 0380: 8086:2782 (rev 0e)
0000:00:1b.0 0403: 8086:2668 (rev 04)
0000:00:1c.0 0604: 8086:2660 (rev 04)
0000:00:1c.3 0604: 8086:2666 (rev 04)
0000:00:1d.0 0c03: 8086:2658 (rev 04)
0000:00:1d.1 0c03: 8086:2659 (rev 04)
0000:00:1d.2 0c03: 8086:265a (rev 04)
0000:00:1d.3 0c03: 8086:265b (rev 04)
0000:00:1d.7 0c03: 8086:265c (rev 04)
0000:00:1e.0 0604: 8086:244e (rev d4)
0000:00:1f.0 0601: 8086:2640 (rev 04)
0000:00:1f.2 0101: 8086:2651 (rev 04)
0000:00:1f.3 0c05: 8086:266a (rev 04)
0000:02:00.0 0200: 11ab:4362 (rev 19)
0000:03:00.0 0400: 4444:0016 (rev 01)

Many thanx

Harri

* Re: 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion
@ 2006-02-06 19:56       ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2006-02-06 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Dunkel; +Cc: linux-kernel, Randy.Dunlap, Ed Sweetman, akpm

On Llu, 2006-02-06 at 20:34 +0100, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> how it is _supposed_ to work? Is there a conflict between
> ata_piix and piix/mpiix? A short summary could be very helpfull
> to identify problems, and to reduce confusion.

MPIIX is totally different PCI identifiers so a different driver. It is
unrelated to any goings on here.

* Re: 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion + tsc sync issues
@ 2006-02-07  1:26           ` Ed Sweetman
From: Ed Sweetman @ 2006-02-07  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Sweetman; +Cc: Alan Cox, Harald Dunkel, linux-kernel, Randy.Dunlap, akpm

2.6.16-rc2 with the libata patch alan cox provided resulted in a system
which correctly found my atapi drive on the pata bus.

Also, moving from the mm kernels to 2.6.16-rc2 resulted in my pm timer
working again.

So, it may have been all along that libata had supported my atapi
device, but either the patch when it got merged with mm became broken or
something else in mm broke it, and something else in mm caused my pm
timer to stop being used.

Hopefully more people chime in with issues like this so the bug can be
tracked down in mm before the offending code makes it's way to a regular
release.

Also just to note, the patch to 2.6.16-rc2 alan cox made switches the
load order of pata and sata from mm, resulting in device name changes.
I guess now is a good time to start making label'd mounting a priority
in getting into actual use on my machine.

@ 2006-02-07  1:35             ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2006-02-07  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Sweetman; +Cc: safemode, alan, harald.dunkel, linux-kernel, rdunlap

Ed Sweetman <safemode@comcast.net> wrote:

(eek, top-posting!)

> 2.6.16-rc2 with the libata patch alan cox provided resulted in a system
> which correctly found my atapi drive on the pata bus.
>
> Also, moving from the mm kernels to 2.6.16-rc2 resulted in my pm timer
> working again.

I don't recall that.  Even 2.6.16-rc1-mm5?  What about rc1-mm4?

> So, it may have been all along that libata had supported my atapi
> device, but either the patch when it got merged with mm became broken or
> something else in mm broke it, and something else in mm caused my pm
> timer to stop being used.
>
> Hopefully more people chime in with issues like this so the bug can be
> tracked down in mm before the offending code makes it's way to a regular
> release.
>

> Also just to note, the patch to 2.6.16-rc2 alan cox made switches the
> load order of pata and sata from mm, resulting in device name changes.

That's bad.

* Re: 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion + tsc sync issues
@ 2006-02-07  1:53               ` Matthew Garrett
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2006-02-07  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton
  Cc: safemode, alan, harald.dunkel, linux-kernel, rdunlap, Ed Sweetman

Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org> wrote:

> That's bad.

Given that libata goes through the scsi layer at the moment, shifting
from the traditional PATA drivers to the libata ones is going to result
in a shift from hdfoo to sdbar. We're not really looking forward to this
from the distribution point of view, though I think the same thing
happened in the past when shifting from the ancient SATA drivers to the
libata ones.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.linux-rutgers.kernel@srcf.ucam.org

* Re: 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion
@ 2006-02-07  2:28         ` Ed Sweetman
From: Ed Sweetman @ 2006-02-07  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: Harald Dunkel, linux-kernel, Randy.Dunlap, akpm

@ 2006-02-07  3:33                 ` Ed Sweetman
From: Ed Sweetman @ 2006-02-07  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Garrett; +Cc: Andrew Morton, alan, harald.dunkel, linux-kernel, rdunlap

Matthew Garrett wrote:

>Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org> wrote:
>

>>That's bad.
>>

>Given that libata goes through the scsi layer at the moment, shifting
>from the traditional PATA drivers to the libata ones is going to result
>in a shift from hdfoo to sdbar. We're not really looking forward to this
>from the distribution point of view, though I think the same thing
>happened in the past when shifting from the ancient SATA drivers to the
>libata ones.

Well, the badness mentioned above is the swapping of what gets loaded
first from the testing branch to the upstream patches.   In mm, sata
gets loaded before pata in libata land.  In alan cox's patches it's the
reverse.  This results in different device names for the same config
when switching between mm and release, which is bad, but is a problem
that can be overcome with the use of labels instead of device names.

Perhaps from a distribution standpoint, moving to a label method of
describing what gets mounted where would be best, rather than worrying
about scsi naming schemes or ide ones.  Just think of the fun of a
system with multiple usb storage devices and such.
I'm just not sure if grub and the kernel "root=" parameter can handle it.

* Re: 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion + tsc sync issues
@ 2006-02-07  3:43               ` Ed Sweetman
From: Ed Sweetman @ 2006-02-07  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: alan, harald.dunkel, linux-kernel, rdunlap

Andrew Morton wrote:

>Ed Sweetman <safemode@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>(eek, top-posting!)
>

>>2.6.16-rc2 with the libata patch alan cox provided resulted in a system
>>which correctly found my atapi drive on the pata bus.
>>
>>Also, moving from the mm kernels to 2.6.16-rc2 resulted in my pm timer
>>working again.
>>

>I don't recall that.  Even 2.6.16-rc1-mm5?  What about rc1-mm4?

yes, 2.6.16-rc1-mm5 was the last kernel I was using before getting out
of mm.
I never tried mm4, but mm2 was also affected.

* Re: 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion + tsc sync issues
@ 2006-02-07 11:10                   ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2006-02-07 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Sweetman
  Cc: Matthew Garrett, Andrew Morton, harald.dunkel, linux-kernel, rdunlap

On Llu, 2006-02-06 at 22:33 -0500, Ed Sweetman wrote:
> first from the testing branch to the upstream patches.   In mm, sata
> gets loaded before pata in libata land.  In alan cox's patches it's the
> reverse.  This results in different device names for the same config

Thats just down the shape of the Makefile. It'll get resolved in the
merge of the code upstream over time according to the order Jeff puts
them in

> Perhaps from a distribution standpoint, moving to a label method of
> describing what gets mounted where would be best, rather than worrying

One reason I've not worried about this is I use Fedora so it "just
works"

> about scsi naming schemes or ide ones.  Just think of the fun of a
> system with multiple usb storage devices and such.
> I'm just not sure if grub and the kernel "root=" parameter can handle it.

They can't but they don't need too. See the Fedora/Red Hat mkinitrd
script and tools. The 'root' is the initrd and the tools it contains
find the real root by label. No kernel hackery needed.

* Re: 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion
@ 2006-01-25  1:56           ` Ed Sweetman
From: Ed Sweetman @ 2006-01-25  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy.Dunlap; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel, akpm

@ 2006-01-24 23:07         ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2006-01-24 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Sweetman; +Cc: Randy.Dunlap, Alan Cox, linux-kernel, akpm

@ 2006-01-24 23:01       ` Ed Sweetman
From: Ed Sweetman @ 2006-01-24 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy.Dunlap; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel, akpm

@ 2006-01-24 22:27     ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2006-01-24 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Sweetman; +Cc: Alan Cox, linux-kernel, akpm

--
~Randy

* Re: 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion
@ 2006-01-24 22:17   ` Ed Sweetman
From: Ed Sweetman @ 2006-01-24 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: linux-kernel, akpm

@ 2006-01-24 21:13       ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2006-01-24 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy.Dunlap; +Cc: Ed Sweetman, linux-kernel, akpm

On Maw, 2006-01-24 at 09:08 -0800, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> > and while I'm looking at the config menu, why do both
> > Compaq Triflex and Intel PATA MPIIX say (Raving Lunatic)?
>
> Lots of them say Raving Lunatic.  Are all of these Alan's libata
> patches?

They are a subset of them. The full patch now covers all the PCI devices
that are not platform specific except CMD640B if I counted right. It
also supports generic ISA, ISAPnP, PCMCIA and some VLB devices.

Needless to say not all of this works and less of it has been heavily
tested yet.

* Re: 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion
@ 2006-01-24 17:13     ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2006-01-24 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy.Dunlap; +Cc: Ed Sweetman, linux-kernel, akpm

On Maw, 2006-01-24 at 09:05 -0800, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> What is "MPIIX" anyway?

MPIIX was an early intel mobile chip. Its a PCI bridge, glue and the
like for pentium laptops with a built in PIO ATA controller.

> and while I'm looking at the config menu, why do both
> Compaq Triflex and Intel PATA MPIIX say (Raving Lunatic)?

So people don't casually select them. The current MPIIX driver will
remove the raving lunatic once it gets upstream.

* Re: 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion
@ 2006-01-24 17:08     ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2006-01-24 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy.Dunlap; +Cc: Alan Cox, Ed Sweetman, linux-kernel, akpm

@ 2006-01-24 17:05   ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2006-01-24 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: Ed Sweetman, linux-kernel, akpm

@ 2006-01-24 15:29 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2006-01-24 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Sweetman; +Cc: linux-kernel, akpm

@ 2006-01-24 14:51 ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2006-01-24 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Sweetman; +Cc: linux-kernel, akpm

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 01:43:20AM -0500, Ed Sweetman wrote:
> I have an nforce4 based motherboard.  Currently i'm using the amd/nvidia
> driver under the normal ide,ata driver section (2.6.14).
>
> It appears that the new ata code is hiding under scsi/sata drivers,
> including apparently pata code.  This alone reads confusing, pata

libata PATA support is under development.  Use only if you feel lucky.
Really lucky.  I mean, really really lucky.

> 1.  Atapi is most definitely not supported by libata, right now.

Not true.

> 2. whether libata sets the controller up better or not, ide cdroms MUST
> be loaded before libata is or the ide controller will be detected as
> "already in use" and the cdrom drivers wont have any device to attach
> to, since unlike scsi drivers, ide drivers dont probe the hardware on
> controllers to see if any driver has claimed them.

Either use drivers/ide or libata for PATA, not both.

> 3. For hdd's alone, the pata libata + sata drivers are a "complete"
> replacement for the ide drivers and thus, if you dont have atapi
> devices, you dont need to compile in ide support.

Again, ATAPI works just fine.

> 4.  moving to pata libata drivers _will_ change the enumeration of your
> sata devices, it seems that pata is initialized first, so when setting
> up your fstab entries and grub, you'll have to take into account how
> many pata devices you have and offset your current sata device names by
> that amount.

Enumeration of devices depends on which driver is loaded first.
Check your /etc/modprobe.conf.

	Jeff

* 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion
@ 2006-01-24  6:43 Ed Sweetman
From: Ed Sweetman @ 2006-01-24  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: akpm

I have an nforce4 based motherboard.  Currently i'm using the amd/nvidia
driver under the normal ide,ata driver section (2.6.14).

It appears that the new ata code is hiding under scsi/sata drivers,
including apparently pata code.  This alone reads confusing, pata
drivers under the sata driver section, but that's not really the
problem.  The problem is that there appears to be two nvidia/amd ata
drivers and I'm unsure which I should try using, if i compile both in,
which get loaded first (i assume scsi is second to ide) and if i want my
pata disks loaded under the new libata drivers, will my cdrom work under
them too, or do i still need some sort of regular ide drivers loaded
just for cdrom (to use native ata mode for recording access).

I couldn't find anything to explain how to deal with the new libata when
it apparently overlaps functionality with the old ata/ide code in the
Documentation directory, nor is it apparent if atapi is supported under
the new libata code, or if either should be loaded first or not for best
performance (if it matters). Or if they can both be loaded at the same
time at all.

I have booted numerous configurations and have found the following to be
true.