* RAID 5+0 support
@ 2006-01-19 16:52 govind raj
From: govind raj @ 2006-01-19 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all,

We are using EVMS 2.5.4 on Linux 2.6.12.6 kernel version.

We find that kernel modules are available for RAID0, 1, 5, 1+0 as part of
this kernel. But however, we do not find a similar module available for RAID
5+0. Can someone advise us of how we would be able to get this support added
into the kernel? If this is not required as a kernel module, how do we
create a RAID 5+0 using MD?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Govind

* Re: RAID 5+0 support
@ 2006-01-19 17:12 ` Kyle Moffett
From: Kyle Moffett @ 2006-01-19 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: govind raj; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Jan 19, 2006, at 11:52, govind raj wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are using EVMS 2.5.4 on Linux 2.6.12.6 kernel version.
>
> We find that kernel modules are available for RAID0, 1, 5, 1+0 as
> part of this kernel. But however, we do not find a similar module
> available for RAID 5+0. Can someone advise us of how we would be
> able to get this support added into the kernel? If this is not
> required as a kernel module, how do we create a RAID 5+0 using MD?

Raid math:
RAID(5+0) == RAID(5) + RAID(0)

Commands:

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=5 --raid-devices=3 /dev/sda /dev/sdb /
dev/sdc
mdadm --create /dev/md1 --level=5 --raid-devices=3 /dev/sdd /dev/sde /
dev/sdf
mdadm --create /dev/md3 --level=0 --raid-devices=2 /dev/md0 /dev/md1

I believe this is all amply documented on a variety of md websites.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

* Re: RAID 5+0 support
@ 2006-01-19 17:26 ` Phillip Susi
From: Phillip Susi @ 2006-01-19 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: govind raj; +Cc: linux-kernel

Why on earth would you want to stripe two raid-5's instead of using one
raid-5 that is twice as big?  You'd get more usable disk space that way.

govind raj wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are using EVMS 2.5.4 on Linux 2.6.12.6 kernel version.
>
> We find that kernel modules are available for RAID0, 1, 5, 1+0 as part
> of this kernel. But however, we do not find a similar module available
> for RAID 5+0. Can someone advise us of how we would be able to get
> this support added into the kernel? If this is not required as a
> kernel module, how do we create a RAID 5+0 using MD?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
>
> Govind
>

> -
> linux-kernel" in

* Re: RAID 5+0 support
@ 2006-01-19 18:07   ` Lars Marowsky-Bree
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree @ 2006-01-19 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Susi, govind raj; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 2006-01-19T12:26:10, Phillip Susi <psusi@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> Why on earth would you want to stripe two raid-5's instead of using one
> raid-5 that is twice as big?  You'd get more usable disk space that way.

If redundancy is the goal - to be able to withstand two drive failures
-, RAID6 would be the considerably better choice.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée

--
High Availability & Clustering
SUSE Labs, Research and Development

* Re: RAID 5+0 support
@ 2006-01-19 18:36   ` Martin Drab
From: Martin Drab @ 2006-01-19 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Susi; +Cc: govind raj, linux-kernel

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Phillip Susi wrote:

> Why on earth would you want to stripe two raid-5's instead of using one raid-5
> that is twice as big?  You'd get more usable disk space that way.

Speed is the issue here, I believe. By stripping two RAID-5 arrays you
ought to get the reliability of the RAID-5 but with considerably higher
speed. That's basically why RAID-50 exists, I think.

Martin

* Re: RAID 5+0 support
@ 2006-01-19 19:06     ` Phillip Susi
From: Phillip Susi @ 2006-01-19 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Drab; +Cc: govind raj, linux-kernel

Martin Drab wrote:
> Speed is the issue here, I believe. By stripping two RAID-5 arrays you
> ought to get the reliability of the RAID-5 but with considerably higher
> speed. That's basically why RAID-50 exists, I think.

One big raid-5 would have higher speed because it would have one more
disk allocated to storing data rather than more parity.  The raid 5+0
isn't really going to be any more reliable because it can withstand a
single failure in either half, but not two failures in one half, so in
the face of a double failure, you have a 50/50 chance of one being in
each half.

* Re: RAID 5+0 support
@ 2006-01-19 20:14       ` Martin Drab
From: Martin Drab @ 2006-01-19 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Susi; +Cc: govind raj, linux-kernel

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Phillip Susi wrote:

> Martin Drab wrote:
> > Speed is the issue here, I believe. By stripping two RAID-5 arrays you ought
> > to get the reliability of the RAID-5 but with considerably higher speed.
> > That's basically why RAID-50 exists, I think.
>
> One big raid-5 would have higher speed because it would have one more disk
> allocated to storing data rather than more parity.  The raid 5+0 isn't really
> going to be any more reliable because it can withstand a single failure in
> either half, but not two failures in one half, so in the face of a double
> failure, you have a 50/50 chance of one being in each half.

Well, yes and no. See for instance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#RAID_50_.28RAID_5.2B0.29

Martin