* cdrecording status
@ 2004-12-13 22:00 Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2004-12-13 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello list,

an info for the enthusiastic:

I have played a little with my new cd/dvd/whatnot writer and just had this
idea (see pic). Well then, DVD+RW makes it possible.
    http://linux01.org:2222/gfx0/madness.jpg
The worst thing is not the atime update (as cdrecord-prodvd manual says), but
the initial mount / log replay which seeks a lot more.

Commands used were:
  cdrecord-prodvd -dev=/dev/hdc -format -v
  mkreiserfs -f /dev/hdc
(Looks like the =/dev/hdc method works best (besides =ATAPI:x,y,z or
=ATA:x,y,z), even though cdrecord bleaks about it.)

And the question aside: is writing CD-RW in packet mode also supported in 2.6,
like DVD+RW is?

Jan Engelhardt
--
ENOSPC

* Re: cdrecording status
@ 2004-12-14  9:49 ` Adrian von Bidder
From: Adrian von Bidder @ 2004-12-14  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Monday 13 December 2004 23.00, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> I have played a little with my new cd/dvd/whatnot writer and just had
> this idea (see pic). Well then, DVD+RW makes it possible.
>     http://linux01.org:2222/gfx0/madness.jpg

Just wondering: how many write cycles do DVD+RW media support?

-- vbi

--
Last week's pet, this week's special.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 388 bytes --]

* Re: cdrecording status
@ 2004-12-14 10:18   ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2004-12-14 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrian von Bidder; +Cc: linux-kernel

>> I have played a little with my new cd/dvd/whatnot writer and just had
>> this idea (see pic). Well then, DVD+RW makes it possible.
>>     http://linux01.org:2222/gfx0/madness.jpg
>
>Just wondering: how many write cycles do DVD+RW media support?

Honestly I do not know, but I hope they can at least sustain as much as CD-RW
can (usually 1000x). Plus, it's for DVD+RW, it always uses packet mode, and as
such I damn hope that DVD+RW manufacturers keep in mind that a byte position
might be overwritten more than 1000 times.

* Re: cdrecording status
@ 2004-12-14 11:51     ` Wakko Warner
From: Wakko Warner @ 2004-12-14 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Engelhardt; +Cc: Adrian von Bidder, linux-kernel

> Honestly I do not know, but I hope they can at least sustain as much as CD-RW
> can (usually 1000x). Plus, it's for DVD+RW, it always uses packet mode, and as
> such I damn hope that DVD+RW manufacturers keep in mind that a byte position
> might be overwritten more than 1000 times.

Isn't that what DVD-RAM is for?  IIRC, it's overwrite count is 100,000.

* Re: cdrecording status
@ 2004-12-14 15:11       ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2004-12-14 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: linux-kernel

>> Honestly I do not know, but I hope they can at least sustain as much as CD-RW
>> can (usually 1000x). Plus, it's for DVD+RW, it always uses packet mode, and as
>> such I damn hope that DVD+RW manufacturers keep in mind that a byte position
>> might be overwritten more than 1000 times.
>
>Isn't that what DVD-RAM is for?  IIRC, it's overwrite count is 100,000.

Now that's "just" 100 times more than a CD/DVD. However, the buffer cache is a
really nice thing to have -- especially on such media.

Jan Engelhardt
--
ENOSPC